Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

complementary therapies - any advice?

We recently we told that the next step for us is IVF (probably ICSI) and out appt to start treatment is 26th May. I've been reading as much as my brain can absorb, particularly about how best to prepare for treatment and try and boost our chances of success. I've read good stuff about acupuncture and was wondering whether anyone else uses complementary therapies during their treatment and whether they would recommend it? also when is the best time to begin it, as soon as possible or nearer to treatment? thanks xx

Replies

• blooming heck - that was a quick response, thanks Mrs Amanda! do you think it helped relax your through the whole process?
  • Hiya, sorry to g/c - I'm starting 2nd round of ICSI in a couple of weeks (eek!) this time on a short protocol. I've had three sessions of acupuncture so far and will be having it throughout the process. My lady is on the Zita West network and she was telling me yesterday that having acupuncture immediately before and immediately after embryo transfer can improve chances of a BFP by 40%. I'm finding that the weekly sessions are relaxing me and I'd really recommend it for that alone. I'm sleeping much better too. I'd say go for it. It's not cheap, but if it helps achieve a baby, then it's money well spent. Good luck xx
  • HIya
    I have been having regular sessions of accupuncture since the start of this year as we thought our icsi would be sooner (been knocked back two month due to clinic being fully booked) I do think that it has improved my cycle already, i have been very irrigular since coming off the pill over two years ago, but my cycle now seems to have settled down to 40 days. Not perfect but much better than the 60-70 day ones i've had in the past. I will be having it throughout my treatment. I too have read lots of good things and can't see that it would do any harm, so I am willing to try anything that might help!
    xx
  • right thats it decision made! I'm going to book myself in for a consultation asap. thanks for the advice -when it comes down to it, if there's a chance it might help, in whatever way, I don't want to pass it by. plus an hour of so of time just for myself each week or so can only be a good thing!
  • Hi G/C from due in may, I kept having miscarriages (3 in one year!) and turned to acupuncture as a last result, i had it every week and also took chinese herbs (they were horrifically disgusting) i got pregnant straight away and stayed pregnant! i'm now 5 weeks off my due date.

I hope it works as well for you xxx
  • I had acupuncture before and throughout my first IVF cycle. I had 2 embryos put back in just over a year ago and have 20 week old twins. I am sure that the acupuncture helped.
  • ooh I do love to hear about the success stories - thanks ladies and congrats! x
  • Hi

Sounds like you have already made up your mind but just to add my story about acupuncture.

I started seeing an acupunturist for a possible blocked tube showing on an hsg test (which after a lap and dye was confirmed not blocked). Wondered if the acupuncture could've helped with this at the time?

Have just had our first ICSI cycle and had acupuncture leading up to treatment, before transfer and after transfer and now 6 weeks pregnant!

I would definitely recommend it - even for the value that it can put you in a good frame of mind and maybe relax you through what is already a difficult time.

Best of luck with everything! xx
  • thanks clare-ski and smiles - huge congratulations on your BFPs.

I have started having acupuncture session- in fact had my second this afternoon! I'm currently in what might be my last 2ww before IVF so I'm hoping it might have done something to increase the chances of a sticky bean.

I've felt shattered after both sessions - in a good way though. I definitely feel relaxed when I'm there so that can only be a good thing.

• Hi, I am due to start ICSI too - around 20th June. I have bought extra vitamins, relaxation CD's (about to bid on Zita West ones too), crystals and aromatherapy oils - basically throwing everything at it lol. I too am thinking about acupuncture, a Dr where I work (I work in a GP surgery) does it and I am going to ask my own surgery if they do it. I had thought either that or reflexology, as that REALLY relaxes me and I would enjoy it more. But confused as to which to choose! Its great to hear so many women having success stories, lets just hope we join that club x
  • Hello littleb

I feel compelled to reply to this message!

My husband and i had countelss fertility treatments for 8 years until we tried accupuncture....it worked within 2 months for us but i truly feel to get the best chance you both have to have it, my hubby was terribly sceptical at first but swallowed his pride, we have a 20 moth old daughter Matilda May and i am now 13 weeks pregnant agin so it does work .

Not only does it get your body in sync but mentally after the stress of fertility it assists you to relax.....the big R that just is not possible when TTC !

Good luck on your journey and never say never!

we had just started adpoption proceedures when we caught the first time so just remember the power of your body!

keep us posted on your visits its facinating stuff, i had treatment every two wks TTC and throughout as it helps nourish the fetus with blood supply.....no I'm not nuts honest!!!

love Moo xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx