Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

FAO RachieS

Well, cd21 is finally here, and we're off!!

The buserelin injection this morning was ok, although the needles are a bit bigger than the ones I used for IUI. Have a feeling my stomach will look and feel like a mottled pin cushion in a month's time....

Hope the sniffing is ok.

xx

Replies

• Oooh I have never had an FAO before imageimage Thank you!

I can't believe today is the day!!!!!!!! I found out that during injections for OI I started to get lots of bruising etc from them... so I was told to get an ice cube to numb the area beforehand... it worked no end... that may help?!

I have started the sniffing... I have got an alarm set for every 4 hours just in case I forget... which I can't see happening but thought better do it just in case! I have been paranoid this morning that I was not doing it right... but I think I was being completely OTT!!!!!

How many times do you inject? Once a day??

xxx
  • I have to inject once a day, every morning. Ever so slightly paranoid I am going to forget one day.... I'll be cheerfully on my way to work then think "Oh, sh*t......"

Thanks for the tip about the icecube - putting on after the jab also feels good, and so far I have escaped bruising, so fingers crossed I may escape this stage unscathed.

Slight cramping twinges around my ovaries yesterday and last night... but pretty sure it's just my mind playing tricks rather than the onset of any side effects. Hope your sniffing is all going to plan and there are no nasty side effects at all!

Love
    MrsD
  • Hey ladies, sorry to g/c but just wanted to send you both lots of luck.....am rooting for you both and looking forward to hearing all your updates.
    MrsD, you're probably doing this anyway, but I was told to pinch and squeeze a bit of fat in stomach and inject into that which did make it easier.
    Rachie, I always worried I wasn't sniffing properly too! I'm sure you are though. The first scan will reassure you I expect.
    So when do you both have scans then? xx
  • Are you injecting in the morning?! It would be so easy to forget... when packing my bag for work this morning it felt weird having to pack the nasal spray!!!
    I am suffering from real bad period pain today, so least AF is on its way. They put me on noresitene so I knew AF would arrive this week! Hopefully this will the last one for the next 9 months!!!!
    No side effects yet!So hopefully it will stay that way! Have you told anyone at your work or anything?
    My scan is on the 12th Feb!
    xxx
  • Hi! Not sure if it down to the Buserilin, but I have been a complete mentalist today - just ratty as hell. I have managed to bite my tongue so far, but just as a precaution, I have arranged to work from home tomorrow to minimise the amount of human contact. There's no rhyme or reason to it... and I know I'm not being rational or sensible, but I just want to rip people's head off and scream at them!!!

My query suppressed scan is on 9 Feb, so not sure when they'll get me stimming. I thought I had some more twinges around my ovaries, but as my darling husband says "it's probably just gas".

TBD - thanks for the tip with the roll of fat (plenty of that to choose from!!!).
  • Thanks WWAF! Good luck with the transition to stimming - I've read people start to feel a lot better at that stage, and certainly from a psychological point of view, I'm more exciting about pushing the on button to set my ovaries into overdrive than shutting them down!

Thanks for the reassurance about the hormones. It's odd - almost like an out of body experience, in that the rational part of me can step back and see that someone accidentally pushing in front of me in the queue at Pret doesn't deserve to be screamed at and called every foul name under the sun... Yet I still have to fight hard to overwhelm the urge! I can be a bit feisty at the best of times, but even for me this is bad!!

I'm finding the injections a bit more painful than I did for IUI (sorry for any ladies reading this who are worried about injections). It's uncomfortable more than anything as the needles just don't seem to want to go in! I just have to push quite hard. Once the needle's through the skin, then it's plain sailing.

Rachie - you asked about work. I have told my boss about the treatment because he is a friend and he and his wife have gone through IVF themselves. He has been brilliantly supportive and understands I will need to book time off for EC and ET (and possibly a few days afterwards, depending how I am feeling) at reasonably short notice. HR know I will be needing time off for medical reasons, but they they don't know the details. I feel very strongly that I don't want others to know, as I don't want the questions, gossip or pity if it doesn't work. I don't want anyone treating me differently. I haven't told family or friends either, for the same reason. But like everything - it's entirely a personal choice.

Now looking forward to AF arriving, as it's all progress. I'm only day 5 of DR, so I guess I have a few days to wait yet.

Wishing you both (and anyone else having treatment) the best of luck. Keep letting us know how you go.

xxxxx
  • WWAF I am so so pleased that your AF has turned up... that is brilliant!!! Bring on ths stimms for you over the weekend... so pleased for you! How are you feeling?
    MrsD how are those hormones today?? Do you feel better for working at home? When you described that feeling, I am SO with you!! I was driving to work yesterday and I burst into hysterical tears as I couldn't find the radio station I wanted to listen to... it wouldn't pick it up in my car. If anyone had seen me they would have thought something absolutely horrendous had happened to me. I couldn't stop myself...
    I am pleased you have such an understanding boss and you managed to explain it to him and everything.
    AF has not arrived just yet, but it is coming... I am just waiting for it... skin has broken out, feel bloated and have a hot water bottle on my belly ...so just waiting for it!
    xxx
  • Hi RachieS - how are you doing, cycle buddy? Any symptoms?

WWAF - I have replied on the other thread, but that's great news that you have a date for stimming - it's so exciting moving into a new phase in the treatment each time, isn't it?

Yes - I saw the TV program with the ladies in ther late 50s having children. I was gobsmacked when I heard she didn't even know she was PG, and they were pretty sure her swollen stomach and general sickness was due to ovarian cancer (rather than there being a 29 week baby in her uterus!). If it was me, I think I would have tested after the bleed just to be sure, but hey ho! Don't know if I am just more aware of it than usual, but there are also a couple of stories in the press of female to male transexuals having children as well, and as you say, if others can get PG despite the various hormones flying around their system, there must be some hope for us!!
  • Mrs D I am SO tired... constantly!!! I am in bed really early every night, I fell asleep on the sofa every night last week but 9.30! Other than that I don't feel too bad, but I am so tired.
    I thought AF was coming but it has not yet... I am hoping it is immenient though... never thought I would say that!
    How are you doing??? Feeling OK??
    xx
  • Hi ladies!

Well, I think the buserlin is starting to take its toll... I was shattered over the weekend (needing afternoon naps - most unlike me!), and yesterday I couldn't shift a general groggy, foggy head.

Then today, AF got me!! No "bit of spotting" for me - no, full cramps, heavy flow etc. I suppose if the aim is to have a thin uterine lining before the stimming starts, I reckon I'm well on the way.

WWAF - yeah, the menopur is fiddly. Some girls have struggled with the glass cutting their fingers. My hospital gave me these neat little plastic caps that you put over the top, then when you snap the top of the vial off the sharp edge is hidden under the plastic. Just a thought - worth asking for if you have that problem. But bring on the thinner needles! Hope you aren't feeling too tender, and you don't get any side effects.

Rachie - did AF ever rear her ugly head? Hope DR is still treating you kindly.

xx
  • MrsD I am pleased that AF has arrived... shows you are getting nice and suppressed.
    My AF has arrived too, it is really heavy too!
    Also completely understand how tired you are... I keep falling asleep. I am constantly tired, and my head is foggy too, and I occasional feel dizzy.
    WWAF How you geting on with the stims? When is your next scan?? That is so sweet of your MIL to send you that fertility doll.
    xxx
  • WWAF I will keep everything crossed for Monday for you!! It won't be long until EC really?!?
    Glad the first stimms injections went well. I expect you can feel twinges in your ovaries... heard that is really common during stimms as everything suddenly grows really quickly!! image
    xxx
  • Hello ladies!

WWAF - best of luck for your scan on Monday. Guess that twinges in the ovaries must be a sign something is happening there... I certainly could feel them when I injected menopur for IUI, and that was only aiming for one or two follicles...

Rachie - hope the symptoms aren't getting to you too much... Guess not long to go now until we cans witch to stimming and a whole new set!

My query suppressed scan is on Tuesday morning, so I'm hoping that will show everythign has shut down and I can start with the next round. Excited to move on the next phase.

Brilliant news about Claire-ski's BFP - another first timer!

xx

• It is fantastic about Claire, and it was brilliant to see she only had 1 embryo transferred to and it worked image
    Have you guys thought about 1 or two embryos? My hospital have said it depends on the quality of embryos. If I have 4 or more embryos that make it to blasts and they are of excellent quality I am only allowed 1 embryo to be transferred. But if they are lesser quality then I will have 2?!
    I am feeling horrendous today... I feel so tired, I am completely exhausted constantly and it is getting me down. I am asleep every night by 9.30 and I then wake up all foggy headed and still so tired it is like I haven't slept image
    My suppression scan in on friday... rock on!!!!
    How are you feeling MrsD?? I really hope Tuesday shows you have shut down and everything image
    WWAF hope your little follicles are growing nice and big image
    xxx
  • Hi there

My clinic only talked briefly about the number of embryos. Assuming we get to the stage of having a choice, I think their usual position is to recommend transfering just the one. However, they will agree to transfer two in certain circumstances - eg if the woman is over 37?? I'm about to turn 36, so I don't know if they would allow me to have two. Have to say, I know there are risks and it would be hard work, but I would love to have twins.

Really hope I can move on to stimming this week - as you can probably tell, I'm impatient to get going!!
  • Good luck for today WWAF... let us know how you get on. I really really hope you have some fantastic size follicles.
    MrsD I really hope you can start stimming this week, Good luck with the scan tomorrow. I wish I had my scan tomorrow, I really want to get onto the next stage now. I am exhausted and the last two days I have started suffering from hot flushes... xxx
  • Good luck for today WWAF... let us know how you get on. I really really hope you have some fantastic size follicles.
    MrsD I really hope you can start stimming this week, Good luck with the scan tomorrow. I wish I had my scan tomorrow, I really want to get onto the next stage now. I am exhausted and the last two days I have started suffering from hot flushes... xxx
  • WWAF that is fantastic, absolutely brilliant news! They sound good size follicles there and the lining is getting nice and thick! How many days have you been on the stimms so far?! Which stimm drugs are you on as well! Do you have to go back before next week?
    The flushes are annoying me for definite... I was literally sweltering last night whilst my DH was telling me how cold the room was!!!
    xxx
  • I am going to be on Gonal-F, am alternating between 75ml and 150ml as I have PCOS so are worried about OHSS with me, am also on baby aspirin as well. Was told to start the baby aspirin on the first day of stimms.
    To have 14 on day 7 is brilliant, that is fantastic! Do you feel bloated or anything?
    Yeap started protein shakes this weekend, which ones are you on? I am on the whey protein ones from Holland and Barratts, strawberry flavour. I don't mind them at all. I forgot to take it this morning so will be having it this afternoon.
    I have 3 adoreable kittens now, they are gorgeous. I will send you some photos. Have not got round to putting any up but I will. They are gorgeous. My cats are like yours and are the most pampered cats in the world but are so adoreable. I love them image
    xxx
  • Good luck MrsD on your suppression scan... hope it shows you to be fully suppressed!
    xx