Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

ICSI - Guys Hospital

Hi, I have recently been referred for one round of NHS funded ICSI through my CCG to Guys Hospital, has anyone previously been to Guys for IVF/ICSI? How did you find it and how long did you wait before your first appointment? I'm incredibly excited we have finally been given a shot and we can't wait to get started! 

Replies

• Hi Sarah,

I've just had my referral sent to Guys for ICSI too so sounds like I'm about a month behind you! Have you received your first appointment yet? I'm really struggling to find any forums where people are also going to Guys for treatment! I've found one person so far who had her first appointment booked in for about 10 weeks after her referral was sent.

Good luck!

• Hi! It's nice to hear from someone going through the same thing. We actually had our first appointment yesterday, although I beleive ours was delayed as the hospital didn't send the referral to the right address which was annoying but once they received this we were sent a questionnaire and around a week after that we got a call saying could we come in for the following week which was yesterday. I think it depends on how quickly the funding is agreed before first appointment. They were great in the hospital, explained everything clearly was on time for appointments. Hopefully it's not too long until your first appointment 😊

• Wow that all moved quickly once they got in touch! That's annoying your referral went to the wrong address, I think I might call them next week to check it's arrived. 

How was your first appointment? Was it just paperwork or did they also do tests? Must be exciting to be getting started 🙂

• Yess it was really frustrating but I'm just glad it's all sorted now, did you contact them in the end? 

The first appointment was a lot better than expected  I had a whole list of questions but the doctor answered nearly of them before the end so I only had one or two really,  I had to have another scan just to check all was well there (as we are having ivf due to my partners sperm count) and then we both had to have a blood test and a urine also for me. There were a lot of forms to sign but I couldn't fault them for how the first meeting went, was a lot of information to digest but if rather be overprepared. 

Have you heard anything from them yet?? 

• Yes I called them on Thursday and they confirmed they've received the referral and that I should be getting a call next week to arrange my first appointment! I'm trying to not get carried away with how quickly things might move as I know it's only setting myself up to be disappointed.

I'm glad they are so thorough in the first appointment as I'm the same as you and will have a ton of questions prepare! Have you been given a start date yet? 

• That's great news! It does seem to be with IVF you wait so long then everything happens at once. Their online information evening I found really helpful, they send you a link to youtube once you have your consultation date but its a good watch. 

It was the common theme in the waiting room women with our binders full of information and paperwork. 

So I've been put on the short cycle so I have to go onto the contraceptive pill for a month before starting the down reg, I was midway through my period at my appointment so have to wait until March to start on the pill so I think it will be mid April when I can start the injections. I'm terrified but I can't wait. 

Hopefully it's not long until you get your appointment date this week :)