Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions

I am soooo gutted!!!!

Sorry lovely ladies, I need to get this off my chest before I scream the house done.
I started my IVF injections last Wednesday and everything has been going ok. My husband has been giving my injections due to my fear of needles. Yesterday we started on the second lot of injections and again all appeared to be running smoothly. This evening, for some reason I decided to go to the fridge to see how many injections I had left. Don't know why as I am well aware of how many days I have left to go. It was at this point I couldn't find the "late night injection".I then realised that the injection had been given to me on Sunday by mistake. I called the hospital straight away and have to go in for a scan tomorrow. I've been told that this cycle will most likely have to be cancelled now. I cannot believe that my normally very with it husband has made such a f*** up. He is totally gutted with himself so I don't want to go too mad at him as it wasn't a deliberate mistake but I feel like kiliing him. How difficult can it be to give the right injection????This IVF lark is stressful enough without this happening. I can't believe that ??????1000 worth of drugs has been for nothing. It is our 8 year wedding anniversary tomorrow and I was hoping for some flowers but instead he's given me the lethal injection. Charming!!
Anyway, not much we can do about it now. Will find out my fate with this cycle in the morning.
Sorry for the rant and thanks for listening x

Replies

• I'm so sorry! I can understand why your gutted & want to kill him. Hang in there & keep us posted. I don't think I've ever read a message like this one before!! Hopefully the hospital will have a bright idea x
  • Oh Helen, I'm so sorry to hear this has happened, you poor thing (and your poor husband, he must be so angry with himself). Such bad luck .. but could have happened to any of us I'm sure (though I know that's no consolation for you). Fingers crossed the clinic are able to give you some guidance and you can rescue things.
  • Oh you poor thing!! Didn't want to R&R to this one - My heart goes out to you - I can understand how furious and frustrated you must be feeling. Good for you for coming on here to have a rant, rather than vent on your OH....... I know you must really want to scream at him for such a heinous error ... but it was an error (and I'm sure he's absolutely killing himself with guilt all by himself anyway!)
    I remember with my IVF, I almost scr*wed up the last injection by pricking it into my finger and bending the needle... we got it in eventually but I cried my eyes out. It's such a stressful time. I can't imagine how bad you must be feeling now. I really hope the clinic can give you good news today and that it's not the end of your cycle. Whatever happens, try to stay as positive as you can...... over our LTTTC journey I've learnt that the best thing you can do is stay strong as a couple and ride the ups and downs .... not always easy! Good luck and I've got my fingers crossed that your anniversary present is happy news from your doctors!
    xx
  • Just a little update for you. I went off to Hammersmith yesterday morning for my scan. Seems I am not responding to the drugs. Have only managed to produce one tiny follicle. The Doctor who scanned me said that with the lack of responding and the fact that the late night injection had been taken he was fairly confident that the cycle would be cancelled. This had to be confimed with the consultant who was in theatre and wouldn't be able to look at my case until later. Anyway the hospital called me back and told me to continue the injecting for 3 more days. That was a shock as I had convinced myself it was the end. I have to go back for a scan tomorrow morning to see if there are any improvements. So as it stands there is still hope - for now. Will update tomorrow when I know what the outcome is!!!
  • Its great that they are giving our follicles a chance, lets just hope that at least that one gets big and strong.

Keeping everything crossed for you xxx
  • Hi Helen,

I am so sorry to hear of what happened but really hoping that this cycle works out for you in the end! You must have been fuming..!
    Hope you dont mind but noticed you are at hammersmith. I have just been referred there for icsi and am waiting for my initial appointment. Wondered if you were NHS or private. If you were NHS, would you mind giving me a rough idea of timescales eg how long it took for the initial letter to come through, how long til your 1st appoint.

Sorry if this is a pain, but just am feeling down about the wait at the mo and it would help to have a timescale. the consultant didnt seem to think it would be very long.

Best of luck and keep us posted xxx
  • Hi Samsa.

I am private at Hammersmith this time round so things have moved quite quickly. Whereabout have you been referred from? My friend was told by her consultant the other day that the wait is 3 months. Have you had your blood tests or HSG yet?
  • Thanks Helen,

Being referred from N Herts which i have heard is much quicker than London. Have had bloods/swabs etc and have had hsg previously when i had a lap so literally just waiting for the 1st appointment. We are hopefully having icsi due to male factor.
    The consultant who has referred us said february but some girls on fertility friend who have had recent treatment seemed to think even quicker. I do hope so!
    Is the 3 months that your friend was told once you have the 1st hammersmith appoint or from original referral do you think?

xxx

ps i do feel bad getting so anxious already and i know from other girls on here that the wait in other parts of the country is much worse, so shd really be more appreciative i guess
  • Hi Samsa
    Not really sure about the referral for my friend. Going on past experience it was 3 months from the point of Hammersmith giving the go ahead to fund the IVF on the NHS. Think it took about a month to get my funding appointment after I was referred. That was 3 years ago and I know they are quicker now. Not even sure if they still do the funding appointment.
    We are lucky where we live that the appointments come through quickly. Although I know what it's like being desperate for a baby, a 3 month wait seems forever. Personally I think it will be sooner than 3 months. By christmas you will be on your way!!!
  • i soooo hope so! I am desperate to start my family, so much so it hurts!

Where are you at now? Any more news on your cycle? xx