Forum home› Getting pregnant› IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Can anyone give me a little help?

Hi,

I am new to this forum after being in ttc and ltttc for 2 years, but after seeing the consultant on Wed it appears IVF is the next step for us,so this is more home for me.

The doc has diagnosed us with unexplained infertility despite the hycosy and lap and dye I had this year showing I have an slight blockage in my right tube. Tests have shown I'm o/v and hubby's sperm all normal and I have a regular 28 day cycle. Although I imagined IVF would be the next option I'm finding it really difficult to cope and have spent most of today crying and feeling angry and bitter. I'm pushing my hubby away and also my family as I feel so bad. I know this is not the best way forward but I just can't seem to help it.

The other thing during the consulatation which alarmed me was that the doc said my day 3 bloods showed a fsh of 6.6 and a lh of 8.8 which he said these numbers should be the other way around. He didn't seem too concerned just said this will affect the type of drugs given to me during treatment to stimulate my ovaries. I have looked on the net and this is a common sign of pcos which after 3 ovary scans hasn't shown and I have no other symptoms. Does anyone know much about this?

Sorry for such a negative post but I'm really struggling at the mo.

Good luck to all of you lovely ladies

Love Em J xxxx

Replies

• Options
    So sorry for you but try to think of this as good news. At least you can finally start getting treatment and you're a step closer.

I know exactly how you feel because I felt exactly the same a year ago. Although I've just had a failed first try I'm still a lot more positive than I was a year ago. I found that I responded really well to the treatment so there doesn't seem to be any reason why this can't work eventually.

It's always the not knowing that's hardest to cope with so I'm sure you'll feel a lot better once everything gets started and you see that you're making positive steps.

Try not to worry about it. I know it's really hard not to spend all your time looking everything up on the internet but I think you've just got to trust the doctors to do their job. There are too many scare stories and exaggerated claims on the internet. If you've got any concerns ask your clinic throughout the process.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you get on.

D x
  • Options
    Hey EMJ, sorry to see you over here sweetie....not where any of us ever dreamed we end up....BUT if you can try to look on the positive side. I know we all respond differently to these things, but for me, once the iniitial (huge) shock (and lots of crying) I actually felt much more positive that IVF may be our road to achieving our dream of having a baby. IVF is not nice, and a big strain on your body, physically, emotionally, mentally etc, BUT I didn't find it as awful as I'd built it up to be in my head. And it was SOOOOOOOOOOOOO worth it just to see that BFP!

Sorry I cannot help too much with your questions about FSH, although mine was around the same and that is a completely normal number. Cannot remember my LH levels thogh, but I thought they were just supposed to be around the same figure. I found this guidance quite helpful:
    http://guidance.nice.org.uk/CG11/Guidance/pdf/English
    Basically, your FSH level means you should respond well to IVF drugs, although they may want to take an AMH reading as well.

Try not to worry hon (easier said than done I know), IVF can overcome most issues.....it may just take some time.

Also just to say if you haven't already seen it, the HFEA website is great for looking up clinics and success rates.

Loads of luck and PMA coming your way xxx
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies ladies, I didn't feel as bad as this when I left the clinic but its all just overwhelmed me and as af coming to an end I think I'm just feeling very emotional. I'm also trying to cling on a bit to the hope that the docs have said I can still conceive naturally, so you never know....

Tiny, how far are you hun? Do you mind me asking why you had the IVF? Was it your first attempt?

Donna, so sorry to hear the 1st attempt failed but as you say so good that you had a good response to the drugs, when do you start your next cycle?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply and keep in touch xxx
  • Options
    Hey Em, I can totally understand how you feel....I think it's completely natural to have a whole load of different (overwhelming!) emoti9ons right now. And also that hope that it may still happen naturally....there's no harm in that, especially with it being 'unexplained' for you. And, who knows, maybe it will happen!!
    I don't mind you asking questions at all hon. I'm 6 weeks and 2 days today and feeling very nervous about it still. We had IVF because of my husband's poor sperm features (low in all areas) so we had ICSI as well where the sperm is injected into the egg. It was our first attempt yes, so we were extremely lucky for it to work first time.
    Ask away if any more ?'s. xx
  • Options
    Hope you're feeling a bit better by now.

Although my first try failed, I was lucky enough that I responded so well to the drugs that I've got 6 frozen embies to try. Something I didn't realise when I started this is that 1 cycle (in terms of funding) isn't complete until you've used up all of your embryos.

Think I've got to have 2 months off before they'll put one of those back in which is going to be an awful wait but trying to just get on with it and enjoy Christmas.
  • Options
    I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you and wishing you a lovely Xmas, it's a funny time to be happy and positive when you don't always feel like rejoicing!

I'm a bit better today thanks, I'm always better when at work as so bloody busy, so I suppose my mindis pre occupied.

Do you know whether that is the case in all local health authorities? I think my con said a frozen embryo is classed as a new cycle and therefore another cost
    xxx
  • Options
    We had our first course of fertlity treatment (ICSI)privately because our PCT doesn't include the clinic of ourchoice. We did start to go down the NHS route and I spoke to our local hospitals Obs and Gynae consultant's secretary. She was brilliant and read out the restrictions and reassured us even if we had private fertility treatment we would still be entitled to NHS treatment if unsuccessful (up to 3 fresh cycles). Also under the NHS Beds PCT allows 3 fresh cycles so frozen embryo transfers are bonus attempts!!!

Good luck EmJ and Donna good luck for your FET 6 frosties is fantastic!

xxxx
  • Options
    Sorry, I don't know if it's the same for all health authorities. I think how it work is that they all get funding but them it's up to the individual authorities to decide how to spend that. Government guidelines are that they should offer 3 full cycles including frozen but I know that not everywhere does that.

Definitely worth challenging your consultant though. Could it be an option to have the IVF on the NHS but pay for the freezing privately if necessary? I don't know the cost but it could be worth it if you respond well.

Good luck x

[Modified by: donna1981 on December 15, 2009 08:49 AM]