Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions

When in the cycle can treatment begin?

Hello again everyone. Apologies in advance but I have another question!

hubby and I have been for our initial appt and we were told we that IVF was the next step. We have another appt on 26th May. Obviously I'm hoping that everything will get cracking at that appt, but as I'm starting to understand more about treatment it doesn't seem as though its that straight forward! (when is it ever!)

Can you start down regulating at any time in your cycle or do you have to wait until a particular point e.g at the start of a new cycle, just before or just after ov? its probably worth me finding out now and avoid any disappointment if we have to wait to start.

thanks
lb xx

[Modified by: littleb on 17 April 2010 14:06:43 ]

Replies

• Hi,

I did the short protocol and I had to call the clinic on the first day of my cycle to begin treatment.

The first appointment I had at the hospital after being referred for IVF was to talk through exactly how it will all work. Also, lots of forms to fill out.

Good luck x
  • Hiya
    Like the other girls said, your treatment will need to start on a spacific cycle day, depending on protocol. I'm on the long and get my down reg injection on Thursday which is day 21 of my cycle. Are you getting treatment on the NHS or are you going private?
    If it's NHS then you will be placed on the waiting list which varies depending on where you live. We live just outside glasgow and our was 9 months, which I believe is one of the shorter lists around. Also your time on the waiting list is usually backdated to when you where first referred to the hospital for investigation, so by the time they decided it was to be ICSI for us we were at the top of the list. That was back in December and we got really excited when we were told this, but things still move quite slowly on the NHS, once your at the top of the list you need to go in for a few appointments for form filling and blood test etc and due to clinc being full for the previous two month we are just getting around to starting this month. I hope things move faster for you, but I just wanted to share our story as each time there was even a small delay i was getting quite upset as they were unexpected. I think if they had told me of the time scales and the possible delays at the start then I would have handled them better! I had a picture in my head that as soon as we were at the top of the list treatment would start that month. Anyway I think i've told you more than you asked for! lol.
    Wishing you lots of luck!
    xx:\)
  • thanks for all your responses.

We are fortunate enough to have our treatment on the NHS. When we were told we'd need IVF, the consultant said we would be "top of the waiting list" - not sure why, although was obviously very pleased and excited that we might not have to wait too long. I probably have been a little naive to expect treatment to start soon after our next appointment, and danipink, I think your response have given me a much needed reality check- although I'd much rather go into this with realistic expectations about time scales etc than be disappointed by what seems like slow progress - I'm a really impatient person which doesn't help!
    thanks again everyone- having you all hand to run things past makes this much easier!

good luck with whichever babymaking stage you are at
    lb xx