Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions

app friday

Hi ladies

i have booked my appointment for friday!! can anyone tell me what the first stage is?? i will have a period in a couple days hopefully so will i have to wait to start treatment? ie next cycle?

thanks xxx

Replies

• dont worry il go back to ttc after mc byeeee!!!
  • Hi Gem,

I'm sorry no one responded to your post, sometimes this board is really busy and you get lots of responses, sometimes it's quiet though, but please don't let that put you off from posting - we're all here for support.

Very exciting that you have your first appointment. Have you already been told that you are having IVF?

If you have and want to get started straight away what they normally seem to do is get all of your blood tests and consent forms (and the payment of course!) processed in the month before your treatment starts. Then it depends on whether you are put on the long protocol (a period of down regulation before you start stimulating your ovaries) or short protocol (starting on first day of your next cycle and missing out on the down regulation phase.)

Most ladies tend to be on the long protocol (although I am a short protocol lady - starting my stimms in a week and a half!). According to the instructions that I have been given by my clinic, if you are on the long protocol you ring on the first day of your period (after consent forms etc), for an appointment for day 21 of your cycle. You have a scan on that day and start your injections. Down reg happens for roughly 2 weeks depending on how you respond to the drugs (you will get a scan to check), then you start your stim drugs for roughly another two weeks with scans to check the size and number of the follicles you are producing. When you have enough follicles of a mature size you take a last injection (a trigger shot) to prepare your follicles for collection the following day.

You will probably have your embryos fertilised and tranferred back either 3 or 5 days days after collection depending on how many you have and how they do in the lab.

Hope this makes sense. I'm only just starting our myself so not been through much of this yet apart from the consent forms bit. But feel free to ask any questions you have and I or one of the other ladies will hopefully be able to help.

Take care,

Sarah xx

• Hi sarah thank you so much! i keep looking on the internet for the process of ivf and keep getting confused, your answer is exactly what i wanted to know! thanks again!
    I have the app on fri to discuss going forward with ivf, my gyne told me last time that it would be the best option! i dont respond to clomid although it worked once,
    im on cd 2 today do you think that they may start on cd21??
    good luck with your ivf xxx
  • HI gemlou
    hope the appointment goes week friday. It's a bit difficult to tell you wjhat to expect as we are all on different treatments and each icu seems to do things differently.

Let us know how you get on and what treatment your starting.
  • Hi Gem,

No problems - glad to be of some use!

As Justttc says, clinics follow their own way of doing things which usually means that even if ladies are on the same protocol they might be doing things on different days or on different types or volumes of drugs. The long protocol I mentioned was just how my clinic do it, and even then only an example. Hopefully you will get all you questions answered at your appointment.

Are you NHS or self funding? I am self funding (13 month wait on NHS was too long to bear), although we are on the waiting list as well so we have one 'back up' cycle. When I had my meeting my consultant asked me when I wanted to start - I said 'next month?' He seemed fine with that.

Hopefully as you have only just started your cycle you may have time to do all your consents, blood screening and have your injection teaching session before you would need to have your first scan around day 21 (again, only if you were on the long protocol). Either way you will hopefully be starting this month or next. Very exciting stuff!

Keep us posted!

Sarah x
  • wow sarah that would be great for day 21!! really excited!!!
    im self funding, my gyne said i dont qualify for ivf on nhs i think he said it was my age? im 29!!???
    anyway i wouldnt want to wait two years iv been trying for 2 already! had an awful thought today " if it doesnt work wheres the next three grand coming from!!" didnt think of that!!! better just hope and pray it works!!
    thanks for your help and time replying to me much
    appreciated! xx
  • Hi Gemlou, hope all goes well tomorrow. x
  • hi mandyevs

thank you!! im so excited! just nervous in case he says no to ivf! and says lets try different things!
    xx
  • Hi Gemlou, how was ur appt today? hope all went well. x
  • hi mandyevs!

went well thank you, i have to have blood test tues for hiv and hepititus b and c, marc has too aswell! he is then going to email me and send a letter to my doctors cant remember why? i will then go on the pill for a month to regulate hormones and the down regualtion. I am soooo excited!!!!
    i was so embarased at my dh. he kept swearing (he doesnt normally!) but everytime the consultant said about sperm analysis he swore, had to tell him off for swearing!!! funny!!!

how are you getting on mandy?? are you on any treatment at the moment??xx
  • Hi gemlou, Was for a long while but luckily enough I now have an 8 month old son after my last Ivf attempt, I pop in and out of this forum to try to help if I can going on my own experiences. It's such a rollercoaster going through ivf and sometimes it's hard for people who haven't been through it to understand what you're going through. Glad all went well on friday, stay positive. x