Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

World of 'Going Private' & IVF #confused.com

Hi All,

It looks as though my partner and i may have go private for IVF/fertility treatments. I have posted in the last couple of months re our conception struggles & how the NHS wont help us due to my partner having children with a previous partner. 

After 2 years TTC & 1 year of begging GP's to help & changing doctors we are no nearer knowing what the issue is and we have come to the conclusion that if we want to even start investigating and hopefully one day starting a family we may need to reach (deeply) into our pockets. In one year i've only had LOTS of blood tests which are all normal and i seem to ovulate every month.

We are starting to look around for clinics but i am getting a little lost in the world of fertility clinics and treatments and pricing. I struggle even booking a holiday online due to choices and options!
We would really appreciate some advice/tips on 'going private' from someone with experience.

What to look for and what to avoid?
Do prices vary depending on clinic or are prices quite standard?
Is it worth traveling for treatment?
Are there treatments that some places push that are not necessary?
Do some clinic's offer deals and should they be trusted?
Are there any specific clinics that can be recommended?

For reference we are based in Sussex but are obviously willing to travel.

Thank you in advance - i cant tell you how lovely it is to speak on such a personal and secretive subject :) #prayingforbfp  o:)

Replies

• Hi Alice, the best advice I can give you is to start with HFEA, they are the authority on fertility in the UK and their website has tons of information. I am at a private clinic and all I can say to you is check out a few before you settle on one cause you have to feel comfortable as it’s such an intimate personal thing. Prices are roughly they same and usually all clinics make you and your partner do fertility checks and they often push an appointment at a counsellor on you although it’s not mandatory to use them. If you have any other specific questions I will try and help just give me a shout, good luck with it all xxxx
  • @Kazam2817 Thank you for your advice - i will have a little look on HFEA today.
    What clinic/treatment have you opted for and is this your first TTC?
    Yesterday we took some advice and booked a 'female fertility MOT' with the London women's clinic in Harley street for the 3rd Aug.
    They have offered blood tests, an ultrasound scan and consultation for £275 which i thought was reasonable and much more than my GP had offered.
    They offer a free hours seminar on couples fertility which we will attend before hand.
    Once i have a little more insight on what the issue may be we can then make an informed decision on the best treatments to go for i assume.

I have emailed a few clinics regarding a meeting or consultation but alot of places have said the initial fee is around £200 to even discuss. Is that normal? I was kind of hoping to check a few facilities but at £200 a pop i am worried i would settle for the first place!

Thank you again! x
  • Hi,

I am in Scotland so go to a private facility in Glasgow. For initial consultations and tests it was approx £800 but that’s because I had to have an HSG test (where they test your tubes) initial consultation, AMH test (eee how many eggs you have) . We are doing assisted IUI and it’s costing us 1250 a time. We also use donor sperm so had to book a pregnancy slot which was £500 and then pay for viles of speed at around £175. It is initially very expensive but we are at the point where we would pay anything to have our bubba so if we can keep affording to we will go as long as it takes.

some clinics do open evenings which are free where you ca. See the facility meet some of the staff and ask them questions. We went to a few of those before deciding where we wanted to go. Good luck with it all xx
  • @Kazam2817 thank you so much for you advice and i hope it all goes well for you, id love an update on how its going xx
  • Hi @x-Alice-x Well I am currently 14dpo, due AF today and still no sign of her which on the one hand is a good thing but i also still am currently getting BFN's :( so I am losing hope that it worked this time. However, I am back at the clinic tomorrow for blood work and will know for definite tomorrow afternoon if AF hasn't come by then xx
  • @Kazam2817 14 dpo is  good sign though....i hear that sometime the tests can take a while to show positive? are you normally quite regular?
    please keep me updated! - im crossing so much for you!! x
  • Thank you so much but I am doubtful just because i would have expected a BFP by now. I have PCOS so normally still quite regular around 32 day but i had fertility drugs to bring on my ovulation this month and so i should have ovulated on the 11th which was two weeks ago today so just waiting it out at the moment xx
  • i understand - well i have everything crossed for you! will you go for the IUI again if it hasn't worked this time? please let me know how it goes x
  • Yes we will do it again if it hasnt worked this month, I will keep you updated x
  • Hi @x-Alice-x  just letting you know blood work confirmed IUI was unsuccessful this month. Just waiting for AF and will then try again. Xxx
  • Hi @Kazam2817. I’m sorry this wasn’t your month but yours will come I’m sure! Your going for another IUI this cycle? X
  • Hi @ x-Alice-x yes we are hoping to go again next month. Hopefully we have better luck this time 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻
  • x-Alice-xx-Alice-x Regular
    edited Jul 29, 2019 9:53AM
    Hi @Kazam2817....AF arrived on Sunday  :( i had to be immunized for rubella this morning so i'm not able to have unprotected sex for 4 weeks now...on wards and upwards though! 
    When is your next appointment? x