Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Can you do NHS IVF after failed private IVF

Hi there,
I’be been looking everywhere but can’t find an answer to this! We have been TTC for a year now but we aren’t eligible for NHS IVF until we have been trying for 2 years. However I very much don’t want to wait another year given my age (I am 35).
What I can’t work out is whether you can do IVF on the NHS after having first tried privately? If it doesn’t work privately I would obviously want to try with the NHS, & don’t want that option taken away from me. If I am not allowed to use the NHS following an attempt privately, I will probably just wait for the NHS to preserve my savings 😕
Any advice welcome!
Thank you.

Replies

• Hi @jumbly, unfortunately I don’t know the answer to this.
    I have heard mixed responses so it may be worth asking your CCG directly. I was always informed by forums etc that it’s a no, you can’t go back to NHS after private, but then I didn’t actually investigate into it, I just went direct for private.

Sorry I can’t help.  
  • It depends on many factors. I recommend reading these posts:https://fertilityroad.com/ivf-nhs-funding-cost-guide/ and https://fertilityroad.com/ivf-costs-uk-revealed/ where they explained everything in detail. Hope this helps. Good luck

• If your looking privately,my single friend did ivf with abc Manchester fertility last year she gave birth to her beautiful daughter Avery in March. 

She looked around and abc fertility were the cheapest.
    She did everything to make it work her bmi was below 30,she was healthy she had been taken premum before conception and vitamin d everyday for 3 months and a well balanced healthy meals plenty of fruit and veg,diary,all meat.

She was 37 and it worked first time and she froze the remaining eggs incase she wants a sibling. 

Including her sperm donor,and freezing her eggs it was about 7 thousand obviously it could be cheaper as you have a partner.

Good luck with whatever you chose.