Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

About to start ICSI for first time...

Hi,

Waiting to go through ICSI and feeling a little confused about it all!
Just want to get started but a little anxious of what's ahead of us - there seems to be so many needles, scans and drugs.
Be great to get chatting to anyone else who is going through this or has been through it already. Would love to hear from you!

J
x
:\?

Replies

• Hi JaJo, how you feel is completely hormonal... it is a complete head rush to start off. When do you actually start?
    I am currently in the down reg part of the long part of it, I hopefully start stimms next friday if I am fully suppressed by then. It is my first attempt (and hopefully my last!) so completely understand how nervous you are.
    xxx
  • hiya i have just been through my 2nd round of ivf we didnt have icsi but the protocols are the same, it is all very alarming to start with so much to take in but believe me within a couple of days it all falls into place, the injections are nowhere near as bad as you first think (the hormones can turn you into a raging psycho though ) lol, if you have any questions fell free to ask away, by the way i got a bfp on the 26th jan

yazz x
  • Thanks for getting back to me girls, it's great to hear from you and congratulations Yazz on your wonderful news, you must be delighted!
    I'm not too familiar with the exact order of everything yet as we're still at the stage of filling in forms, but I have to call on the first day of my next period which should be about 18 -20 days from now, then they will bring me in for my first injection on day 21. It's a few weeks off yet, but looks like it'll be Easter time.
    Worried about the hormones as my PMS is bad enough!!
  • Hi, went through IVF with ICSI in 2008 and was lucky to concive first time, I highly reccommend the treatment.
    The thought of all those drugs and needles is really daunting but once you get started it's not so bad, the thought of it is worse than it actually is. The best advice I can offer is not to worry about it all and not think too much about whats happening, just take each day as it comes. Hope this helps x
  • Hi there,
    Thanks! It does help, especially as you have been through it AND been successful!
    I'm actually just sitting here just now telling myself that I just need to take it a day at a time, but of course there's a big dark cloud sitting on the horizon as I wonder if it will actually even work at all. Guess I'm still trying to come to terms with the fact that this looks like our only option - it aint going to happen naturally!
  • Welcome to the ICSI club JaJo. I am due to start my inhaler for down regging next Friday. Waiting for my drugs to be delivered to work today. It does feel like a long waiting game but it will fly by. I thought 2 weeks ago that 3 weeks sounded like a long time to wait ... now I'm thinking oh its only a week to go .... Fingers crossed for us all !! x
  • Feeling confused is perfectly normal! I've had ICSI four times and am now 13 weeks pregnant with twins.

I remember my first cycle and thinking that i would never ever remember the routine with the drugs and injections, etc, etc. However, take one step at a time, talk to your nurses at the clinic and you'll sail through it.

The only symptom I had through all of the stages and cycles was hot flushes during the down reg stage, however, it soon passed. The hardest part is the wait from when the embryos have gone back in as there is nothing you an do, its then a waiting game.

Keep positive, strong and keep a sense of humour through it all. The biggest help to me was the support of my husband, friends, family and the nursing staff at the fertility clinic. i used to actually enjoy going so I could see them and catch up on things.

When you get your positive result, all of the injections, scans, tears and hormone ups and downs will be worth it and become a distant memory.

My biggest piece of advice to anyone going through IVF is to ask your Consultant about progesterone injections rather than pesseraries. On my 3 failed attemps, we weren't offered the injections. On our 4th successful attempt, we did the injections and 'voila'!! it might just be a co-incidence but its one that I was very happy with. They are slightly painful after day 5 - 6 but no where near what they will tell you or what you will read about. Your partner will be able to do them for you and it helped my husband feel involved and part of the process.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions - I wish you all the luck in the world.

x

• p.s. forgot to say, ring round local pharmacies or go on the internet for your drugs. Some of my drugs were nearly 50% cheaper at Manor Farm Pharmacy than they were at my hospital. If you are going private, the hospitals will charge you twice as much! They seem to think we are loaded if we can afford IVF - if only....!!
  • Girls, this is FABULOUS information and very good of you all to write back to me. You are really helping to calm me down and I'm beginning to look forward to it. I guess I just want to get started and it's nice to know that you will be here as we go through this together! I have an amazing husband and family but I think it will be easier to talk to people who actually understand all of this. Did anyone need to take any time off work at all - apart from the collection day? Any special diet/eating tips I should be following?
  • Hi I only took time off for the actual procedure as felt a bit grotty after it esp the day of the egg collection and the day after.
    The only other bit of advice I can offer is if you do overstimulate like I did then my clinic told me to drink lucozade and eat protein as this helps reduce the fluid and it did really help. Hopefully this won't happen to you but if it does then don't be alarmed I only knew I had overtimulated as I felt really bloated and had loads of trapped wind (sorry I know too much info!!) the treatment really isn't that bad and as Bennettnic said the worst part is waiting to see if your pregnant. Best of luck x
  • Hi I only took time off for the actual procedure as felt a bit grotty after it esp the day of the egg collection and the day after.
    The only other bit of advice I can offer is if you do overstimulate like I did then my clinic told me to drink lucozade and eat protein as this helps reduce the fluid and it did really help. Hopefully this won't happen to you but if it does then don't be alarmed I only knew I had overtimulated as I felt really bloated and had loads of trapped wind (sorry I know too much info!!) the treatment really isn't that bad and as Bennettnic said the worst part is waiting to see if your pregnant. Best of luck x
  • Re time off work, I did every possible option i think. Worked all the way through, took 3 weeks off, went part time, etc, but the time it worked, I only took a few hours off work when I'd had the eggs removed. I think you can let it take over your life so i'd probably suggest you try to continue as normal and lead as normal a life as you can. I ate and drank as usual (minus the wine) but I did drink alot more water when down regulating as headaches were quite bad. x
  • Hi,

I had one chance at IVF, I went to a fantastic clinic in Chesthunt.
    Please try not to worry is the first thing, as your so apprehesive about it all, and the longing for a baby is so hard.
    The course I had was the full course, of all drugs and needles, they really are not that bad to administer as long as you have a good pinch of your belly under you belly button it really doesn`t hurt. One of the drugs I think it was the second weeks course does have a slight sting & causes slight bruising to the area with a red apperance which last about half and hour.
    I was aged 40 when the course started and they advised that I may not produce many eggs, well to their astonishment my body produced 32 of which 20 went on to fertilised, apart from just before having them removed which was very uncomfortable to walk around it was all fine. I went to blastcyst stage which was fantastic, had two embroys put back, but unfortunatley I was to laid back and worked to hard straight away as I was pregnant for a week then I lost them, so I only then had one good enough to freeze, which I then was to have put back. At that stage I was not told the chances it was given just to defrost was under 50%, I was so worried, but a miracle happened and it not only defrosted but took and I`m at present 30 weeks. I was told I could not have a second chance on NHS, but was so pleased I was given one chance.
    Bump growing day by day harder to do my usual work of mucking out my horses and gardening & pub job, but it will all be worth it in the end, which is the same for you, go with a positive outlook and try to relax as best as possible. It will be so worth it in the end.

Wishing you all the luck in the world! :\)

J/x
  • Congratulations to you lucky, pregnant ladies - the success stories are very reassuring and you make the needles and drugs sound a little less daunting. Workwise I'm planning to carry on as near to normal as I can (as only a handful of people know about this anyway), but I think some of the scans will be around my holidays at Easter which is quite convenient.
    Bummer about the wine Bennetnic, but it's worth it for twins...fantastic!
    Got a few weeks to go yet before it all starts so off to have a wee Friday night glass just now. Happy weekend everyone!
  • Wingnut - just wanted to wish you all the luck in the world for Monday - hope it goes well and you get lots of eggs. Keep us posted. x
  • Hi jajo

We are about halfway through our first round of IVF. We might convert to ICSI, but it depends on MrD's sample on the big day.

I down regged with buserilin injections from day 21 (3 weeks ago), and after a scan 3 days ago I started stimming yesterday with Gonal-F. The injections have been ok. I second the tip about getting hold of a good pinch of skin on the tummy. I also numbed the area with an ice cube for the first few times, then got lazy and couldn't be bothered! I found the biggest thing to overcome at first was that putting the needle in felt counter intuitive, so it was a question of making myself "just do it"... But it gets easier very quickly. I think it is like using a tampon for the first time, or putting earrings into pierced ears: feels a bit weird, but after the first few times it becomes second nature. Also, after months/years of disappointment TTC, it is great to just get going.

I found it helpful to take notes every hospital appointment, but rest assured that the leaflets they provide also explain the whole process if you forget anything when you get home. I keep a chart of all my meds, scans etc, so I know I won't forget anything (but that could be in part down to a slightly OCD streak!).

Best of luck with it.

Wingnut - best of luck for your EC on Monday.
  • Hi Girls,
    Thanks again for your support - you have no idea how helpful it is (or maybe you do!).
    We have decided to go for it on Monday...day 21! It was meant to be next month but all the paperwork is complete and we were thinking why wait for another month? The waiting we have done over the last few years!
    Looking forward to getting started and I think you are all right, it's best just to get on with it and try to stay positive...taking one step at a time.
    The needles worry me but I might have a chat with my friend who is diabetic and injects several times a day - guess that puts needles into perspective!
    Wingnut - best of luck for Monday, hope it goes well.
    Mrs D - you sound super organised!

J
  • Hi ,

I have just finished my 5th cycle of ICSI and am currently pregnant for the 3rd time having had 2 icsi m/c over the past 2 years, I would recommend icsi every time, the m/c that I had were not caused by the treatment, I had an underlying condition that was eventually diagnosed folllowing my 3rd m/c (one was a natural conception 10 yrs ago) it will all become clear to you as time goes on, I have always had two blastocysts put back but this time the hospital insisted that they would only put one back because I hyperstimulated for the second time (had 40 follicles and produced 27 eggs) which was a dangerous amount to have, needless to say I had little hope of conceiving with just the one embryo but hey presto it worked and I feel much better with this pregnancy that I ever have done..... morale of the story is make sure you have loads of PMA, it's soooo important.

good luck and if you want any advice, i'm here for you xxx
  • Congratulations...proof that it works! Fifth cycle? You must be a real pro at the terminology and procudures.
    Yesterday went well with the injection and apart from feeling awful with a dreaded cold, I feel fine. I'll be DR for about 3 weeks which is longer than I had first anicipated. Hey ho!
    Thanks for getting in touch and glad things have worked out for you!
  • I wouldn't worry about DR for 3 weeks, i've DR for four weeks before!!! the buserelin isn't so bad, it made me a little bit snappy on and off but nothing major, the only thing that I can say I really suffered from every time was headaches but I found that when I started stimming and the buserelin was reduced by half the headaches went practically overnight. In a weird way it's exciting to down reg because it brings you one step closer to stimulating, that's when it really becomes real and you get to see how your follicles are developing. Just relax and enjoy the experience and make sure your OH spoils you rotten xx