Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Starting iui

We have just started the iui process for the first time am in a same sex relationship anyone any advice and can any one tell us what to expect hopfully have r first try in the next few months 

Replies

• Hi, I'm in a same sex relationship too. My wife and I are currently in the middle of our 3rd cycle of IUI, 2nd with fertility meds as I was diagnosed with PCOS. 

We had a natural round at one clinic (which then closed its fertility department and we are now at another clinic. Both clinics did it differently). 

1st clinic checked all my bloods and we had a HYCOSY test (where they flush dye through your tubes to make sure there are no blockages etc). They gave us the clear blue digital ovulation test and told us to go away and come back when we had a solid smiley face. We went in on the day of solid smiley, they gave me an internal scan and showed that we had a good sized follicle, they then took us to another room where I got ready and then they took us to theatre and inseminated. I had to take in a urine sample two weeks later. - IUI didn't work this time. 

2nd clinic. They have started me on fertility drugs. So day 2 or 3 of my period I have to take the drug letrozole (Femara) once in the morning and once at night for 5 days (to stimulate egg growth), 2 days after I stop taking the tablets I go and have blood tests and an internal scan to see if I have any viable looking follicles (last time I had 3 but only 1 made it to the right size) I then give myself a trigger shot (to stimulate the follicle to release the egg, go back the day after that and get inseminated, 5-7 days later i give myself another shot to help sustain progesterone levels. Two weeks after the insemination I go back for blood tests. - IUI didnt work first time doing this but we are now about to do the 2nd. 

I hope that helps but if you need more information or have any questions feel free to DM me as I sometimes miss posts but will pick up DM's, good luck with it all xxx
  • I've just had my blood test to test my egg levels have to go back on the 29th to get results and set out a plan 
  • Good much with it all it’s not as scary as you might think xx