Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions

Being advised to wait 3 months now!

Afternoon ladies.

I have just had a call from the clinic and they have told me that they are now recommending that I have 3 AFs before starting a natural FET cycle following us abandoning our last cycle after EC due to OHSS which never happened. This seems totally ridiculous to me. I understand that there needs to be a 3 month gap between full IVF cycles as you are taking more drugs but I won't even be having any drugs this time so why wait?! We were thinking of waiting for a full cycle after my AF comes now but to wait another one as well seems a bit over cautious. What do you guys think? Have you had any experience of this?

Thanks for your help xx

Replies

• Debbie, I have no experience or knowledge of this, but I am gutted for you! Its hard enough to wait one month, never mind 3!!! Who did you speak to at the clinic? If it was a nurse, it would maybe be worth phoning to speak to the consultant so he/she can explain EXACTLY why. They are probably wanting to make sure your in the best position physically and 'inside' for the embryos, but it does seem rather a long time! Medically, it probably is the best way to do it, but you are the patient who is waiting and waiting and waiting, IVF is hard as it is, so they need to take your needs and concerns into consideration too. You have lots of embryo's, so it may be worth gambling, and going sooner with a few of the embies. Talk to them in full and work out the options and chances, then you can make a decision. Oh hun, I wish I could wave a magic wand xxx
  • Debbie, I can understand your frustration, but I guess you have to work with the understanding that your clinic will know what's best for you, for your body to cope with. We are doing a FET and I am having to take all the same medication (except for the injections) with scans, etc. so I should imagine you'd need some medications? Maybe they just believe your body needs more time.
  • Thanks for your replies. Lori the consultant is supposed to call me sometime this week so we'll see if she does. I have thought of some things to ask - mainly is the delay because they think my chances may be affected or because they think I would be at risk of OHSS. Depending on the explanation maybe we can negotiate 2 AFs to wait!

Lougla - I don't think they are planning to use any drugs at all which is why it is all a bit bizarre!!

xx
  • Just to update - I spoke to the consultant today and she told me the reason for the wait was to improve the womb lining and therefore our chances. I still think this is too long but am now in a catch 22, if we do go ahead before this and it does not work out we'll never know if our impatience had anything to do with it so I guess we'll wait.

I am really down and fed up tho, at the earliest we'll be looking at mid november now and the biological clock ticks ever louder (I am obsessed with my age lol!)

Sorry for the rant!
  • Am so gutted for you having to wait, keep positive and take some time out to look at what the clinic advise and see how you feel then?
    Fingers crossed for a speedy embryo transfer and a BFP!
    Rhian x
  • Hi Debbie

Sorry your having to wait but at least it's for the right reasons. The time will fly by.

Any chance you can plan a little holiday or a couple of breaks away. If not plan some really special weekend day trips that your really going to look forward to as this will break up the time for you and give you something else to look forward to.

Hope you keep coming on here as well as us newbies need all the help we can get.

Xx
  • Hi Debbie

Sorry your having to wait but at least it's for the right reasons. The time will fly by.

Any chance you can plan a little holiday or a couple of breaks away. If not plan some really special weekend day trips that your really going to look forward to as this will break up the time for you and give you something else to look forward to.

Hope you keep coming on here as well as us newbies need all the help we can get.

Xx
  • Hi Debbie

Xx
  • Hi Debbie,
    I'm sorry your having to wait. I have been doing the waiting thing too. Start my spray for FET after the 15th September.......it has passed very quickly! Hang in there, it won't seem as long as it sounds xxxx
  • hi Debbie,

Im sorry i cant help you but just wanted to say im sorry you are hitting another obstacle in your journey and hoping the time will pass quickly for you. Hoping for a perfect end result for you xx
  • Awww thanks ladies image
    I have a lot of other things coming up so hoping these will keep me busy and DH is excited about it being game on for trying again naturally in the mean time!!
  • Hi debbie,

Only just seen this and I'm so sorry you are disappointed, I know how frustrating it is : ( After our secod failed IVF that we have just been through my consultant also advised we wait for 3 cycles before having FET. He wants me to have a natural FET cycle too, as in absolutely no drugs at all, just monitor my cycle and place the embryos in during my natural OV stage...and then have the progesterone pessaries for the 2ww...but no injection or sprays or anything else. He said the reason he wants us to wait for 3 cycles is because he wants it to be a totally natural cycle, and so I need to wait to make sure all of the drugs from the last round of IVF are totally out of my system and it is just my own hormones doing all the work. We were so disappointed too as it feels like forever to wait...but I am starting to get used to the idea and realising it must be for the best. I'm also trying to think that we have 2 months of 'natural' ttc, so maybe we will be lucky and it will happen on its own...however small a chance it is at least giving me something to hope for!!!

Anyway, hope you're ok, I know how tough it is but hopefully if we wait for the right time our bodies will do better and give us the wonderful babies we are hoping for : )

Take care of yourself hun.x.
  • Thanks for your message Trixie. How are you doing now?

I am feeling a bit better about the wait now as one AF is already over and done with so only two more to go - I wonder if I'll still be as patient by November!! Here's hoping we both get our miricle BFP in the mean time, then maybe I can spend the grand I have saved on maternity clothes!

xxx

• Trixie - forgot to ask. Did your consultant say what would happen if things did not work out this FET cycle and you still had snow babies left to use? Are you/ we able to do another natural cycle straight away or do we have to wait another 3 months?? Hopefully it will not come to this! xx
  • Hey debbie,

Yea I'm ok thanks. Slowly picking myself up again although still finding that I burst into tears at unexpected moments every now and then...but it's getting less and I am starting to feel a little bit stronger again. Hopefully we can get through these couple of months together and it will go quickly : )

So yes, my consultant said that we would be able to have another natural FET cycle straightaway if the first one doesn't work, because it's natural there is no reason not to. Unfortunately we may not have any snow babies left as we only have 5 and they aren't the best quality so they may have to defrost all of them at the same time in the hopes that at least 1 will make it. Our consultant also said though that if this FET cycle doesn't work we could also go straight into a fresh IVF attempt the month after...again because the FET cycle will be natural it means we would be fine to go into IVF straight after. Really hoping that we either get pregnant ourselves beforehand or that the first FET cycle works though so that we don't have to think about any of that!!! : )

.x.
  • Glad to hear you are a bit better - have you got any ideas what your likely dates will be for your FET? If my cycles continue to stay regular (here's hoping) then I think we will be about the second week of Nov. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself looking so far ahead.....

It is interesting what your consultant said - I hoped as much although obviously hope that neither of us get to this stage!! x