Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

This might be a bit controversial, but......

......has anyone considered "Egg-Sharing"?

There is a site (www.carefertility.com) and they have a few clinics where they do it and it's at a significantly reduced cost, as you donate half of your eggs to another couple.

Just worked out that it would cost me approx ??1800 for ICSI, as opposed to ??3800 on NHS image

Just really torn, as I couldn't stand the thought of things not working out again (after one successful ICSI attempt ending in miscarrige) and thinking that it had worked for the person I donated to (even though I wouldn't know her outcome).

Any thoughts?

Emma x

Replies

• Oh right Mrs A- Yes, I noticed a limit of about 36 to donate (I think).

I'm going to book a consultation anyway and get some more facts- love the idea of pressure being taken off cost wise and getting twice as many opportunities for the same cash!

• I looked into donating eggs a few years ago as a couple of friends had fertility problems, and I thought why not give my healthy ones away? Unfortunately I am on Epilim so they can't use them for other couples. This was all way before we started planning on babies and IVF, but now we are doing it, we are deciding on whether to share eggs for research - it reduces the cost by ??1500. It depends on how many I get though as we want to give ourselves the best chance, and can only afford one go.
  • Hi Emma, I did egg sharing twice and although it didn't work for me at the time i felt that at least something good may have happened to someone else, it helps not knowing the outcome and who knows I may have been the one needing someone to donate to me in the future and what better gift could you give, It's so much cheaper than paying the whole amount yourself unfortunately i was too old to continue with the egg sharing but luckily our last ivf attempt gave us the baby that we always dreamt of. So never give up on your dream of becoming a mum.
    All the best and hope all goes well for you. x
  • Hi, I egg shared last time as the fertility issue we have lies with my husband and not me. I was lucky and did get pregnant and I now have a beautiful 10 month daughter but we found out a few months ago the other couple were not successful so it does make you feel really gutted for them. We were hoping to do it again this time but the clinic have told us the HFEA have changed some rules in Oct 09 and because I am a cystic fibrosis carrier I can't donate, but they knew this last time so we are appealing and trying to egg share again. Primarily because of the cost but also because I do really feel for those who need eggs and I know there is a really long waiting list and because I am healthy I really want to help. Good luck with your treatment whatever you decide!
    Rhian x
  • Hi Emma,

We had ICSI at Northampton Care and would highly reccommend them. Their success rates are so much better than other clinics and they were the most local to us.

I would have considered egg donation but was too old (36)

Good luck fpr your next cycle image

Alison xxx
  • PS I'm 33 weeks baby due June 21st and we've got 2 grade 2 embryo's in the freezer!!!
  • Wow- thanks for your responses ladies- it's something I initially 100% ruled out, but the thought of having to save for a year in between each attempt and my ticking clock (29 next month!) I now think it's stupid not to consider it :roll:

I'm going to book an appointment at the Sheffield clinic and hopefully, they will have as good success rates as Northampton Mrs Pootle! It's nearer to us (Bradford), so with a bit of luck, we will be good to go. from their email to me, it seems there might be a chance of getting our local GP to do my bloods to save a few journes, so might have to sweet-talk my docs and see if they agree!!!!!

Lori, that's a realy predicament I think lots of people would empathise with. When we did ICSI last time, we got 15 eggs, 11 fertilised and by day 2, only 2 out of of 5 embryos were graded high enough to implant. If I get less eggs this time, I'll be really concerned about the implications, especially when having to share.....guess that's just a gamble you have to take when the ultimate reward is so high :\?

Congratulations MandyEvs, Miss Polar & Mrs Pootle on your impending births- it's fantastic hearing people success stories!

Many thanks all- I feel better now :\)

Emma x
  • I've looked into this too, but my concerns were time and priority.

It is compulsory to have counselling and extra medical checks which can add another month or two onto the process. If the other couple are successful, any child born of the donated egg has the right to be given your details on request once they reach 18 to locate you.

If you're not successful but get a knock on the door in 20 years time, it could be very painful emotionally?

I was concerned that the -best' eggs would be given to those paying the most money to the clinic (The couple receiving the donor eggs). That is probably me being paranoid but I want to be the clinics number one priority with the choice of the best eggs.

Also some clinics have a limit on BMI, so you need to be on top of your weight to qualify! Good luck! x
  • I really want to have ivf/icsi using the egg sharing scheme at my local private clinic. They have a good success rate and we visited on an open day and felt very comfortable there.
    We could have ivf and icsi at a cost of
  • Thanks Fairy & Lolsie

The knock on the door is my biggest concern, because that would be a child who was half mine, but not my husbands- where would that leave him? Although I think the chances are really low of that happening anyway.

Yes Fairy that was my concern too- to find that they had got the best (and I think the donor takes second priority) would be sooooooo traumatic.

Lolsie, sounds like you've got your mind round it all and are ready to go!!

Totally agree re price and more avenues that opens up.

Keep posting as to whether you go ahead or not, I'm thinking we will prob take the plunge :-O

Ps we have also been trying for 3.5 years now and every month feels like an eternity, so someone asking you to be patient and hang on can be really hard!!!

Good luck girls xx

• i just wanted to give an opinion from the other side of the fence, as someone about to try egg donation as my only hope of ever being pregnant.

i found out last year in august that i had premature ovarian failure and had no hope whatsoever of conceiving a child of my own. to have such a final and shocking diagnosis was devastating. it has taken until now to grieve for the child that i will never have and open my mind to using a donor egg. i badly want to be a mother and egg donation is the only way that i ever will be. most women with fertility issues conceive in the end, just not with my condition.

when a fertilised donor egg is implanted there is an immediate impact on the genes in that egg. the woman who is carrying the child has an impact on whether genes are switched on or off. so in effect the child has 3 parents: the father, the woman who supplied the egg and the woman who carried it. it will not be the same child that it would have been had it beeen carried by the biological mother. i just wanted to share that with you, as most people are not aware that the woman who carries the child has such a significant impact on how the child develops even before it is born.

we start our journey in a couple of weeks and will have to hear how long the waiting list is. it could be over 3 years. if you share your eggs you give women who will never have their own children a chance.

the very best of luck to all of you no matter what you decide x
  • I'm so glad you posted that luckyvic, its astonishing the way the human body can work when science intervenes. I wish you well on your journey and hope you get the child you long for.

e81wilkins - I have made my mind up but unfortunately as i said hubby is reluctant and its proving difficult to get him to try and see it from the other side. I'm glad someone else can appreciate how every month counts. I'm not mad after all! Lol!

Just my opinion but I would think the chance of a child turning up on your doorstep would be very slim - its not like you've put your child up for adoption. If i found out i have been conceived using a donor egg it wouldn't bother me at all - i certainly wouldn't go looking for the donor. It would just bring home to me how much i was wanted and how much my mum and dad were willing to put themselves through to have me.

xx
  • Luckyvic- thank you so much for your reply. I wasn't sure if anyone was around to offer such a valuable opinion. You have confirmed what I thought and I completely empathise with those who cannot conceive- to have this chance must be something you cling to in times when you feel like there's no hope left!!!

It has certainly helped me and confirmed what I and my husband thought......that this is the right thing to do.

Obviously it would be painful to know that the person I donated to had conceived if I hadn't, but what an amazing gift to that lady. I would have to focus on the positive in that situation and know tht because the cost hadn't been so massive, I could have another go.

Lolsie- good luck with your husband- think it just takes a while to understand and thing logically about the concept- it is a huge deal after all!!

I really hope we are all posting on "pregnancy after infertility" very soon image

All the best girls and thans again for all the comments- think we have covered all areas between us!!!!!

Emma xx