Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions

Rejected ivf

My daughter has had 6 self funded rounds of iui as she is gay. She was told by her health authority that she would now qualify for 3 Nhs funded rounds of off after this. One of the iui rounds resulted in a positive result but a scan at about 4 weeks showed no heartbeat and she miscarried.  It is possible that it was an empty sac . She has now Ben t's she cannot have Nhs funded ivf as she does meet the infertility guidelines.  She is devastated. Can she appeal?

Replies

• Sorry about typos. Upset! Meant self funded rounds of IVF . Also been told she doesn't qualify for funded IVF because of this.  Hope message makes sense now
  • Where do you live? In Scotland you're entitled to the same as heterosexual couples as long as you don't smoke, BMI is healthy then you're doctor should refer you to the assisted fertility clinic. I don't know the rules anywhere else, sorry :(
  • Thanks for your response. She comes under Tameside which is Manchester. The NHS there offers 3 rounds of funded IVF regardless of sexuality provided gay couples have had 6 rounds of IUI at a cost of £6000. The fifth round showed a positive result but was an empty gestational sac. However, they are saying as this shows she is not infertile she is not entitled to NHS funding for IVF. I assume they say the same to straight couples who have suffered a miscarriage. They do intend to appeal so gingers crossed.
  • I wouldn’t have thought they were allowed to do that so hopefully she wins her appeal x 
  • I hope so too! She is feeling pretty devastated at the moment as you can imagine. Thank you again for getting in touch x
  • Maggiejo said:
    Thanks for your response. She comes under Tameside which is Manchester. The NHS there offers 3 rounds of funded IVF regardless of sexuality provided gay couples have had 6 rounds of IUI at a cost of £6000. The fifth round showed a positive result but was an empty gestational sac. However, they are saying as this shows she is not infertile she is not entitled to NHS funding for IVF. I assume they say the same to straight couples who have suffered a miscarriage. They do intend to appeal so gingers crossed.
    Hello Maggie, ask your daughter to hop on in here.  She might feel better looking at these posts and getting some encouragement.  That's why I love these forums.  They make me feel better.  Please update us on her appeal.  We're in Cambridge and it would help us a lot.  Although we are already going out of country next month to have a sperm donation.  It's cheaper.  And I admire you for supporting your daughter by the way.  Not much luck from my parents.  So, good luck!
  • Thank you for your response . I will suggest she joins this group. Good luck with your trip. Hope it works out for you x