Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions

Help.

Hello all, I'm new to the site but read a few comment about IVF funding 'struggles' to put it mildly.
I have just come off the phone from ivf consultant to say we will need ivf to conceive however it will cost nearly £9000! Completely out of our realms of possibility can't even get finance in this current covid situation... I am 41, I have epilepsy and was told by my neurologist 20 years ago don't bother having a child it will come out deformed! I was totally devastated and felt like being a mum was not going to be an option and what a bad person I must be. Fast forward 15yrs later I had an epilepsy review as normal but got upset and was discussing about children. The lovely lady young neurologist said there is minimal chances of that and should not give up the thought of being a mum!!! So began the TTC naturally but no anyways went to dr etc etc referred for checks took 2yrs total to now be told I don't qualify for nhs funding, age and my partner has a child whom is 21, she was 17 when we got together. 
Sorry this is all over the place just my head is completely blown from today and I just don't know what to do or where to turn and wondering if anyone had any advice? Kate x

Replies

• ThehappyvetThehappyvet Regular
    edited Feb 19, 2021 8:11PM
    KateP79 said:
    I am 41, I have epilepsy and was told by my neurologist 20 years ago don't bother having a child it will come out deformed!

Wow. Deformed... Not only he gave you false information, he was insensitive. A trait no doctor should have. FYI my uncle was epileptic, he couldn't even drive a car from the frequent seizures, but his five children are healthy, one of them has ADHD, and this is hardly a bad thing in the 21st century.
    As for the cost and all the roadblocks of the NHS, I'm on the same boat.
    I was TTC for two years, I'm two years younger than you and switched to IVF. I don't have fat pockets, and the stress that I'm running out time sometimes is killing me, especially now, with the Covid outbreak. Have you considered travelling abroad? It's a good and realistic option, at least to me.
  • Hmm..my sis in law is epileptic and has 2 perfectly healthy boys. About the funding - this is why we went abroad for IVF and paid about 3.2K in Prague, including meds. It is possible even now, with covid, we were there in November.