Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

All moving very quickly *UPDATE* Egg collection on Wednesday

Hello ladies

This is my first post on the IVF board, although I've been around BE for ages.

My hubby and I are currently going through IVF with ICSI due to very low sperm count on his side and low ovarian reserve on mine. Because of my low ovarian reserve, the consultant recommended not bothering with down-regging, so we're on the short protocol. After a false start last month due to a cyst, I started stimming on Monday, which was CD3.

I'm on the highest recommended dose of Gonal-F - 450 IU. It's definitely produced a few side effects - a vicious temper being the one that bothers DH the most, while I'm more bothered by the extreme exhaustion, occasional dizziness and bloated, heavy feeling in my stomach. I also, since yesterday, have masses and masses of EWCM - more than I've ever seen before, which is apparently another common side effect. I was really worried about doing the injections, but haven't had any trouble at all - it's been MUCH easier than I expected.

This morning I had a scan which showed I have four follicles - a 10mm on my left ovary and a 10 and two 14s on my right. I had a Cetrotide injection to prevent early ovulation - I've reacted to that with a huge swollen lump on my stomach, but again it wasn't painful.

My next appointment is on Monday, when I should hear whether egg collection will be on Wednesday or Friday. I had originally been told to expect next Friday or the following Monday, so may need to do a bit of rearranging at work, but am now alternating between excited and freaked out as I wait for the next stage.

I can't believe how quick this is once you get started - the waiting really is the worst part in terms of screwing with your mind. Will keep you updated...

[Modified by: LDOM on 12 October 2009 12:49:29 ]

Replies

• Hi Ldom,

Just gc cause was interested in reading how it's all going, wow it's all happening so quick for you!! I suppose this is cause they havent down reg you!! (my best friend had icsi earlier this year so am quite familiar with it all).

Well I just wanted to wish you lots & lots of luck hun & will catch up with any updates you have nxt week!! xxxx
  • Oh wow LDOM that is quick! Gosh you must have such a mixture of emotions. Sounds good that you have 4 already. The side-effects don't sound too nice, but will all be worth it for that long-awaited BFP that you so deserve. Keep us updated hon. I have EVERYTHING crossed for you xx
  • Thanks ladies. My biggest headache at the moment is trying to arrange for a lift to and from the hospital, as hubby doesn't drive. He can't understand why I don't want to just call a cab when we're done - am I being unreasonable? I just think if I've just woken up from an anaesthetic and am feeling a bit sore, I'd rather have somebody there that I know rather than have to hang around waiting for a cab and then get into a vehicle that smells of dangly air fresheners and have to make polite conversation with a stranger.

Anyway, we have three or four offers and just have to wait now until we know whether EC will be on Wednesday or Friday before checking which of them is available on the day.

I'm also going to be spending the weekend cooking for the freezer, as DH doesn't cook and the pre-op info says I'm not allowed to operate dangerous machinery "such as cookers" for at least 24 hours after EC. xx
  • LDOM - I am following this with interest. Best of luck for either Weds or Fri. You made me :lol: at the idea of cookers being 'dangerous machinery'! Maybe it depends more on who's operating them?! Thinking of you chick x
  • Hey LDOM, can totally understand why you wouldn't want to be picked up in a cab! Great you've got some offers of lifts though. Good plan to stock up on meals hon, I imagine the last thing you'll want to do is start cooking when you get home! You sound like a very patient person with your hubbie not driving or cooking....

So how are the injections going then hon? Can't believe by this time next week you could be pregnant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xxx
  • Thanks KayeCee. Sadly, I made the mistake of telling hubby about the 'dangerous machinery' - it's given him one more excuse not to learn to cook!

TBD, the actual doing of the injections is fine - I really don't have a problem with that. But my stomach looks like I've been beaten up, as most of them have left bruises - including a huge one from the big Cetrotide injection that the nurse did on Friday - so it's getting harder to find a clear spot to do the jab on. I do bruise easily anyway, but I'm going to ask the nurse today when I go for my scan whether there's anything I'm doing wrong.

As for side effects, I'm sooooo tired and grumpy! Also have had loads and loads of EWCM since Thursday or Friday and have a really heavy feeling and occasional cramps in my lower abdomen - oh, and I can't do up my trousers. And all this with only 4 follicles - I can't imagine how these people with 20 or 30 cope! Mind you, I think it's the hormones that are causing the side effects rather than the number of eggs, and as I said, I'm on a total rhinoceros dose.

Given my time again (and let's face it, it's highly likely we will have to go through all this again), the main thing I would have done differently is to have the freezer well stocked before starting. Still, at least it's done now, and I've cooked enough meals to last us about ten days.

Scan later on this morning to see whether I'll be ready for egg collection on Wednesday or Friday - will update when I get back xx
  • Good luck for the scan x
  • Good luck for the scan hun, sounds so good having follicles those size. I really hope you get a lift there as I know a taxi is not ideal at all.
    I really hope you are feeling less bruised and a lot less swollen hun,
    Good luck
    xxxx
  • Thanks KayeCee and Rachie. The scan went well this morning - I have a nice thick lining and all four follies have grown - I now have two over 20mm, a 14mm and a 13mm.

I have to do my trigger injection at 4:45 tomorrow morning, then egg collection is on Wednesday. They'll ring me on Thursday lunchtime to tell me if any have fertilised, then if there's anything to put back, embryo transfer will be on Friday.

I'm excited and terrified.... x
  • AAAH that is exciting... GOOD LUCK!!! Will be thinking of you, they are fantastic sizes image
    Make sure you rest lots sending you lots of lucky vibes to you,
    xxx
  • Oh my goodness! That's all so quick! I'm sure it must feel like a real whirlwind! Great news that today went as planned. I am willing this to work for you xxx

PS I thought early starts were bad enough without throwing an injection into the mix! image
  • Ohh wow I cant beleive how quick it's all going Ldom, hope the egg collection & fertilisation goes well, I will be keeping absolutley everything crossed for you xxx
  • Thanks so much ladies - I really appreciate all your support. (I emailed my family on Friday to tell them what was going on, and I'm quite hurt at the lack of response from some of them, so I'm particularly appreciating any support I get from anyone else at the moment.)

I've just done my last injection of Gonal-F, which is the one that grows your follicles. Not looking forward to having to stab myself again at 4:45 am, but hopefully I'll get back to sleep again for a little while once it's done. xx
  • Hope the trigger shot went well, xxx
  • Thanks WWAF and Rachie - trigger shot went fine, although I was so nervous about sleeping through the alarm that I woke up at 3 and couldn't get back to sleep, so after a busy day at work I'm knackered now xx
  • Wow ldom it's really all moving so quickly isn't it. Glad the trigger shot went ok - can understand why you found it hard to sleep. Wishing you so so much luck for tomorrow - will be thinking of you. Look forward to the update.....
    Hope the bruises are going down a bit hon, sounds pretty nasty. It will all be worth it if you see that lovely line in a few weeks' time sweeite xxxx

ps rubbish about your family - do you think maybe they just don't know what to say or just being in
    insensitive? xx
  • Thanks TBD. I don't know what's up with my family - my parents and one SIL are being incredibly supportive, but I have another brother and his wife who I've always been very close to, and the only acknowledgement my brother (who's a doctor) has ever given to the whole process was this week when he e-mailed me something jokey about Clomid, which he "assumes I'm taking". I had a long chat with my SIL about doing IVF, and the e-mail that I sent last week made it clear that's what we're doing - I don't understand how he could think I'm on Clomid.

Anyway, my bruises are faded, my stomach is bloated and a bit sore, and I'm ready for whatever today throws at me... xx
  • Hi hun

just wanted to wish you good luck for today xxxx
  • That's really strange about your brother LDOM, seems v hurtful, espec as he's a doctor. Maybe being a doc means he just forgets about how it would affect you psychologically and emotionally....maybe it is all too familiar and he has become a bit blase??? I know it must be upsetting, but right now you probably need to just focus on you and your little baby who is hopefully being fertilised as we speak!!! Can't wait for the update sweetie and hope it all went well today xxx