Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Knock knock, please can I join you?

Hello Ladies,

Some of you may remember me from LTTTC, I recognise some of your names at least, which is nice. I took a break from BE a few months ago, but am tentatively coming back and would like to join you in this forum, if I may, as we are sadly now having to follow the IVF route.

All the endless blood tests, scans, HSG and, lap & dye are all over. It was initially thought that I had a blocked tube, but I've now been declared all clear down there! Hubby has slight issues with sperm concentration and morphology, but nothing major. So we are officially "unexplained", which is unbelievably frustrating.

We have the option of choosing IUI or jumping straight to IVF, and I just don't know what to do! We were keen to try IUI first (in the absence of any major problems on both our parts). Our consultant supports this, but reading between the lines I think he is of the opinion that we should go straight to IVF due to the higher success rates (hubby and I both in our mid 30's and trying unsuccessfully for 2 years so don't have a lot of time to hang around).

It is so hard a decision to make! But I know that only we can make it so we have a lot of thinking to do. How do you make a decision like that?!

Anyway, I look forward to chatting more with you all and c atching up on your stories.

x

Replies

• Hi Angelfish

Welcome back to the forum.

In the nicest way, hope you aren't here too long.

V xx
  • Hi Angelfish

Welcome back!
    Has your consultant explained the pros and cons of both. I have never been given the choice but my nephew was conceived on a first cycle of IUI - having said that they have recently been trying through IUI for a second and it has not been as straightforward. It's all down to luck at the end of the day so you should just try whatever you think you will be most comfortable with and can afford. It seems that IUI is sometimes tried first and then people move onto IVF is unsuccessful but I fully take on board what you say about age. Each cycle of IVF takes a while, not sure about IUI.

Good luck with whichever you choose xx