Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Taking the pill the month before IVF

Morning ladies

We are just about to start on our first cycle of IVF and the nurse has told me that I will be taking the contraceptive pill for a month before we start. Does anyone know why this might be? My AF is pretty regular anyway.

Thanks
Debbie

Replies

• Hi Debbie,

Didn't want to read and run but have no idea why this could be - not heard of it before. they told us not to have unprotected sex during IVF, just incase (would have been a miracle if i had fallen pregnant) but i'm surprised they say to go on the pill. think you'll have to ask. sorry i can't help
  • Hi Debbie,
    I don't know the answer but could it be so they can completely control your cycle?I have to take tablets from day 20 next week for 7 days so they can control when my AF arrives ready to start injections on cycle day 3/4 so maybe it's similar? You should definitely ask your Consultant/nurse, I have asked about a billion questions so far! Good luck! xx
  • Yes Sushine you are spot on - it is part of the down regging process to cut down the number of jabs and regularise everything! Anything to cut jabs down is fine with me image