Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions

Terrible News - Devastated

Hi everyone

I've also posted this in LTTTC. We had hubby's SA results back yesterday and there were no sperm detected. We are both devastated. Expected it to be bad news and perhaps be very low, but not for them to say there was none there. We spent most of yesterday in a tear-induced daze not knowing what to do. I don't think I've ever read any posts from people who have been in this exact situation, but thought I'd ask if anyone has any words of advice. We have decided to go private as well to try and speed things along (not that we can afford it) and are in London so wondered if anyone had any tips on particularly good clinics to go to. We have been looking into the Bridge centre and Lister clinic. Does anyone have any experiences of these two?

Any words of advice would be really appreciated

Thanks so much

xx

Replies

• Thanks for your message MrsAmanda it is very sweet of you and thanks for letting me know about your experiences with the Lister. Its good to know they have been positive. I think we will probably go with them. Its so hard to know where to go and what to do. I'm sure it will feel a bit better when we are on some kind of process and have appointments booked in. At least then we might know a bit more.

It was such a horrible shock yesterday. Hubby is young (30), fit and healthy and has had no problems or indications that there might even be a problem. I had assumed if we did have a problem it would be with me.

x

• Hon i've sent you a long msg on the other thread,

Thinking of you

Gem x
  • just wishing you luck be positive xxx
  • Dear Ginger I am so sorry
    I think sometimes they repeat the test to amke sure the results were right. My husbands count is low but there are still some there for ICSI. I cant imagine how you feel. I know they can perform surgical sperm retrieval so I am not sure whether that would help in this case?

http://guide.hfea.gov.uk/guide/

This helps to compare clinics on the tabs it shows the sucess rates for various procedures
    XX
  • Hi Ginger,

Have just found out we're in the same position as you and your husband and I can relate to the tears and numbness.
    Hubby's being referred to a urologist privately(they didn't ask for a second SA) as for male infertility you can't be referred under the NHS??
    Was just wondering whether you'd had your blood tests done before your husband's SA and referral?

Sending you big hugs and every success for the future
    xxx

• Hi Mrs Pootle

I've just posted a response on LTTTC as well, sorry didn't see this until now.

I'm so sorry to hear you're in a similar situation, but I can def relate to how you're feeling. Our GP wrote a referral letter for hubby that day but only after we phoned the surgery and asked. I'm not sure where in the country you are based but we're in London and are going to the Lister hospital. They seem to be good so far, but hubby's first appt isn't until next week.

Meanwhile I have been having my tests done on the NHS. I've had my 21 day bloods although it was 25 day bloods for me as I ovulate later in my cycle and on Monday I had a scan on my tummy and also an internal scan. Hoping to make an appt with my GP next week to get the results.

Does anyone know how you get going on applying for NHS IVF? Is this something I can ask my GP or do we just apply directly. Its all so confusing isn't it? We can get hubby's testing done private because we have private healthcare, but it will only cover testing and diagnosis, no treatment.

Mrs Pootle - Thanks for your hugs - I'm sending some right back over to you. I found it did help knowing other people were in a similar position.

Ginger
  • sorry for gatecrashing but it came up on front page and just wanted to say this.

A friend had the same and they went private first of all for ivf with a donor sperm which sadly failed they did this whilst they were on the NHS IVF waiting list and they got there funding and fell pg first attempt, and in Jan she gave birth to a healthy baby boy which looks so much like the non biological father. they have got embroys stored so that if they decide to try again the babies will be full siblings. It did take her and her dh a while to get there heads around the fact he cld never be a biological father but seeing him with there son definatly brings to mind that whilst one act is all it takes to be a father, its a lifetime of little acts and total love is what it takes to be a dad. There is no doubting that he is that little boys dad.

Good luck on your journey

xxDBxx
  • I find the whole NHS/private IVF confusing!

The GP is referring hubby to a urologist privately surely it would make sense to refer us as a couple to a fertility clinic??

Good luck Ginger with all your tests and appointments.

You've both cheered me up with your replies

xxx
  • Hi,

I don't want to sound like a know-it-all but the urologist my be able to treat and fix your husband so you don't have to go to a fertility clinic. If the urologist can't help, you may get refered then.

When we first went to the GP we said that we had been trying to get pregnant for a year. He sent us for tests at the local hospital which revealed a low sperm count. After that we were sent for more thorough tests at the local infertility clinic. From there we were refered to a different hospital for IVF. We had to have a consultation with a doctor there but then we were put straight on the waiting list. Everything started about 5 months later.

I don't know if the procedure is different in different areas of the country. We're in Yorkshire.

Good luck for everything,

xx
  • Hi Beckles,

All opinions and advice greatly appreciated. Don't hold back! I think I posted a bit more of an update on LTTC thread (PMA needed for hubby)

That's the dilemma we're in.... Do we spend time and thousands of pounds reversing the vasectomy,testing 3 months later to find it hasn't worked then spend thousands of pounds going via ICSI route? Our GP says the NHS doesn't cover male infertility so it would have to be private. I'm not convinced he's right?? If there's a problem on my side then we can look at treatment under the NHS!!!

Looking into it the success rate is higher for the vasectomy reversal than ICSI and as long as I'm ovulating I don't have to go through harvesting/hormones/egg retrieval etc (that sounds so selfish of me, sorry)

What I'm worried about is if there was a break down of the blood/testes barrier during the vasectomy so any sperm now produced is being destroyed by hubby's antibodies he's created. No idea if they can test for that, I guess that's what the Urologist would explain....

In the mean time we can get a second SA done and hopefully get hold of hubby's SA before and 6 weeks after vasectomy from abroad and ask his urologist who did the vasectomy his advice of which way to proceed. We can't understand how 6 weeks after vasectomy everything was ok for SA just a bit low on numbers to a year and a half later and just dead sperm.......

Have you started your IVF treatment and do you mind if I ask if was an NHS or private referral?

xxxx

• Hi,

Don't worry, you don't sound selfish at all. Egg collection is not the nicest thing in the world!!

I don't know about NHS funding procedures but I do know that it changes depending on things like age etc.

If I were you, I would go for the reversal. Assuming it works, you could have as many babies as you like, whenever you like, without having to ask permission first. That would be wonderful. I think it would be lovely to create life in private through love rather than through uncomfortable prods and pokes in a room full of strangers.

My IVF treatment started last year and is NHS referral. We were told that we would get 2 cycles on the NHS and after that we would have to pay ourselves. I had the egg collection done in January and had a BFP only to miscarry at 6 weeks. Am currently 7 days in to 2nd 2ww for a frozen cycle. We had 3 embryos in storage and only 2 survives defrosting. They transferred them both.

Whatever advice you get and whatever you decide to do, I hope that you will have the best possible outcome.
    Please let me know how it goes,

Beckles xx
  • Hi again!
    Blimey, it's all happening for you, really hoping everything goes to plan for you both image
    I was in agreement with you to try the reversal but if hubby's producing antibodies to his own sperm it won't work. Still trying to find out how they test for them.... Also the infections and pain DH had before op sounds horrendous (elaphant size testes and weeing pus) He's had no sypmtoms since the op.
    We're (still) waiting for hubby's urologist abroad to email his opinion and previous SA results
    I've also emailed the fertility clinic on Wimpole st asking for current prices/waiting times and if our GP needs to refer us. Again not heard anything!
    So twiddly thumbs at the moment!
    I'm late!!

xxxx
  • Hi Ginger and Mrs P,

Hope you don't mind me gatecrashing, but I wanted to offer you a little hope. Our friend's have the same problem (as in his tubes naturally don't all connect) so he has to have surgical sperm retrival. He says it hurts like hell afterwards, but it's well worth it. They went down the IVF route and I'm now a very proud godmother to 5 and a half year old triplets. They're also ttc #2 this year.

Good luck ladies, I can only imagine what a rollercoaster of emotions you're on.

Oh and they choose to be treated a clinic in Birmingham (not sure which) despite living in Hertford.

Sam xxx
  • Hi Samiana,
    Been away for the weekend so only just had time to reply.
    Blimey triplets and going back for more!!!!
    Still not heard from previous urologist (they got the email and he is replying....) Heard nothing back from Wimpole st (not impressed)
    Funny enough someone from work recommended the Midlands fertility clinic and wondered if that was the one your friends went to.....
    xxx
  • hi me & hubby have been trying for a baby for more than 2 years a month ago i found out that i have a blocked left tube .the consultant recommend my hubby do a sperm test of which we r awaiting results.they also recommend we do ICSI/IVF to increase our chances of having children.can anyone give us some advice neither of us have any kids and we are married 2 yrs now