Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Abandoned ICSI cycle- gutted :-<

Hi all

Just getting my head around having nearly completed the drugs part of the ICSI cycle, to be told that I am over-responding and therefore, the cycle has had to be abandoned until about July.

The frustration is unbearable at times- it's hard enough having to do it this way in the first place, without the rug been pulled from under us- YET AGAIN :roll:

Anyway- that's my moan over for a bit and I am sure I will feel better in a bit.....hopefully!

Hope everyone's alright out there :\)

Emma xx

Replies

• Awwww Emma I really understand I ended up with hyperstimulation syndrome which is really horrid. But they pushed up through the procedure.

You must be so gutted - did you manage to get to egg collection?

The positive thing at the moment is that you over respond which is soooo much better than under responding. You will have loads of eggs which massively increases your chance of a BFP. We had 30 eggs collected which allowed us to go for blastocyst transfer at day 6 which is ideal.

When they start you again you will have a more tailored dose of the FSH stimultion drugs to stop it occuring again

You must be very angry frustrated and sad but in the long term you have a great chance which is cold comfort now.

Take care
    PS did you sky dive?
  • Thanks very much- I understand it is a better situation that to be under-stimulated, I just wonder if they might give me too little next time and then I'll have to abandon again?!?!? Hope not anyway- I am normally really positive, but I didn't expect them to scrap it- i just thought they would lower the dose.

No I didn't get to ec stage- that was due to be next week.

It's tricky when people ask about it and I tell them and they seem to want to blame the hosp and that's the last feeling I have- I just feel totally grateful to have this free opportunity and think the staff are wonderful. They were clear from the start that there wasn't an exact science and this was a risk we had to take!

My firend also had hyperstimulation and ended up in hospital- I hope you weren't affected that badly?

Yes I did the sky dive. apparantly that wasn't a factor in the IVF debarcle ;-> It was fantastic and I'm really glad I did it, but wouldn't bust a gut to do it again- the free fall was awful!!!!!

What stage are you at now with yours?

• Hi Emma,

So sorry that your treatment hasnt gone to plan, i can only imagaine how frustrating and upseting that must be.

I am already fed up with friends and family saying to me " well you can do ivf" like its an absolute, never mind the cost and grief it brings. I have done enough research and reading to know getting on this path is just the start!

I really hope that you start to feel a bit better soon and than July comes quickly for you.

Well done for the sky dive, i did one a few years ago, and like you havent exactly been rushing to do it again!

Take care hon

Gem x
  • Cheers Gem- already i feel a bit better, it was just the initial dissapointment that was so unexpected I think image It's good you have looked into the pro's and cons of IVF- I didn't really and I think that's why this was such a shock.

Yes, everyone has an opinion on your 'predicament' and although you don't neccessarily want all your friends and family to know about your plight, it inevitably reveals itself when folk ask direct questions!

My mum is convinced we should have gone straight for adoption - it's as if she see's IVF as an indulgence (she is Catholic and I think this affects her judgement!).

Anyway onwards and upwards- we all have good and bad days I suppose. I think the sky-dive was a release of alsorts of emotions for me Gem. Might think of something more earthly-bound next time though ;\)

Have a good remainder-of-weekend image
  • Hi Em just wanted to post to say really sorry your treatment couldn't go ahead totally understandable that you would be gutted as I know if itwas me I'd be too - hopefully july is the time for you xxx

BTW well done on the sky dive LOL I wont even fly never mind jump out of a plane you are a crazy ladeee!!! (you too Gem LOL xx)
  • Hey Emma

They way I understand it is that if your initial dose is too high (for you) and lots of follicles develop intially
    All these follicles produce huge amounts of oestrogen this is what they would be measuring in your blood tests amongst other things.
    To allow the eggs in these follicles to develop you have to continue to stimulate the follicles with the FSH drugs.
    TMI alert I never really had it that much before but I was EWCM central with 100 follicles !!!!
    Drop the dose of the injections and there isnt enough to 'share between' all the follicles. Oestrogen plummets.
    Dont think I have explained this very well is called 'a narrow therapeutic range' too little and the large number of follicles dont develop
    Raise it a little and they all go orbital
    My hormone chart when up and down in a massive zig zag

However they learn so much about your case that they can change the intial dose to make the number of follicles recruited smaller and the system is then a lot more stable

I wasnt too bad as there wasnt fluid around my lungs and my kidneys/liver were stable so I had bed rest and not hospital
    Had to drink MASSES of water I felt like a reservoir

PS do you have PCOS???

Take Care
    XX
  • Just spotted your post now and glad you're feeling a bit better now. I'm so sorry you have had to go through this-I can only imagine how you are feeling.
    We are starting IVF in May and I'm really scared. As you say, it's just not fair we're having to go through this in the first place, without being given all these extra obstacles in the way.
    Not sure how old you are, but they do say the risk of over stimulation is higher if you are younger. I'm sure they will tailor the drugs next time and get it spot on.

Look after yourself and OH.

• Thanks Claire- I think it's easier to vent on here, as I don't really want to burden DH with something I know he is already finding difficult.

Ski-Dive was a bit mental looking back on it and as DH said "you're only doing this cos you're smacked of your t*ts!" Oh how I laughed- I am sure it was the drugs though!!!!

Moonbeam, yes it was really frustrating, but I have developed a kind of acceptance now- I am just greateful to not have the long waiting lists etc that other people have endure. I have nothing but praise for the docs/nurses- they have been fab.

J-Jenko- thanks for the explanation- that makes far more sense. I think when they were explaining it all to me, I had tuned out after "it's not good news I'm afraid....."!!! yes, I have border-line PCOS, which is why, I think, they gave me a little bit too much Puregon. I think they thought I was less PCOS than I actually am. It's good to know they will have built up a better knowledge for next time though- that wasn't very clear.

Sounds like you managed the Hyperstimulation well- even though you had to drown in water to get through it!

Thanks JCB- I hope you're looking forward to starting your treatment- I found it a really exciting time even with the injections. May is only round the corner and you will be at the other side very soon- fingers crossed for a BFP! Is it your first attempt?

I am 27, so not sure if that is classed as young or not!!!!!

Lots of love & (virtual) support everyone xx
  • Hi Emma
    Thanks for your good wishes. You seem to be coping well-I really admire your attitude.
    This is our first go at IVF and although I'm really glad the time has come to start, I'm really scared.
    27 is young-and is definitely young in the eyes of IVF clinicians!

Keep up the PMA
    x
  • What your husband said has really made me giggle too!! You can't do all this without a sense of humour can you?!

I totally understand your frustration at having to wait, yet again. I was only saying to my hb yesterday that I was finding this bit harder now we'd got to treatment, because it's a bit like a kid at Christmas - the months and months leading up to it you just get on with it, but in the few weeks before the wait is unbearable and this is a bit like someone coming along on 23rd Dec and saying, nope you've got to wait for Christmas now until March!! You sound as if you're dealing with it really well and positively though, which is great and as JJ says they will have learnt so much through this cycle that the next one is almost bound to work out.

Lots and lots of luck for the next one when it comes around and in the meantime lots of wine, chocolates and holidays me thinks!

xxx
  • Glad that amused you- it made me titter in my car on my way to work this morning too :lol:

Yes PMA is my only saving grace right now- it's up and down, but generally up ;\)

Daisy, the Christmas analagy is spot on!!! It's like the goal posts are constantly on the move!!!

Good luck on your first and hopefully last go JCB- fingers crossed image

Take care girls xxx
  • HI Emma
    I was so sorry to read your post and can only imagine how that must feel.

I just wanted to echo what so mnay of the other lovely ladies have said and wish you all the best for the next few months. It sounds like you have such a good attitude and a good strength in your relationship and I honestly think in this nightmare business of LTTTC that is MORE than half the battle! Hugs, xx
  • Thanks Mrs B- I really really hope we are all sorted out soon. We have been on these pages far to long already!!!

I'll have (another) word with Him upstairs and see if he can't push some buttons for us all ;->

Hugs right backatcha xx
  • Absolutely EmmaW! I keep joking to DH that we better get gorgeous, talented, witty, successful twin girls after all this hardship!!! LOL, only joking, of course we will be DELIGHTED with whoever we are blessed with, lol! xx