Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Starting the PGD process

wondering if anybody has any advise and experience with PGD. Me and my husband have just had our first consultation with the gentics team and funding has been granted. Extreamly excited but also nervous as i dont know what to expect and have no idea on the time frame . Any advice would be brilliant 

thanks 

Replies

• I'm taking medication now ready for egg collection next week and we're doing PGD. We had to get blood samples from parents and consent forms filled in. Had to have lab work done about 12 weeks before we could start and then have to do a frozen transfer so that they can identify the right embryos to put back in which I think is an extra 3-4 weeks. Apart from those steps its a very similar process to normal IVF. Only pain for us has been than the nearest hospital to offer it is 2.5 hours away! From our first appointment with the genetics team up to the egg collection it will have taken about 17 months. Good luck - it's very exciting!

• Thank you for the reply 

we are in the and boat we live in Manchester and our nearest centre is London guys and Thomas most of our work up is being done in shefield but still 1hr 45 min drive be worth it though 😊 

we have had the next appointment arranged with the assisted conception unit for the end of this month which I'm hoping means we sign concent forms and then get a start date but might be my wishful thinking 😂

How are you finding the medication ?

good luck with everything 

• We're at Guys - they're really good! All the form filling in is a bit of a blur now but things moved fairly quickly once we were seen there.

The medication is actually fine - drinking lots of water to keep headaches away as recommended by the nurses. I've had a few pains and my tummy feels bloated but only in the second week of jabs. Hopefully that's a sign that my follicles are growing as last scan showed them on the small side. I was really nervous doing the first injection but got used to them really quickly and now they're a breeze! Hope yours all goes well! 

• awwww good to hear Iv read quite a few things in forums that say guys is slow and that CARE are better but our generic counsilor in Manchester recommended Guys and to be fair they have been brilliant with us. Meeting the assisted conception unit soon which I'm now counting down the days till 😂

ohh lovely I'm a nurse myself so I'm hoping ill be ok with the injecting part just nervous about the side effects. Your well on your way though fingers and toes crossed for you😊😊