Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

ICSI - Overwhelmed at start of journey

Hello ladies,

After TTC for 14 months & with DH already having 2 children with his ex (he's 42, I'm 33) we were referred to a consultant. I thought the issue was me because I have irregular periods & a short LP (8-9 days). Turns out his SA is 5 million. The Dr said we should go straight for ICSI. I had another blood test to confirm hormone levels (back in May my progesterone level was a bit low) & ultrasound (normal) & DH has just done a repeat SA. We get all the results on Thursday. We're trying everything - supplements, acupuncture, yoga plus all the normal things like limiting alcohol, caffeine, eating well etc.

Just feeling overwhelmed & sad, wondering if anyone can advise what comes next assuming no change when we get results in a couple days?

Replies

• Hi there just seen your post. I hope this message finds you well? 

Im due to have an app with the Wessex fertility clinic in Nov so trying to find any advice from people who have experienced it. 

• Hi ladies,

I have no experience with ICSI, mine are IVFs. But I've read a lot of other women's stories about ICSI, so I have an advice. Some told that they went on gluten and dairy free diet while preparing for IUI/ICSI/IVF, as these products were influencing on the chances of getting pregnant. Unfortunately, I cannot recall any other details... 

Also, if your new results show no improvement, you will be prescribed with corresponding meds. And then you'll have to do the tests again. Agree, it's important to know that you are ready for the ICSI. 

In case you have a failed first cycle of ICSI, you will have to make a couple of additional cycles. If they are also unsuccessful, then your Dr will have to advise you other ways to get pregnant based on your medical history.

In any way, try not to get upset straight away. Fertility journey requires a lot of strength and emotions, it can be devastating sometimes, so it's better to stay positive and accept all the issues calmly. This is a real rollercoaster of emotions and moods. And never give up, because the result is always worth it! Good luck to you! I hope to hear good news from you soon 😉

• Post deleted by MadeForMums. 
    Here's a link to our Chat guidelines. 

• Hi,

has abyone managed to get anymore info on ICSI process?im about to go for treatment soon. would be greatfull for any info please x

• Hi lockdown. Afraid not. We have our first consultation at he end of November. What clinic are you using? We're using wessex In Southampton. Have you had a consultation Yet? Wishing you lots of luck and hope all goes well. x

• Thanks Hannahdear. Love the name, reminds me of Mrs doubtfire dear 😂 

How have you found your own personal IVF journey? I've read so many amazing books that have helped give me some insight as to what to expect. Have you had any side affects from the meds mood wise etc and did you inform your work? i haven't started yet were due to habe our initial consultation end of November so I'd imagibe we won't start treatment until next year now. I'm quite nervous but get reallt positive days then some not so positive days and feel very anxious about it. It's something I guess that's out of our control so it's bound to being out some anxiety. Wishing you lots of luck and thanks for all your advice x

• Hi. I understand the need to be prepared. However, no need to assume the worst before you get the test results. ICSI is a good option. It can improve the effectiveness of IVF greatly. Especially if the problem is male factor infertility. Be prepared, though, for multiple attempts.

• Hi! I should say ICSI process is not so smooth as it may seem. I've read somewhere about risks and benefits of the procedure. And it is helpful when there is a male factor, but Ask your doc about ICSI risks and benefits. It is important for you and your partner to discuss it thoroughly. Your doctor can provide information that’s specific to your personal fertility history. Getting a better understanding of ICSI issues and how they may impact you and your family can help you draw an informed conclusion. Good luck!

• Hi all, myself and my partner have just had our initial referal appointment to the hospital fertility part. Can anyone enlightened me of what to  soft? my go has already said it looks as though icsi will be the only option for us due to my other halfs sperm count and how there shaped/swimming. Is there a higher success rate all being well with my eggs? And does anyone know what one full nhs cycle includes? I see this just one go or does it include using any left over eggs that have been retrieved Andrew frozen? Thanks!