Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions

really bad sa results - in shock :(

hi ladies,

We have been trying for about 9 months/UPSI for 15 and went to get our sa results this am.

They were really bad from what i can see though the gp is not an expert. He said our best hope would be ivf.

The results were less than 1 million, 2 % motlity (slow sluggish), 2% morphology.

Does anyone have any advice to offer/experiences to share. I would really appreciate it as this morning has been a shock and we are both very emotional/ feel failures and are worried we will never have a family.

Thank you xxx

PS we have our 1st gynae appoint this pm and im hoping we will get referred for ivf straight away as the results are so bad but not sure. I had tubes/womb checked last year when i had a cystectomy.

Replies

• I don't have any advice as our issues lie with me. I had a blocked tube that had to be removed. I expect that if you have had cysts aand along with your hubby you should be referred for ivf straight away.

I hope all goes ok this afternoon. Keep popping on here as the girls really are helpful even if we are a bit slow to respond sometimes.
  • I don't know about the figures, but I know my DH's SA was fairly bad and we were also told IVF. We have had one attempt (it didn't work, but they did say that his SA was much better by that stage). He cut down on alcohol, took more vitamins.

Also, without being personal, how often are you having sex? Too often can be as detrimental as too little apparently ....
  • Hi Samsa

Sorry to hear that the SA has not come back as hoped. In our case the problems are due to the male factor and my DH's morphology has ranged from 0-5% and his motility was also below 'normal'.

The one thing I have learned if that these results can change from test to test and I suspect your clinic today will say to wait a couple of months and retest. In our case my DH gave up all booze and took vits inc selanium and zinc and generally cleaned up his act. It is worth a go.

You may well be referred straight for IVF and ICSI if these results are consistent after the next test but ICSI may well be able to help you. Don't give up yet.

Lots of ladies on here have similar stories so have a look through some of the previous posts. Let us know how you get on this afternoon.

Debbie xx
  • hi girls,

Thank you so much for your messages.

Lougla we have been having sex every other day leading up to ov, ev day over ov and then we tend to have a big break with not much bding as we have exhausted ourselves. Obv now i know we have a problem i need to be doing it less over ov - what would you recommend? Do you think not doing it much/at all after ov can also be damaging to his sa?

Debbie, the consultant said the results were so low, it is unlikeley we can do anyhting to dramatically change them. We will try of course but luckilt we have been referred straight for ivf with ics.

I'll apologise now for copying and pasting from the other post...

We are still in shock and have a few good cries. I guess its normal to feel like this as you never imagine you will be making a baby this way. DH has said he can leave me if i want so i can have a baby with someone else- of course i am trying to make him see that i married him and its him i want a family with. I think this is all normal?

The good news is we are being referred for ivf with icsi and the consultant said the current waiting list is about 4 months in my area and we also get 3 free goes which is great. We have to get hiv, hep bloods and i have to get fsh bloods and he said that would take about 2 months (not sure why so long) and that takes us to about 6 months which is much better than i thought. I am so glad he referred us straight rather than messing about with more tests. He said there wasnt an awful lot we could do to change the sa as it was so bad.

So now its just a waiting game.Im hoping the time will go quickly and ill make sure we keep trying at the right times in the meantime. We may even end up with twins which would be a challenge but also a blessing!

Is there anything i can do ladies in the next 6 months to get my body ready for ivf to give it the best chance? Any books you recommend? xxx
  • Hi Samsa

I'm glad your consultant is not messing around and has referred you for further treatment straight away. In our area the waiting list is 3 years for one go so you are lucky to live where you do. I am sympathetic for your DH, mine also felt very guilty and said much the same things. I think it comes as a real shock for the guys when it is the male factor but with ICSI hopefully anything is possible.

In terms of getting your body ready for IVF you should both just try and be as healthy and relaxed as possible. We both gave up the booze and upped our fruit and veg intake. I'm sure the other ladies would recomend the zita west cd/book and also things like acupuncture.

Good luck x
  • Thanks Debbie,

we have already upped our fruit and veg and water intake - hubbie eats quite badly normally but he has been so good the past few days - just hoping he keeps it up. Hes already promised to not drink much which he doesnt really anyway - but weve talked about xmas and a stag he has to go to where he will have to limit. he has also been taking a conception mulitvit every day which he was really bad at doing before.
    Wow - 3 years and one go. I live in hertfordshire and know im really lucky to have 3 gos. The waiting list seems quick but the consultant said we would have to wait longer than that at other clinics - we are getting referred to one in london which seems to have a shorter waiting list. Im hoping the timescales are right.

Where are you in terms of treatment/waiting lists?

The other thing i am worrying about is what if his sperm gets worse? If there is 0% morphology surely we wont be able to go ahead with treatment? Im hoping that the changes we are making can only improve things though.

Thanks for your help debbie! x
  • Hi Samsa

We decided to pay privately as we do not have much time to waste as I am already 33.

We also worried about DH's sperm getting worse. In fact on retesting despite really trying to be as healthy as possible his morphology went down to zero!! At this point we were referred for ICSI so the consultant obviously thought we had a chance even with zero% I think this was just a blip though as the test after it went up to 5% so as I say you never can tell. He is convinced that his healthy lifestyle has helped his latest result and we got an excellent fertilisation rate (so far) with our first round of ICSI.

Good luck x
  • Hi Samsa

We decided to pay privately as we do not have much time to waste as I am already 33.

We also worried about DH's sperm getting worse. In fact on retesting despite really trying to be as healthy as possible his morphology went down to zero!! At this point we were referred for ICSI so the consultant obviously thought we had a chance even with zero% I think this was just a blip though as the test after it went up to 5% so as I say you never can tell. He is convinced that his healthy lifestyle has helped his latest result and we got an excellent fertilisation rate (so far) with our first round of ICSI.

Good luck x
  • Hi Samsa

Good luck x
  • Hi Samsa

I wanted to post as my OH had very similar results to yours on both our first SAs (in fact it went down even further on the second one to 0%!). He cut out fizzy pop, caffeine, drank LOADS of water and took wellman conception vits. He also ate brazil nuts every couple of days. We were referred to a fertility clinic (I have issues too) and he had to do two more tests there for our IUI and both had jumped up well within the normal range-in fact they were really happy with his levels,. I dont know whether it was the vits or the nurse did actually tell us that at the NHS labs sometimes they leave the samples out for longer than they should before testing them due to work load so can get lower results...Anyway, point is- I know it's a blow (I felt gutted and so did OH) but I genuinely believe that you can make things better with the lifestlye/vits changes and it only takes one as well!

Good luck

Mrs O

xx
  • hi maddy,

thanks for you reply, its good to hear of these stories - it gives me hope!

Just cant wait to get started on ivf now - i hate this waiting around, but hoping for a little miracle in the meantime.

Good luck in your journey xx