Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions

IVF referral

hey guys just had my first gynaecology app on wednesday he went over my recent blood test saying I ovulate and my partners spermcount is good. As we've been ttc for 7 years he said I have unexplained Infertility And offered to refer  for ivf. I have an option to try iui first what's your thoughts? is it worth a try first? 

Replies

• Hi Angela

I think its worth a try. I know they can recommend IVF more as it has a higher success rate but IUI is less invasive and worth a go, especially if they say you ovulate and your partners sperm count is good. I just did a course of IUI and opted for it as didn't want to jump straight to IVF. We decided to do the IUI as my hormone level was good but my partner had low mobility so we thought maybe we just needed a little help getting his swimmers there lol. Technically it did work for us but I ended up having a chemical pregnancy (don't let that put you off). We are going to try it again in a couple of months time. Good luck with whatever you decide to do

• Hey thanks for your thoughts im new to all this and wished I had asked my gynaecologist for more information at the time. I think I was a bit shocked as he said ivf straight away. I thought he would have checked tubes and ovaries. I'm currently on the list for iui but can phone at any time and ask to be referred for ivf. I'm sitting on the fence! Sorry it didn't work out for you. Good luck with your next attempt! 

• Ring them and ask all the questions, that's what they are there for. I would have thought though they would have done all tests first just to check for blockages etc. I'd be asking them about the likes of that. I'm in Ireland and have had to go private for treatment, due to long waiting lists and my age. The doc said before he had done any tests we would probably have to go straight to IVF but after the tests, one of which was tube test to check there was no blockages he came back and said we could do IUI or IVF. he was more pushing for IVF because of success rate with it, which is higher then IUI but as I say we decided to give that a go first.

• I'm not sure why they didn't check them first but suggested Ivf or iui It's strange. I have been pregnant before 8 years ago but lost the baby around 25 weeks. Maybe he's presuming everything is fine. I'm in scotland and he said the waiting time is around 9 months. My next app I will be a lot more organised with questions. 

• I'm sorry for your loss, that must have been very hard. Gosh that is a long time to wait for an apt. But as you say you can get yourself organised and have loads of questions for them

• He said waiting time roughly 9 months for ivf so I don't have a clue when my next apointment is. Fingers crossed its not too long away. But for now I'm on the list for iui until I ask to be referred for Ivff and he said I can just phone and speak to his secratery.