Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions

Scared about the future

Dear All,

I will keep this as brief as I can. Back in Oct 2008 we had our first IVF consultation. From there we had our IVF session with the ET on 2nd Jan 2009. 12th Jan confirmed pregnancy, and then 3 weeks later, the BHCG levels were not doubling every 2 days and diagnosis was "blighted ovum". A few weeks later a final confirmation that there was no foetal pole or heartbeat, and then an assisted Miscarriage.

June 2009, we had 4 frozen blastocysts and they thawed three of these and we had 2 that survived the thawing process. These were transferred on 14 Jun, 10 days later, positive pregnancy test. And BHCG level doubling very well and more than doubling in the initial stages. week 6 and a scan revealed twin pregnancy. Week 10 a bleed, but that was okay in the end and after some resting all was well and the scan revealed both embryos were doing fine. Got past the first trimester but did not allow ourselves feel to excited. Got to week 17, then 18 and started feeling excited. We announced our good news. Week 22 and 3 days, my wife had some discharge. Not fresh blood and discharge only on wiping. We went straight to the hospital. They did a few tests and put her on antibiotics straight away. They suspected an infection, that was Wednesday. Friday the results were back and they said "no infection" just stop the antibiotic medications. Then following Monday, week 23 + 1day, first thing in the morning my wife had fresh blood. We rushed straight to the hospital and they kept her in for 48 hours. The bleeding had stopped but they said sometimes a small bleed is a sign of a bigger bleed to come. 48 hours later they discharged her. Wedenesday morning (Mid Nov 09) that night she had a uncontrollable major bleed. Admitted to hospital, and after 40 long hours of turmoil in the hospital she delivered to babies, the first was still born and the second died two hours after birth. This was at 24 weeks. We are both really upset.

Jan 2010 we went to the hospital to get results of what happened and they explained it was placental abruption. If you have this once, there is a 10% chance it will happen again.

We both are really scared of it happening again. It's so hard to make a decision about what to do. One of the causes for abruption is "multiple pregnancy" and while both the hospital and our IVF clinic both say this is not a cause for abruption, almost every website I have visited has suggested that this can be a cause for abruption.

We can opt for just one embryo but then those of you who have been through IVF will know that you want to maximise your chances as it is an expensive and very emotionally taxing experience. At the same time I am not sure if either one of us would cope if the abruption happened again and we lost the babies. Just so confused as to what to do .....

Obviously we are also very overwhlemed with the boys we lost in November 2009 and not sure if we can make any rational decision about this but with age becoming an issue we have decided to start our next IVF cycle in April this year.

If you have any tips them please share them.

Replies

• KS9 I am so sorry I can't offer any real advice but I want to just give you my heart felt sympathy to you and your wife to everything you have gone through.
    The question of 1 or 2 embryos is so tricky under normal situation but in yours it just makes it even harder. Could you have another discussion with your consultant so you can give him further questions esp on the information you have discovered?!
  • I am so sorry to read your post and that i I cant offer any advice. I am just about to begin the ivf route and the emotions that go with it, I cant begin to imagine what you and your family have gone through.

I wish you all the very best x
  • Hi KS9,

It's impossible to suggest what's best for you and you wife but thought maybe if you posted this on the following forum (probably under general not mens) you might find other couples that have been through similar situations. I've learnt so much from the girls on there.

http://www.carefertility.com/ivf/

xxxx
  • Thanks for the messages. I will check the othe site you mentioned.
  • Thanks for the messages. I will check the othe site you mentioned.