Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Had EC today

Well we got 5 eggs, and apparently hubby's sample was much better than it has been previously which is good. I was very disappointed though to be told that even though I'm 37 in a couple of weeks time they'll only put back 1. The lady admitted that it wouldn't matter if I was "37 already", I have to be "over 37" so clearly they mean 38 so why don't they just say that Huh? Plus she also said that we'll have to wait 6 months to try again (if it doesn't work this time) which is deeply upsetting as that could basically mean the end of the year. She admitted it was because the "NHS" side of things was running out of money and she was sorry about that. I didn't give them a hard time as its not the clinic's fault, not really.

I'm so angry about the age and 6 months thing, the bloody NHS keep changing the goalposts all the time, its so frustrating. When we were first seen by our consultant last year they seemed fine with my wish of having 2 back (I don't care if they want to keep multiple pregnancies down, surely that's my choice???), but to be told while I'm woozy and in pain that if it doesn't work we'll have to wait 6 months to get going again (by which time I'll be 37.5 years old), well that was enough to make me cry (though I guess the anaesthetic had its part to play there).

So anyway, I feel a bit crappy (although another lady there was having a worse time than me from what I could hear, in recovery) but I'm going to bed for a little sleep now. Pray we have good news tomorrow about fertilisation ... :\)

Replies

• Hi lougla,

I totally agree re the NHS the systems are absurd! I'm 33 so will have no chance of having 2 eggs put back, my clinic have told me anything under 35 is the benchmark.

Well done however on your ec, I'm on my 1st cycle and am keeping my fingers crossed that I'll have some eggs to retrieve. I'm not responding too well to the Menopur and have had my dosage increased today.

Have a good rest hun and keep me posted how your little embies get on over the next few days.

Love Em J xxxx
  • Hi
    Keeping my fingers crossed for you hopefully everything will be fine for you and you won't need to have another cycle of IVF. Not sure about them only putting one embryo back, I was 27 when I had my embryo transfer and they put 2 back, they told me if I was over 35 they would put 3 back?! Its probably down to where you live like most things with the NHS are these days.
    Good luck for the coming days I'm rooting for you xx
  • Hi Lougla
    I have absolutely everything crossed for you. I am pleased to hear that DH sperm sample was better, I hope you get some good news today on how many have been fertilised. Have everything crossed for you.
    I am so sorry about the added stress with the embryo debate, I am surprised they are putting only one back in for you as I thought it increased after 35, but I am keeping everything crossed that this 1 all be it for you.
    xxx
  • Hello ladies, well I'm back at work. EC and ET were fine, all went well. One was put back (they were adamant they wouldn't/couldn't change their position) and 3 are frozen so now its a "wait and see" ...

Hope you are all well.

lougla
  • Dear Lougla. Just to say you are in my prayers. I pray that all works out for you and that in 8 months and a few weeks time you are holding a perfectly healthy baby.

God bless/
  • Hi Lougla
    We haven't spoken before I don't think, but just to wish you all the best - do keep us posted.
    Also, can I ask, how long did you take off work after EC/ET? Any advice welcome, thanks! xx
  • Lougla,

Just wanted to say I'm praying every night for you and sending lots of positive energy, I'm a few days behind you, had e/c yesterday and just waiting for the dreaded phone call.

Big hugs xxxx
  • Hi Lougla,
    Hope all goes well for you, Keep us posted.
  • Hi ladies, thank you very much for your good wishes, the same to all of you.

Re time off, I had my EC on a Wednesday and didn't know if ET was going to be on Friday or go to blast so on Monday so I took Wednesday through to Monday off. In the end it happened on the Wednesday but I still took the time off and went back to work the following Tuesday. I felt absolutely fine (the ET was slightly painful mind), but luckily the weekend in between meant I only actually took 4 days off but had almost a week. Hope that helps.
  • thanks lougla, that's really helpful. I think I'll aim to take same time off , depending.
    Hope you're hanging in there, hugs! xx
  • Lougla I think you should be testing this week so just want to wish you all the best and I hope to be reading your BFP post soon! xx
  • Hi Lougla,

Hope everything is going OK and you get a positive result this week.

just wanted to say that i was abit 'miffed' by some of the posts re how many embyros you can have transferred.

i have had IVF 4 times and on every occassion, I've had 2 embryos transferred as that is the HFEA policy. I was 34 the first time I had it done and finished treatment at 36 so its not due to my age. You can have 3 put in when you are over 40 I believe.

For anyone reading this who is being told only 1, I'd seriously check this out and move clinics if they are saying 1 as its not the case.
  • Unfortunately the NHS guidelines changed quite recently re number of embryos being returned. It is now 1 unless you are 38 or over, plus they have extended the waiting period between "attempts" to 6 months instead of 3. We were told at our clinic it was because since they "relaxed the rules" last year re IVF they have been over-run with referrals from GPs and they realised they were going to run out of money. As our clinic said if we'd been private they'd have been more open to discussion but as we are NHS they had to stick to the guidelines.

To all wishing me well, thank you ladies. I'm due to test on Friday so I'm trying to avoid buying any tests until at least Thursday so I can't test early. For anyone else due to test soon, good luck.
  • Hi Lougla
    Just to say I am thinking of you and really hope and pray you get good news on Friday. How are you feeling? xx
  • Hi Lougla, understand now - you are doing it on the NHS so their guidelines must be different. i had to go private as the NHS wouldn't let us do it with them - another story!
  • My testing date is Friday, but I started bleeding today and it now appears to be a full period. I did a test anyway (First Response) and it came up with one very strong line, so a negative. Has anyone ever had their period start and still get a positive ?? Don't worry if not, its OK to tell me that.
  • Hey Lougla,

I am on day 13 following my ET. I am due to test tomorrow. Yesterday I started bleeding and thought it was over, but the bleeding has stopped and when I woke this morning I was just spotting.

I have called the clinic and they have told me to increase the suppostries from 1 a day to 2 whilst I was bleeding. They also assured me that this is very common and that woman do go on to have a BFP.

As soon as I started bleeding I did a HPT and it was negative, I did another one 1st thing this morning and there was a faint positive.

I will test tomorrow, but please stay strong, it is common for this to happen. So dont give up just yet.............I know exactly how you feel though hun x x x
  • Mrs Bee, thank you, that does reassure me a little (now I've calmed down - the poor woman who found me in the toilets at work today ....). I've just rung the emergency number my clinic gave me and spoken to the nurse. She said the same really, carry on with the cronine and test on Friday and that ladies who had a bleed had carried onto have a BHP. Good luck for your test tomorrow. x
  • No problem.

No amount of anyone telling you to calm down, try not to worry or everything is going to be ok just doesnt help.

I havent posted on here for ages, I just come in and read and take support and comfort. But I know how I felt yesterday and couldnt not just let you know that it is normal and I know exactly what you are going through.

Take care hun, I wish you all the very best.

Mrs Bee x x x
  • I have everything crossed for you both and I really hope the bleeding has stopped for both of you. xx