Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions

My IUI story so far...

Hi everyone

I don't want this to be a self indulgent ramble about my IUI experience, but at the same time I quite wanted to share my experience with others who may be going through it in the future.

AF reared her ugly head on Sunday. I knew she was coming - my temps had helpfully dipped, so I knew our last try at a natural BFP hadn't worked.

On Tuesday (cd 3) I went into the hospital for a scan. I went on my own. I figured there wasn't much DH could do, and he needs to save his goodwill at work for the bit when we really do need him, and potentially at short notice.

Waiting for the scan was a bit grim... The waiting room was full of expectant couples going for their baby scans - women happily stroking their pregnant bellies, with proud dads to be by their side. They looked so happy, and of course I was jealous as hell. Sigh.

The scan when it happened was a transvaginal one, with the dreaded dildocam. It didn't hurt, and wasn't uncomfortable at all. Apparently my results were what they expected - lining was 5mm, and there were some cysts on my ovaries (but I don't have PCOS). I then had an appointment with the fertility nurse, who showed me how to inject the drugs - 150ml of Menopur every two days. While I challenge anyone to find it natural to stick a needle into yourself... honestly, it really isn't that bad. The needle is very, very fine, and it doesn't hurt. I've injected myself twice now, and I'm totally relaxed about it. I strangely look forward to it because at least I am doing something postive.

I have to inject on days 3, 5 and 7, then on day 9 (Monday) I go back for a scan to see whether any follicles are developing. If there are one or two follicles of the right size, then they will inject me to trigger ovulation. They told me to completely forget my usual cycle pattern (I normally OV around day 18) as the drugs will turn that upside down. So insemination could be any day next week!

In terms of side effects, I have had a headache on both days I have injected the Menopur so far. I don't want to take any pain killers, and it's not been too bad. I've been a bit snappy at work - small things irritate me - but it's no worse than PMT, and I guess that could be a side effect.

Right, I'm now going to sign off for the weekend as MrD and I have booked a last minute break in a country hotel. I'll check back in to let you know how Monday's appointment goes....

xx

Replies

• Hey MrsD, thanks for sharing your story so far - I think it's good for you to have somewhere to talk about it and I for one find it helpful to read these stories as I am a few steps behind you. It sounds like you are being very brave about it all as it all sounds pretty nasty....but I guess you are probably willing to do whatever it takes if it helps you get your BFP....I know that's how I feel about it all anyway.
    Your weekend away in the country sounds perfect - just what you need right now I imagine. Hope you have a really lovely time and I look forward to hearing more of your story next week. How exciting that any day next week you could have a little embryo inside you. Fingers crossed for you hon xx
  • Hi Mrs D

Hope you enjoy your weekend.

I have just had my second cycle of IUI and now in the dreaded 2ww. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

S x
  • Hi MrsD. Hope you had a lovely relaxing weekend and hope the scan today goes well for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Thanks for sharing your story so far. It is really good to hear so the rest of us know what to expect when we get there!

Keep up the PMA and I am rooting for you this week.

xxxx
  • Thanks for your messages ladies.

Squibly - fingers crossed for your 2ww. Really hope it is second time lucky for you.

MrsHopeful - good to see you her honey, and thanks for the positive vibes.

My IUI story continues....

Weekend away was great. Lovely, lovely hotel and the food was amazing. It was a *very* family friendly hotel, to the point where I felt like the odd ones out without the accessories of car seats, change bags and toys... but strangely I didn't mind. We sat out in the gardens on the Saturday afternoon drinking tea watching hoards of cute little ones running around in the sunshine. It was actually really really nice - MrD just kept saying things like "This'll be us" and "I'm going to have to get fit if I'm going to keep up with ours..." (he's right - he will).

I had my day 9 scan this morning and good news - I have responded well to the drugs. My lining is 7mm, and I have two follicles - one on each ovary, 15mm and 16mm respectively. The magic number is 17mm.... so I'm back in for a scan tomorrow morning, and provided they grow overnight they will (probably) inject me tomorrow to trigger OV, with insemination on Wednesday.

It's all good news, and I was bouncing after the appointment. I called MrD and sadly we ended up having a stupid argument, with me feeling that he wasn't supporting me enough. I am putting it down to the hormones making a bit bonkers!

So I'm back in the hospital tomorrow for another scan. I'll let you know how I go....

xx

[Modified by: *MrsD* on September 17, 2009 09:30 PM]

• Day 10....

Had yet another scan this morning and it's all good - lining is 8mm and although one follicle has stopped at 15mm, the one on my right ovary is 17mm, which is optimal.

The nurse gave me the jab to induce OV (in my bum - ouch!!) and I am booked in for insemination at 9.30 tomorrow morning.

One step closer....

• Hey MrsD, I replied on your other thread, but just wanted to wish you so so much luck, fingers crossed for you honey xxx Really loving reading your updates as it gives real insight for those of us one step behind you on this journey
  • Thanks for the words of encouragement girls.

W*W*A*F - I really think the hormonal stuff has been a minor blip. I feel loads better today, and (after some very wise words from the LTTTC ladies) talking to my darling husband last night helped loads.

So.... Day 11... Insemination Day...

It went well. MrD did the deed at home, and took his sample pot up to the hospital with me - tucked inside a woolly sock to keep it warm!! (A tip from the nurse). After some debate last night, we decided I'd go on my own, and to be honest I didn't mind it. After delivering my little sock clad pot, I went for a cup of tea while they treated/washed our little swimmers to pick out the strongest squad.

That took about an hour, and then the nurse did the insemination. I have already written about some of this on the LTTTC forum, but it didn't hurt, although it wasn't particularly comfortable. The start felt much like a smear, but she then needed some help to get the cervix to come down. She said it would feel like a pinch, but really it didn't hurt. When the needle went in, it felt like having the HSG done, but without the AF style cramps (I had very, very mild cramps that passed within 10 seconds). The whole thing was over in a couple of minutes. I concentrated on breathing deeply throughout the whole thing, which I think helped. I do yoga, and they make you concentrate on filling all areas of your lungs with slow deep breaths, and that kind of took my mind off it and helped me relax. The hospital had also thoughtfully put a massive poster of a tropical beach on the ceiling above the bed, so I could let my mind wander and think about that!

They left me like that for a few minutes, then I was up, dressed and on my way home. I have been advised to BD tonight and tomorrow night to improve our chances. It also means if we get lucky this month, in our mind there will be a chance our baby was made through old fashioned love making rather than the clinical procedure! I start taking progesterone pessaries on Saturday, and if there is no sign of AF, then I take a HPT on Saturday 3 October.

I have used the progesterone pessaries before, and they are a bit grim. They are like little pellets of lard, and as they disintegrate, well, what goes up must come down! They also gave me PG symptoms (sore boobs, low cramps etc) and can delay AF. So there will be no point in symptom spotting - I have to wait until I test.

The good news was that MrD produced a good sample. His motility was up from his last two tests (25%) to 55%, and after washing the sperm, this went up to 75%. YAY!! His progression went from 2 (before the sample was washed) to 3, on a scale of 0 to 4 (4 being the best). So he was really chuffed about that - go team D*****!!

All in all, the cycle went well, and I don't think we could have hoped for anything to have gone better. Our odds aren't great - maybe 5-10%, but if it doesn't work, then we go again, and again.

I'm now sat at home with my feet up keeping warm, hoping and praying there is a small fireworks party going off in my fallopian tubes.

I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

xx

My tips on the first two weeks of an IUI cycle:

- be prepared to wait around quite a lot. I feel like I have spent a lot of time waiting in the hospital for scans, appointments etc. (I am on the NHS, and maybe private clinics move a bit quicker). I tried reading a book but it was a no go - I just couldn't concentrate. So instead I treat myself to a nice magazine to flick through on each trip (my coffee table has built up a nice stock of September glossies!!)

- make friends with the fertility nurses. I found this made the process easier for me, and they have been absolute stars throughout. Being greeted by a smile on each visit and them using my first name makes a difference

- I went to each appointment on my own, and there were others who did the same, so I didn't feel like Billy No Mates. Others had their partners with them - it's down to personal choice

- breathe through whichever stage you are going through. It helps relax the muscles so whatever piece of surgical equipment is being inserted into you, it goes in easier

- use a woolly sock to keep the pot of swimmers at body temperature before they are delivered to the lab

- they say you can go back to work straight after insemination, but I say if you can take the day off then do (a box of jaffa cakes to keep you company is optional)

- I also found this summary of the treatment really helpful: http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,16321.0.html

[Modified by: *MrsD* on September 17, 2009 09:32 PM]

• Mrs D, thank you so much for such a detailed post. We are currently waiting for our next appointment where we will find out it DH's swimmers are up for the challenge of IUI! Last couple of results have been very poor so fingers tightly crossed that all the vitamins he's been taking work! I have searched the internet for information on IUI but there has been nowhere which gives such a personal account, so thank you so much for yours.

I wish you all the luck in the world x
  • MrsD I've replied on your other thread but secinbd what Chickidee says. I am in the same boat and waiting to see if IUI is an option for us or if we move straight to IVF, but it's so so nice to have such a detailed account so I know what may be in store for me. You have a lovely, positive yet honest, way of telling the story and it will be a nice thing to keep hold of WHEN you get your BFP xx
  • Thank you for sharing your experience. I have everything crossed for your bfp xxx
  • Hey MrsD, just wanted to say I've been thiking of you honey.........have EVERYTHING crossed for you and so so want you to get your BFP. Did you say you are 10 dpo today? When will you test? Hope you're managing to keep your mind off it all at the moment. I had noticed you hadn't been around much lately and figured you must be trying to keep your mind off it all xxx
  • Hey tbd

I'm 11dpo today (Sunday) and the hospital told me not to test until Saturday 3 October (assuming no AF) - which will take me to 17 dpo. MrD knows that is my testing date as well and he has made me promise to wait.

I have slightly sore boobs with blue veins and am getting regular twinges in my ovaries, which is ALL down to the progesterone supplements, I know. I was shattered last week, but that was entirely down to a very busy and stressful week at the office (rounded off with a job interview on Friday afternoon). Kind of hoping this week is reasonably busy too as at least it will take my mind off things!!!

Gonna stay away from BE for a few more days. I'll let you know how we go.

xx
  • Ooh MrsD, waiting til Sat will take some restraint hey.....I guess if you are still in the running by then you'll know you're in with a good chance though. Must be hard knowing the symptoms are probably due to the supplements, but really hoping they are a good sign for you as well. Loads of luck honey and looking forward to your update, although understand why you're keeping away from here xxx
  • Mrsd.... Good luck for saturday! I have everything crossed for you hun, xxx
  • Ladies

Thanks so much for remembering and for your kind words. I will indeed be testing tomorrow, which will be 17dpo. I feel like a deserve a medal for not caving and testing before now!!

xx
  • Test this morning (17dpo) was negative.

I had steeled myself for it, because I have had no symptoms for the last few days, but it doesn't make it much easier.

I'm guessing AF will arrive in the next few days (I stopped the progesterone on Thursday, so it take a few days for those levels to drop back to normal). Then it's on to the next round of scans and injections.

As I posted in LTTTC, this is a long game of chance and stats. So we'll move on and roll the dice again, and hopefully our chances will improve. I responded well to the drugs last time, so fingers crossed with a bit more help we'll get there. Eventually.

xx
  • Mrs D

I am sorry your IUI wasn't successful. Having been through it twice now - waiting for cycle 3, it is such a draining experience and for me the progesterone supplements are the hardest part.

Take care of yourself and i wish you every success in getting your BFP - it will happen just hang in there.

S x
  • Thank you Squibly. Best of luck with cycle 3.

And I'm strangely glad to find I'm not the only one who finds the progesterone one of the worst bits of this whole experience!

• Hi Mrs D

Hope you are ok - i agree it is comforting to know that others are going through the same experience and struggle with the same things i do.

I have just had my CD12 scan and am in shock as i have four follicles all above 18mm - i know FOUR - the clomid has really kicked in this month!! My lining is 13 i think?!

The consultant gave us a really serious chat about multiple birthes and the associated risks however all involved have agreed to proceed!!

I now have to poas until i get my surge - they didn't want to trigger as wanted to keep it as natural as possible!! What with four follicles???

I think i will prob get my surge on Weds then go in for the IUI.

Good luck for your next cycle and keep us posted.

S x

• Hi Squibly - How is this round treating you? Four follicles - wow!! Hope that all went well... How is your 2ww going? Sorry for the delay in responding... I have been taking a bit of a break from BE for a week or two.

I am in cycle 2, and I just had my insemination today. It hasn't been a great cycle to be honest. I think I maybe got very lucky with my first. I didn't respond to the drugs as well this time - just the one follicle, rather than two. I have also been ratty as hell, as I'm sure MrD will testify. I do feel sorry for him, but somehow I still want to rip his (and everyone else's) head off.

The insemination this morning was not at all comfortable. They struggled to get the catheter into my cervix, and the whole thing took 2 nurses 25 minutes. It hurt a lot, and they kept apologising that it wasn't working. I bled a bit and still am.

[**Anyone reading this who is about to start IUI - I'm really sorry, but I don't think my experience is typical - please don't worry**]

I'm sitting at home and very glad I took the day off. I'm cramping and aching quite a bit, and I'm wondering how I'm going to BD tonight and tomorrow night when I feel this sore! I daren't tell hubbie how painful it was in case it puts him off, as he won't want to hurt me. But I know that sex tonight will help our chances.

So now it's yet another 2ww, and I get to use those lovely pessaries again on Friday. Woohoo!!!!