Forum home› Getting pregnant› IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

IVF/ UNEXPLAINED INFERTILITY

Hi. This is my first ever posting and I'm just looking to share my journey so far but also get a bit of support from others who are going through similar situations. My scenario is a little different from the one's I have read. I have an under-active thyroid and my pituitary gland did not form as a baby. I therefore, do not experience natural menstrual cycles as I don't produce the hormones. After getting married in 08, we decided to start treatment as I have always know I woul need assisted conception in some way or another. I started with menopar injections in roughly Oct 08 but they couldn't get the does right. After much disappointment and abandoned cycles, they tried IUI. 2 failed attempts although I did respond well to the hormone stimulating drugs (too well on the last IUI so it was abandoned). I am now waiting for IVF, which we are paying for privately as thanks to the postcode lottery, we wouldn't be eligible until I was 30 yrs (I can't wait until Dec 10). I have written down lots of questions to ask on the 4th Feb but not sure it will reassure us. It's such an emotional roller coaster, which I am sure many of you will agree. We try to keep positive but at times, it's very hard particularly as there is no guarantee! I write a diary to get my thoughts out there so I don't drive me and my DH stir crazy! Hopefully this site will give me a chance to get support and support others.

Replies

• Hi Hope2009, I am very sorry to hear that you have had to go down the IVF route. The girls on here are fantastic, sometimes this board is a little quieter but Long Term TTC and Infertility is a lot busier.
    I too am starting IVF, and am starting on the 23rd January. We have to pay as well, as I am not 30 until 2011!
    That is fantastic that you are have writing down loads of questions to give you some peace of mind and that will help you feel more sorted.
    xx
  • Hi RachieS

Thanks for your posting and taking the time to read my 'sob story'. It's good to hear what experiences other people have so it would be nice to remain in touch through your journey, especially as we are not too different in the age range! I hope all goes well for you on the 23rd. Do you know what treatment you will be on yet? Keep us posted. Thanks for the tip to about this board to!

Best wishes xxx
  • Hi Hope2009 and welcome to the board.

Our stories sound very similar - we tried IUI with menopur in 2009, and it didn't work, so we are moving on to IVF. We are doing the long 21 day protocol, so I start down regging on 23 Jan (exactly the same as my cycle buddy Rachie!).

I'm very lucky to have two IVF cycles funded by the NHS, but that's because I'm an old bird - I turn 36 in a couple of months. On the plus side for you, the success rates for those under 30 are much higher!

Best of luck and I look forward to speaking to you over the coming weeks and months.
  • Hi Hope,
    It will be lovely to carry on chatting... I am on the long protocal. I start down reg on the 23rd Jan, and then will go for my scan to hopefully start stimms on the 12th Feb.
    I too have an underactive thyroid but was informed that didn't have any effect on my fertility now it is under control?! I am so sorry they have had no explanation for you problems, to hopefully give you some hope that I know someone from work who has unexplained fertility and she had IVF and it worked on the first attempt... anyway it seems that the IVF has just kick started her body and she has gone on had further children naturally. So hopefully your body just needs that kick start!
    It is fantastic you responded well to the menopur as that is a sign you will respond well during the IVF. I had OI (not IUI as I have a blocked tube so they don't give you it with a blocked tube) so they know how I have responded so it is not so much guess work on the correct drug level needed for IVF, I was on GOnal-F though and will be on this for ivf.
    xx
  • Hi Hope,
    It will be lovely to carry on chatting... I am on the long protocal. I start down reg on the 23rd Jan, and then will go for my scan to hopefully start stimms on the 12th Feb.
    I too have an underactive thyroid but was informed that didn't have any effect on my fertility now it is under control?! I am so sorry they have had no explanation for you problems, to hopefully give you some hope that I know someone from work who has unexplained fertility and she had IVF and it worked on the first attempt... anyway it seems that the IVF has just kick started her body and she has gone on had further children naturally. So hopefully your body just needs that kick start!
    It is fantastic you responded well to the menopur as that is a sign you will respond well during the IVF. I had OI (not IUI as I have a blocked tube so they don't give you it with a blocked tube) so they know how I have responded so it is not so much guess work on the correct drug level needed for IVF, I was on GOnal-F though and will be on this for ivf.
    xx
  • Hi Hope,

I too have been diagnosed with unexplained infertlity despite discovering an obstruction in 1 tube during HSG and lap and dye. We start the IVF journey in Feb and I hope we can continue chatting to support one another during this v difficult time.

Love Em J xxx
  • Good morning ladies.

Thankyou for your postings and the positive encouragement. It's nice chatting to people that have similar situations to you, and yes, it would be great if we could continue to support one another during this rocky road. You must bear with me though, as I do not come on here everyday...I became to obsessive last time researching, reading stories and I drove myself and my hubby bonkers! That doesn't mean I am uninterested, I just like to monitor my usage for my sanity!

Anyway, I wish you both the very best with your IVF...looks like Feb will be a very busy month for us all! Does anyone know roughly how long it takes to start IVF after consultation? I know it may vary between clinics but don't want to get my expectations up too high. As af don't ever visit, I don't see there being any reason why I wouldn't be able to start the treatment as soon as they can fit me in??

Best wishes to you, chat soon xxx