Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions

IVF 5 day transfer - 2ww and going crazy!

Hi everyone,

I really need someone to talk to that's in the same boat as me. I'm currently 3dp5dt and I stupidly tested today (WAY too early) and it was obviously negative. I knew it would be but I just couldn't stop myself. I'm trying everything I can to distract myself...netflix box sets, reading, walking, setting up lunch dates with friends (who by the way are ALL pregnant) but for some reason I just can't stop thinking that this is going to be a negative for us. 

Just so you're aware...DH and I have been trying for 4 years, had lap for endo last October and were then referred for IVF. Started the process in July, ended up with 11 eggs, 5 fertilised (one via IVF and four with ICSI) and had two put back in at day 5.

Now in 2ww and I don't know what to do with myself. I'm taking progesterone pessaries 3 times a day and they really make me feel weird...loads of pregnancy type symptoms which is just cruel! I've had really bad cramping and on day 1 post transfer, had a very tiny speck of mucusy blood (sorry tmi). Now I can't stop thinking that one of them came out! Have another 8 days to wait. 

What can I do to stop thinking about this!!?!

Replies

• Hi! I'm sorry for this late post. Would love to have shared the tips earlier. I have found them on boards. They were really helpful for me during my tww. 

Have support either from your partner, relatives, friends.

Make sure you rest. You do not have to stay in bed but try to relax, watch movies, listen to music, curl up on the sofa and read a book, enjoy a lovely meal. It may be helpful to take some time off work. 

Keep yourself busy. Distraction is very important during this period of time. 

Talk to your partner about your feelings. Support for one another is extremely important in making sure that you are mentally and emotionally in the right space. 

Be aware of the internet. Be careful not to spend the whole two weeks online reading about other women’s experiences and searching for information on signs of positive or negative outcomes of fertility treatments. Too much time online can lead to too much obsessing. 

Write your thoughts in a journal. You can write your thoughts down throughout the day as they pop up. Or you can do it once a day on regular basis - put all the things that are turning over and over in your mind down on paper and out of your head.

Use relaxation techniques. Try meditation. Take slow, deep breaths when you are feeling anxious. These techniques can assist you physiologically, as  well as being mentally calming.

Try to be happy about the present and let the future simply unfold. Be kind to yourself. 

I hope this message will find you well and happy x