Forum home› Getting pregnant› IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Just been referred - what next?

Today my GP agreed to refer me to our local assisted fertility unit. I am 26, had treatment for cervical cancer last year which, although was successful (hurrah!), has left me with a problem called cervical stenosis (partial or total closure of the cervix) which can make it very difficult to concieve naturally.

My appointment is for a month today, so pretty quick. I feel stupid now though because I didn't ask what I was being referred for, although I guess that i'll have to go through all sorts of preliminary tests and things before I get offered any type of treatment - whether it be IUI or IVF or whatever.

One question I have is about waiting times, my clinic has a waiting time of 12 months for IVF - is that 12 months from my first app.

Also, does anyone have any advice/ experiences that might help get me through the next few months. I feel quite raw still from the cancer (although try to maintain a sunny disposition wherever poss!) and am starting to feel desparate about our situation.

Sarah xx

Replies

• Hi Sarah,

Sorry to hear you've had cervical cancer but that's fantastic you've been given the all clear.

You're going to be bombarded with so much information you'll be an expert by the end!!

You are young so you have plenty of time on your side and success rates for fertility treatment for women under 30 are greater than for us older birds!!

Do you have regular cycles since your cancer treatment? If you do chances are you are ovulating but you can get ovulation predictor tests to confirm. Mind you if you've got an appointment next month they'll probably arrange to check various hormone levels FSH, LH and usually progesterone.

Our clinic also wanted myself and DH to be tested for Hep B, Hep C and HIV. I also had to be checked for rubella (which I wasn't immune for and had to have another vaccination)

Hopefully you're OH will be having a semen analysis done? This can determine if IUI, IVF or ICSI (sperm injected direct into egg) is your best option. Unless you're going down the donor sperm route? I'm just presuming your OH is male!

Have you checked the success rates for your clinic compared to others in the region? I think if you go to the Human embryo fertilsation association web site (something like that!) you can check your clinics success rates.

Sounds like the sperm just need a helping hand to get there so you will be a mummy image

I would say the success rate for IUI is not as high as IVF (but less of a faff!) and for IVF it can take 3 or 4 attempts as the clinic doesn't know how your body would react with the IVF drugs.I'd presume you'd have to wait a year after your first appointment before starting treatment.

I'd also write a nice list of questions to ask at your appointment and you'll probably find they'll cover them all by the end!

Good luck for next month.

Alison xx (31+1 after ICSI)

PS I learnt so much from Care fertility bulletin board (www.carefertiltity.com)
  • Hello Alison,

I am so very sorry that I didn't respond earlier. Was keeping off BE for a while for the sake of my sanity. Thank you so much for your advise, I have now had my first fertility appointment and are having the tests you described. I will have to wait until the 22nd June for the results and for my husband's SA.

Thanks again,

Sarah xx
  • Hi Sarah,

DH and I had our first appointment in June '09 and we're now top of the list for funding so we've waited about a year. We're just waiting for the call to say we've got the go-ahead now. Very tense and nervous, but excited. We're having IUI first so we'll see how it goes. Has 20% chance of success so trying to stay optimistic but realistic, and the hosp where we're having it has good success rates so fingers crossed.

Hope all goes well for you.

Cat x