Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

artifical insemination?

have just posted this in trying to conceive but realised it should be here!

My husband has recently been diagnosed with cancer. Now I know this isn't the most important aspect him staying alive is but fertility has certainly been an issue. Doctors are confident he will make a full recovery but he will have to have cheamotherapy and we have been told that this affects a mans fertility so he will have to bank sperm.

Therefore we will have to use artificial insemination for our next baby wich we were hoping to plan (naturally, before all this) soon. I don't know the first thing about it and don't want to make too much of an issue while he is going through bigger problems so though I would ask here, Has anyone here been through it? Is it harder to get pregnant? can you do it at home or does it have to be done at hospital?

My husband is desperate for more babies and trying a cycle before he has treatment may even be something he wants to try if it would be better.

Thanks

Replies

• Hi Looby,

All the best for your husbands chemo.

Just wanted to say we had to have ICSI (IVF but a sperm is injected direct into each of my eggs left a couple of days before implanting back into me) On the day hubby had no sperm in 2 samples but fortunately he'd had some frozen a month before and after thawing some out 8 out of 10 of my eggs fertilised and we got a positive pregnancy test after having 2 embryo's implanted image Still very early days but amazing to have got this far.

I do know that IVF has a higher success rate than Intrauterine.

I guess it depends on the numbers/quality of sperm your hubby provides.

Good luck

xxxxx

• Aw wow congratulations, pleased to hear you got pregnant. I'd not even thought about IVF, I had just kinda assumed as it will be okay at the time its frozen they will just insert it. Im totally clueless but learning!

• Aw wow congratulations, pleased to hear you got pregnant. I'd not even thought about IVF, I had just kinda assumed as it will be okay at the time its frozen they will just insert it. Im totally clueless but learning!