Forum home› Getting pregnant› IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

IVF Funding

Good morning all,

I have an appointment in March @ Guys for a referral to their gynaeo/ fertility unit. My partner and I will undergo some tests. My GP siad that once our tests were complete ( Sperm analysis, more bloods and test to see if tubes blocked etc) we will hopefully be put forward for treatment. I presume that in order to be eligible for free assistance you have to pass several criteria? Does anyone know what that is? i.e do you have to earn a certain amount of money for example? We dont have the money but would find it some way if we had to.

if it helps we are having the first/ initial tests @ Guys and then will undergo more testing at St Heliers even though Guys and St Thomas' so much closer to home. Has anyone been to St Heliers?

I look forward to hearing from anyone.

Thank-you

Replies

• Options
    Hi Mimi1979. Will you be going down the NHS route? When they talk about criteria I think they are talking more physically than financially, i.e. if there is an obvious "reason/problem" then you would probably qualify for assistance and then once they know this they would decide, what type of assistance (as there are various types of IVF for instance). Things you can do to help yourself and your partner are to have a healthy diet, try to be within what they consider a normal BMI (although I don't think its essential, just helpful) get your partner onto lots of vitamins to help improve his sperm, cut down on alcohol (if he does drink at all), things like that really. Good luck !
  • Options
    Hi Mimi the advice the girls have given you are completely right... you can usually find out the criteria on your local PCT website?! Or your GP will know. Most PCTs say you have to be above 30.
    xx
  • Options
    Thank- you so much for your responses! We have been referred through nhs. We meet the criteria tht you have listed, non smokers, over 30, both fit and healthy and no weight issues. Neither do we have any children together or frm previous relationships. Boyf doesnt really drink and ive given him vits to take because he seems to have poor sperm motility. Thanks again. Phew one less thing to think about. Good luck and have a gr8 w\end!