Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Seen our cons and.....

....I'm even more confused!!!

Hubbie has now had 3 SA which have shown varying degrees of low and high counts, pretty bad motility, not great morphology, severe agglutination (clumping of the sperm). One of the SA showed antisperm antibodies (which means his body kills his own sperm), but that does not appear to be a problem in the other two samples. We have been told by two different cons who performed the SA's that we will need ICSI.

Now our cons says that it is not impossible to conceive naturally with hubbie's SA results, although it may not be as easy as it is for others. However, he thinks that me being so stressed out is the main thing preventing us from conceiving. He said we can keep trying and he seems very reassuring that we WILL conceive eventually or we can go for a 'quick fix' and have IVF (ICSI).............sounds simple if it weren't for the ??4-5k a go! In the end he seemed to be recommending IVF as I was saying I didn't know how much longer I oould go on with the disappointment each month.

It is a bit of a dilemma really.......on the one hand I'm really positive about what he said, and am pleased we COULD conceive naturally............on the other I don't know if I could cope if we keep trying like this for years.........but should we put oursleves through the financial, physical and emotional costs of IVF if we don't absolutely have to????

Hubbie and I had a calm chat about it last night and we're thinking we will plan to start IVF around Dec or Jan probably. We are both secretly hoping it wwill happen naturally in the meantime, but it gives me something to focus on, and means we have a good chance of conceiving one way or another. The clinics around us have around a 50-60% success rate, which is pretty good odds, although some we'd have to travel further to than others. So I am now going to get started on researching clinics etc. Hubbie is also on loads of vits, trying to stop smoking, eat more healthily, less caffeine etc in the hope that his sperm will improve enough for IVF rather than ICSI.

So all in all I am feeling much calmer and more positive at the moment.....

Can anyone give any advise on timescales for starting IVF, and when you're actually doing the IVF how long it takes from starting injections to having egg transfer? Also, anyone got any advice on how to choose a clinic and what questions to ask when looking around? xx

Replies

• Hi TBD

Sounds like you and your husband have this sussed and I would have decided the same in your shoes.

Just to give you a starting point re IVF, we have just had ICSI and in our experience, there are 2 (maybe more) protocols- I had three attempts, as never got to egg collection stage, due to incorrect dosage (not NHS fault- I have PCOS making it a difficult call for the docs).

The long protocol took about 3 or four weeks of drugs- really quite painless injections. I can't tell you much about is, as it was back in March and I have done two further cycles since then!!!!

The latest one, was 1 week on Puregon injections (like the diabetic pen) to stimulate the ovaries, followed by about 5 days on both Puregon and Orgalutron injections, to dampen down the response- not sure if everyone has this or if it was to stop me overstimulating, due to PCOS.

Basically, after starting treatment on 11th Sep, we had egg collection on 23rd Sep and the embryo transfer on 25th. From 10th Sep, I had internal scans every couple of days- again, poss due to the PCOS condition.

Re chosing a hospital, we were referred by the doctor at our local surgery, to the local hospital, as it was a free NHS cycle.

Not sure if that's any use, please shout up if anything more specific to be answered!!!

Good luck and all the very best- hopefully, you might have something happen prior to Christmas- what a great present ;->

Emma x
  • Hey Emma, thanks for your lovely words and advise. That's really really helpful to hear about the timescales. Do you know what affects the decision to put you on the long vs. the short protocol? The short one sounds preferable to me, but obviously not if it is less successful or something....

Can I ask how much of an impact it has had on you working and how painful the process has been?

Sorry, another question (if you don't mind), where abouts in your cycle did you start the injections?

Thanks so much for your help hon, I really appreciate it. I think I replied on your other thread, but really hope this cycle works out for you. Sounds like you've had a really tough time of it so you deserve a bit of luck I'd say! Looking forward to your BFP post xx

[Modified by: tinybabydancer on September 27, 2009 07:20 PM]

[Modified by: emmawilkins81 on September 28, 2009 11:13 AM]

• Hey emma, was just looking at your reply and there's nothing there! Not sure if you meant to do that or not? Hope all is well with you xx
  • Right - hopefully third time lucky for this reply to go through!!

Re the affect on work, I have always tried to book apts as early as possible, to create minimum impact at the office. When the cycles started, as my working hours are 9-5, I was home in time for my half five injections, so no problems there.

My manager has been really good about the whole thing and work have a policy re IVF, entitling a person to 2 weeks for treatment. I am currently taking a week of it to relax after the embryo transfer.

Re the protocol, I think the short one was developed at Leeds Reproductive Hosp, just as we were abandoning the long one- not sure what protocols exist or how it is decided which you are put on. The one I did involved one week on Puregon (like the diabetic pen) starting from the 2nd day of my last period and then both Puregon and Orgalutron for about 5 days, then we were in for the procedures. Started 11th September, went for EC 23rd September and transfer was 25th September and we get the result 7th Oct.

Re pain, the injections were not painful- if anything, they served to mark a milestone each day and made me feel that I was being proactive in getting to the finishing line!

Egg collection took about 30 mins and was painful towards the end of the procedure, but I think that was because I wasn't given quite enough pethadine, however, they give you a supository before you leave theatre and this kicks in within about 15 mins and more pain releif is avaiable in recovery. I was ready to leave (after the tea and toast) within about an hour. There was about 5 days of discomfort after that, but it's eased off now.

Embryo transfer took about 10 mins and was not painful. It involved a kind of smear procedure, but with the discomfort of a full bladder, as they use an ultrasound to guide the cathetar to the right place. After that, you get off the bed and walk to the recovery room, where you just get dressed and are on your way! The nice thing about the transfer was seeing the embryos before they were transferred- I saw that as a priviledge that most other people would never experience.

I would say that because I am borderline PCOS, I think I was seen for more scans than usual, as they have to make sure Hyperstimulation doesn't occur. That was looking likely on the first round, which was why it was abandoned.

My suggestion (if you do go for IVF) would be to tell a few key people what you are going to do- this will provide a support network for when you need to speak with someone other than your husband and also, those people will be more understanding if you suffer bouts of moodiness!!!

Also, never more so does the phrase "one day at a time" come into play. You will not know how you are going to feel emotionally, from one day to the next and when you are a bit down, you must remember that the following day prob wont be as bad!

Please feel free to shout up if there's anything else (or I can give you my phone number if you would like to chat), but I have my fingers crossed that it wont come to IVF for you....;-)

Emma xx
  • Oh Emma, thank you so so much for taking the time to answer all my questions hon. I really do appreciate it. It's so nice to have someone who has actually been through the experience to talk to about it. I may well be back with more questions.....! I have been phoning around clinics this morning and there seems to be quite a bit of variation in how the process works and how long it takes. It's all food for thought. I too really pray it doesn't come to IVF, but deep down I know it probably will as we've been TTC for over a year now and have alwaysd timed BD pretty well and NOTHING has happened so far. But you never know. Thanks for the advice about telling a few key people, we are still really unsure about telling people at the moment but we may well get to the point where we have to. Is Leeds Hosp where you are having yours done then hon? Cheers again and sorry it took 3 attempts (blimmin BE!) xx
  • You're very welcome!

I suppose when you are phoning the clinics, you will be bombarded with info that you can't really relate to at the mo, so I bet it could be a bit confusing :-/

I think we were at the point were we had to tell people, becasue when you have been married a couple of years, people just ask & I was reluctant to start a webs of fibs!!!! That said though, I think you would be right to hang on until nearer decision time and then see what you think.

We were treatet at the "satelite unit" at Bradford Royal Infirmary, however, they are limited as to what they can do, so the egg collection and embryo transfer were carried out at Leeds, where they have more facilities. I cannot thank the NHS enough- whether this works or not, they have been superb and had our best interests in mind.

All the best xx
  • Emma, thanks again my dear for your reply. I can see what you mean about having to tell people. We have constantly been getting these sorts of questions since (literally) the day we got married. It really upsets me pretending that I'm not in a hurry and coming across as though I'm not bothered, when really there is nothing I would want more in the world. It's heartbreaking. But I want to think carefully about telling people, as there's no going back once you have and I can definitely see some possible down-sides of people knowing (mainly if it doesn't work out I guess, and added pressure). Really pleased you have had such a good experience with the NHS, I work for the NHS and its not something we hear every day!!! Still have everything crossed for you hon xx

MrsA, thank you so so much for your detailed reply. I really appreciate you taking the time to talk me through things. That's interesting that Zita West referred you to the Lister - we are actually considering there ourselves (as well as two closer to home). As we don't live in London I'm a bit concerned about how difficult it will be with extra travelling (will porbably take around 2 hrs on train/tube to get there)... what do you reckon? Did you consider any other clinics and if so how did they compare? (sorry for more questions!)

It's amazing that in just over a month you had got your BFP! (congrats by the way! - have you had your baby now?). I think I would have to tell one person at work because she would definitely be concerned for me if I kept taking time out and I know I will probably be very emotional, but great to hear it IS possible to do it around work. I like the idea of hubbie doing injections for me as I'm a big wimp! Interesting what you say about telling people - that's exactly why I don't want to tell people - I don't want people asking me about it all the time (even though I know it would just be because they care) or the added pressure, plus having to tell them if it doesn't work. I had also always dreamed of having our little secret for the first 12 weeks, and don't want to miss out on that after everythng else we have already missed out on.

Thanks again to both of you, you have been a HUGE help. I just want to get going with it now!!! xxx
  • Thanks MrsA, that's kind of my feeling on it too. So hard when the one near us has half the success rate thogh! I think the one that is an hours drive with a middle-ground success rate is probably the best option. So tempted by the Lister though after what you've said....
    How many times would you say you had to go to the clinic MrsA in total?
    Ahh that's so cool you have your baby now....must make it all so so worth it. Exciting that you'll be trying again soon. The FET is a little less intense isn't it? xx
  • He he MrsA, obviously moving is the answer....just what we need right now to help us relax and take our minds off TTC!!!

Thanks for the info on how many appts you had.

Forgot to say in last post, I can't imagine how I would get through all this without the support from these forums. The ladies on here have been fab xx