Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Removal of fallopian tubes - drastic or necessary?

Hi all,

This is my first time ever on a forum / site of this kind, so not sure on the right way to begin / question asking, so here goes!

My husband and I were TTC for a year, but when I did my test the HSG ( I think) showed that my fallopian tubes were blocked. It turns out I have distal blockage, and the doctor told me that as they were full of liquid they'd have to make a small incision to remove the liquid. 

I went to the surgery today for a pre-op consultation, and they said that they actually recommend removing both tubes completely, meaning I'll only ever be able to conceive through IVF. 

She explained the reasons to me (IVF has 50% better rate of working when tubes aren't there due to the toxic nature of fluid), but a part of me is concerned about how final this is.

Has anyone out there had both their tubes removed? Or had a distal blockage that was unblocked?

Thanks all

HopefulD

Replies

• I'm in the same position as you. I have chronic bilateral tube blockage with hydrosalphinx & after a failed round of ivf have been advised to have them clipped or removed before our next transfer.

Can I ask what you ended up deciding & why?

I'm off for a second opinion in Monday & if this doctor agrees I'll most likely go ahead with the removal. My tubes don't work anyway so whatever gives us the best chance if conceiving I guess we'll go with.
  • Hi,

I also was given the option of removal of tubes.  I only have one and the one I do have is completely fused so they were worried that IVF would end with a ectopic pregnancy.  I chose not to have it removed on the very slight chance that natural pregnancy might occur.  It is such a hard decision to make.  Good luck.

x