Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Anyone been to Asda for IVF drugs? Is it really cheaper?

hi
Last month there was a lot of news about Asda selliing IVF drugs cheaper than high street chemists and private clinics. Has anyone actually bought some? Were they really cheaper than other places? Is it at all branches of Asda or just some special stores?

I'm thinking of getting IVF treatment if I don't get a BFP next month and obviously I want to keep costs down as much as poss.

Gina
xx

Replies

• Hi Gina

I'm on my third IVF cycle and I had a real rant about this when I was buying my drugs. There was so much publicity around the cheap Asda drugs thing, but when I got a quote from them they were definitely not selling at cost. Well worth getting a quote from them, because they will almost certainly be a bit less than getting your drugs through your clinic, but there are much better places. I get my drugs from Central Homecare and in this cycle alone it saved me about ??400. Healthcare at Home are also great, so worth getting quotes from both (depending on which clinc your prescription is through they will have different deals). Central Homecare have been wonderful - they deliver next day, free delivery and sharps, etc included. They have always given us a great service and are really reliable.

Hope that helps a bit. Just shout if you have any other questions, drug related or not and I'd be happy to help. Lots and lots of luck to you if you do go ahead with IVF. I think it's wonderful - we got a BFP on our second cycle but sadly I mc at 10 weeks. So hoping we have a happy outcome this time.

xxx
  • hi Daisy Girl
    Thanks for that information. I'll Google Central Homecare and the other one as well. I've made an appointment to see the private clinic but it'll be almost a month away. I'm secretly hoping we can get our BFP naturally before then. I don't really fancy having injections at all.

Gina
    xx
  • I checked with Central Homecare and found that our clinic and also local pharmacy was cheaper. Have not tried Asda but if Central Homecare is cheaper than Asda then they most certainly can not be selling at cost.

Just a general guide that if you are paying much more than ??28 for either Merional or Fostimon (both 75units) then you should be able to shop around and get them for around ??28.

Only thing is if you are asking your local pharmacy to order them for you, a lot of them don't keep these in stock as they are expensive and don't have the longest of shelf lives. Pharmacies normally order to match demand. Try and get your pharmacy to order a couple of days in advance of you needing them.