Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

what do i do?

hi ladies and gents (i know some of you lads are lurking here lol)

i hope you are all ok,
im abit unsure of what to do, ill explain our situation, basically DH has a low sperm count, we are currently waiting for icsi, the law states that the lady has to be 23 years or over before starting ivf (on the NHS) so the only options we have is to wait the 1 yr and 8 months till im 23 so we can legally go on the waiting list, then we have to wait on the list (here it is about 18months i think) or go private which will cost us about ??4000 but we can start straight away. DH is due to get sme inheritance as his dear nana died in march. before his nan died we chatted about it, we agreed to wait till i was 23, but now that he has some money coming we could afford it.

it tears me apart seeing thta month after month DH is really upset when i announce AF has arrived he is genuinly heart broken. he pretends that he is ok but i can see it.

so what do i do?
any advice appreciated

love Mrs E xx

Replies

• Hi hun, im not sure, if it was me i would probably wait but then again it depends on yoru own situation, its not easy to wait when you want it so badly. If i had the money i dont think i would go for it just yet though but then again you would have to go on the IVF waiting list on the NHS and it could be ages for that to come up too, mayeb you should go ahead, i would sit and have a long heart to heart with your oh and see what he says and decide together what your going to do but i just wanted to wish you well. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Hello,

In our PCT if you have previously paid for an IVF/ICSI cycle then you are not entitled to one on the NHS. So probably worth double checking with your PCT before you go ahead and pay for a cycle.

Good luck for the future whatever you may decide.

Lanni
  • Hi Mrs E
    Hope you dont mind me replying as im not in this forum but wanted to say id go for it now if i was you. If you and your OH are ready and you have the funds then its worth trying now. Time is precious.
    Good luck!
    Anna x
  • Same here, The NHS route is such a long process that time will pass under your nose!! so if you can afford it go for it! but also check that if you've gone private whether or not you will then be eligible for your NHS go.
    Good luck x
  • I think the same as the other girls, make sure that you dont forfit your NHS go and then if your sure go for it.

I personally wasnt ready at 23, but also hadnt met the right man ;\)

If there's nothing else you want to do first, travelling, careerwise then go for it, but 23 is still young too, i dont think those couple of years would effect your chances.

Good luck with your decsion, im sure if sucessful it will be the best ??4000 youve ever spent!

Gem x
  • thanks ladies, will go back to check on the consequences if we go private. think it may take a while to fully check lol but we have plenty of time

all of your advice is greatly appreciated xxx

Mrs E xx