Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Anyone been refused a homebirth (also in homebirths)

http://lbdf.lilypie.com/4K3Wp1.png

I have 2 children already (15 and 6) and will be 42 when this one comes along. When I went to see GP last week she said she didn't think I would be allowed to have a home birth...
I wondered if anyone had been through this? To be fair I haven't seen a midwife yet so it may not be an issue in the end but I'm already stressing!
OK I'm older and apparently that makes me more at risk of complications...
The more children you have apparently the higher the risk of complications...
But I'm thinking I've had two perfectly normal pregnancies and births, the last one was at home (I was 35 so still not a spring chicken in medical terms) and the thought of having to go to hospital, my other children not being allowed to be part of it and not being at home is upsetting me already!
My last birth was so fab with our first there (she was 8) and able to come and go as she liked then she cut the cord!

Replies

• They can only advise what they think you have the final say and they should supoprt you in your decision.

I wanted my 3rd pregnancy at home but my mw said in these words @your too fat to have a home birth and if you choose a home birth I will not give you any pain relief and you will have to do it by yourself'

I think was diagnosed with SPD and she then refused me a home birth on these grounds. Not happy I done some online research and found many articles saying that I was entitled to make my own decision. There are some grounds on when you cant have a hombirth like a vbac as this may still end in a c section.

This is my 4th pregnancy, the mw I saw at my booking in appointment was really nice and said there wouldnt be any problem with a home birth althou they might say its best to go for a hopsital birth but seeing as I had 3 normal births she couldnt see a porblem and referred me on to the home birth team. My new mw said that they would have to advise me that they rcommended that I do not have a home birth cause I have a high bmi but it was my decision and they would still support me if I choose my homebirth!

So at 14 wks I am still heading for my home birth. If I feel nearer the time that this is not an option for me then I will change my mind but at this moment in time it is the best option for me...

Ask why you have been refused a homebirth and dont be frightened to ask for a second opinion, if they still refused and cant give a valid reason then take it further, I know people in their 40's who have had homebirths!!

If you are still refused then go and find some online advice and I am sure there are plenty of ladies here who would be able to help image x