Forum home› Getting pregnant› IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Devastated

Hope you don't mind, feeling really down today so I just wanted somewhere to vent really.

Some of you may remember I've had 1 failed IVF cycle and have 5 frosties. My husband and I have been labelled with unexplained infertility and were told we were entitled to 3 cycles of IVF on the NHS.

I've just found out that this was a mistake and we actually only get 1 funded cycle!

I'm absolutely devasted because I feel like this is it over now. I know I've got 5 frosties left but I also know that only 70% of them are likely to survive the thawing process and also that the changes of FET working are a lot lower than a fresh cycle.

I just don't know what to do. I can't accept that that's it but I'm not sure we could afford to pay for any more cycles ourselves.

Replies

• Options
    That's shocking that they told you the wrong information like that. The egg sharing sounds like a good way to get costs down - also the possibility of going abroad though I don't know if there's a way of getting your embryos out to another country.....? It is meant to be a lot cheaper though with frozen embryos... I hope you find a way that suits you and works for you xxx
  • Options
    Thanks for all your kind words.

I'm definitely going to write to our local trust although I can't imagine that they'll change their minds.

If that fails then I guess I have to find out exactly what sort of cost we're talking about privately and decide if it's something we can save up for.
  • Options
    Hi Donna,

I'm sorry to hear of your news - to be given good news and then have it taken away from you is always the worse. 'Luckily' I knew from day one that we'd have to pay as my husband has children from a previous marriage. I don't think its fair and don't see why the woman should be 'penalised', but thats the way the NHS work. I did egg share the first time so only had to pay for drugs, however, because i only got 5 eggs, i wasn't allowed to do it again. apparantly, the majority of clinics will only let you do it if you got more than 8 the time before.

re the financial side of it, it is financially crippling. we have spent over ??25,000 over the last 2 years, however, if something is so desperately wanted, i belive you will pay anything. On my 4th attempt, i conceived twins and am now 29 weeks gone. we'll probably be paying the ??25k off for the rest of our lives but it really fails into comparison when you feel your babies moving and kicking inside you and to be honest, i don't even think about the money anymore.

i appreciate that everyone's financial situations are different but if there is anyway you can finance it, whether that be credit card, re-mortgage, loan or borrowing from family, i'd do it!

nx
  • Options
    Hi Donna,
    I'm sorry you've had this bad news! LIke some of the other ladies have said there may be reduced cost IFV for egg sharing in your area?
    Hang in there x
  • Options
    Hi Donna,

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. Are you entitled to any other treatment, such as IUI. I know our clinic has offered us both and we have a choice of which order to do them in. We are also only entilted to 1 round of IVF.