Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

has anyone had this test done??

hello, i received a letter from the clinic today, they are giving me a Hysterosalpingogram test. Has anyone had this done, is it painful, is there anything i need to know before i get it done.

thank you

Replies

• Hi
    I have not had this test done and I hadn't even heard of it before you mentioned it so being nosy I googled it and found a really useful website that should answer all your questions its www.radiology.org and if you click and the procedures A to Z tab and then on H you can find out about it there, from what I've read it appears to be a type of xray and not painful at all. Hope this helps and hope you didn't mind me having a look?!
    Rhian x
  • Hello

This is known commonly as the HSG test and it tests to see if your tubes are clear. I had it done a couple of months ago. It is a bit uncomfortable but the biggest pain is when it can be done. In my hospital it had to be done in the first 10 days of the cycle but you could not be bleeding and the clinic only ran on a Tuesday!! Took 3 months for them to have a slot and for me to be on the the right day!

Good luck x
  • thank you both for advice,
    Rhian, i didn't mind you having a look, thank you for doing that. I will have a look at that website. xx
  • Hi there,
    Its not painful just like a bit of period pain for less than a minute. In my hospital I could see what they were doing on a tv screen They replayed it once I was dressed & talked me through what was happening.
    Its very interesting. Don't be worried, it will be ok. x
  • thank you Wooly, you made me feel a bit better about having this test. Cant wait until i get it done, as then i might be able to start treatment.