Forum home› Getting pregnant› IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

hoping you may be able to help

hey all, i am so sorry to bother you, i have just come over from ttc after mc. basically my af is due i 2 weeks time and it will be my first real af after my mc. now i have mc'd 3 times the doctor is going to begin testing me to find out if anything is wrong. i hope you dont mind but i have a couple of questions i was hoping you may be able to hlp me with.
i have been told that tests cannot begin until i have my next af, what kind of test can i expect to have?
also i have been told not to ttc this month as if i get pregnant then obviusly the tests cannot go ahead and i dont want to risk a mc again before i know if it can be prevented. so once the tests have began are you still not suppose to ttc or do they do them all within the first half of your cycle?
im sorry i know they may seem like silly questions but im not sure who to ask!
hope you are all well xxxx

Replies

• Depending on the doctor and clinic.

Things they could be testing for are "weak cervic" where if you are having trouble carrying and your cervic opens up early, in a following pregnancy they can put a stich on it to give you support to maintain the pregnancy.

secondly if you are going to an ivf clinic they might do the natural killer cells test. Where they test for immunes and whether you have a higher than normal level of natural killer cells in your body. If this is the case they could do IVIG which is expensive and is a way of reducing the killer cells in your body.

Thirdly I have ready that women who miscarry often could be supported by one or both things below (regardless of IVF or not)

1) Your body could be weak in producing progesterone which is necessary in maintaing a pregnancy, there are injections (gestone) or suppositaries (cyclogest) which can be prescribed and administered to help maintain the level of progesterone in the first trimester. After the 12 weeks the placenta should take over and produce all the progesterone needed.

2) Steriods. I read in articles that often women who miscarry early on can be assisted by giving them small doses of steriods which will strengthen their immunes.

Additionally they may ask you to take some anti clotting medication, things like small doses of asprin or injections like clexane.

Also just to mention that diet is important in pregnancy. Steer as clear as you can from things like Papaya.