Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Explanation for premature birth??

I was wondering if anyone had a diagnosis for going into labour early. When I was in labour with Kenny at 33 weeks I asked why this was happening and was told that sometimes these things happen and that was that. The hospital didnt offer any possible causes at all. Iv read about reasons for early birth and there are lots of them.

Replies

• Hi,
    I dont know why they happen either, but I have been told I am to expect the arrival of mine at approx 34 - 36 weeks due to the small size of me and the growning size of the baby. He's growing at the normal rate Im only 5ft3,
  • Im also petite, 5ft 3 and usually size 8 but iv got friends who are about the same size and have carried full term. One friend who has 3 kids looked at me one day about 2 weeks before I had kenny and said i was never going to go full term. My mum also said I was carrying very low and gave a worrying look. Could also just have been that Kenny didnt want to miss out on Christmas!! LOL

Good luck dottie I hope your LO stays in to be fuly cooked.
  • I was very small and petite too. I was a size 8 and was carrying very low down. My mums neighbour saw me on Friday and then on Saturday again and she couldn't believe the amount I dropped on the Saturday. I didn't see any difference as I didn't think anything . I went into labour that Saturday night. I didn't know any of this until after the birth when she said to my mum about what she noticed although throughout my labour I did feel as if my bump was very low compared to other people.

In the hospital I also asked why this would have happened and I got the same answer that these things happen especially as I went myself and had no infection or high blood pressure. One midwife did look at my size the next day and said I couldn't have pictured you carrying a baby full time as you are so small in figure. I believe that Kara was just very nosey and wanted out to see around her. Nosey like her Mum lol.

The day I went into labour I took my car for MOT and also dyed my hair. Little did I know that I would be in labour that night as I wasn't due for another 5 1/2 weeks. At least my hair was dyed. She was born on the Sunday and I already had my hair appointment for Wednesday made before the birth. I still went and got my hair cut. No one could believe that I had Kara 4 days previous.

So after all that I don't think there is any signs of going into early labour. If its going to happen its going to happen.
  • I wonder about this too - I was given no reason at all but I am going to make an appointment and go back to my hospitals reflections service - where you can go and have an appointment with a midwife who will get all your notes out and you can ask them anything you are not sure about why it happened etc and see if they can give me a reason - I want more kids and think I will worry throughout other pregnacies that the same thing might happen.

It is also slightly hereditary so if you were born early or you mum had other early births that can influence it and your partners side too but neither me or my hubbie have early births on either side so that doesn't answer it!
  • Hi craftycharlie, how is little Max doing.
  • Hi all I am so glad all your lil ones are doing well.

I went into labour at 33 weeks with my youngest and had to have the labour stopped and she held on for another 3 weeks and was born at 36 weeks. I was given no reason to why i went in so early and I found this very frustrating.

I am now 15+1 weeks and I am under consultant care this time round for that reason and I am meeting my consultant on wednesday. I am hoping he can maybe give me some advice on if I will go in early again.

I am very scared about what he may say as they do say once you have had one prem birth you are at higher risk of another yet it isnt always certain and you could go to term if not overdue!

I thought I would post this and shall let you all know how I get on on Wednesday as hoepfully it may answer some of your questions too.

Hope this helps

xx
  • Oh dear I'm just browsing and you lot have got me thinking now. Me and my oh aren't big (I'm 5"5 and he's about 5"9) but my bump is huge and very low. I have had comments from people who think I'm ready to have him image Both sides - my oh's and my family - have had pre-eclampsia and my oh's mum had a premature baby at 29 weeks due to it. My blood pressure has a tendency of going high as well - doesnt sound good does it lol. At the beginning I was constantly worrying that this baby wasnt going to go full-term, now I'm passed the 24 weeks I'm a bit less scared but even so...

If it helps you lot, as I said my oh's mum had a premature birth (she is now 23!) and was told not to have any more children because of it, she had 2 more kids since, one was overdue, one on time.

Hope all your los are doing well image) xxx
  • I had my baby at 36 weeks exactly. My waters went at 35+5 and I too was offered no explaination as to why this happened. I am 5ft 4, but don't think it was to do with my build as I put on 4 1/2 stone (!) during pregnancy. I was carrying low for last few weeks of my pregnancy and everyone said they didn't think I was going to go full term. Little did I know I'd barely get to 36 weeks.

We are going to try for another baby later this year and I too am scared I will go into labour prematurely, as I was told they had no explaination as to why it happened this time. They did tll me that I would be classed as high risk, should I have another pregnancy though.

I will be starting my maternity early next time though, as my waters went the day before I was due to finish work. Luckily I was working from home at the time, so I was spared the humiliation of them going all over the office floor ;0)

Sam
  • hi my waters went at 35+2 and i had him at 35+6 i had incredibly bad back and leg pain through out my pregnancy and my dc told me it was probably my bodies way of rejecting the baby because it just couldn't cope with the pain any more. lovely.
    i was also told because i had one prem baby i had a 90% chance of my next on being prem too.
  • Hi all,
    We've just posted a new feature about the reasons for premature birth HERE: http://www.babyexpert.com/Pregnancy/What-causes-premature-birth^/v1
    You may find it of interest.
    Web Ed Nicola
  • i had my daughter at 36+2wks and weighed 5lb 4.5oz and am trying for baby no 2 im very worried about having another prem baby as i had trouble getting my daughter to breastfeed as they said she was a very sleepy baby but no 1 told me why i had her early or if it will happen again but i dont want it 2 stop me trying for another baby so ive been taking sanatogen pronatal for 2 months as i got told this may help
  • I too would be interested to know. My ndaughter was born last sunday at 36 weeks. My hospitals bags were only 1/2 packed. i wasnt prepared for an early birth as all my siblings and my husbands siblings wer born late so the chances of ours (we thought ) being early was very small!

hubby said it might be because i hadnt done enough pelvic floor excercises. Im interested to know whether having sex regularly makes a difference....we had it weekly and my waters broke immediately after a session...little did i know my daughter was going to be born 14 hrs later!

I have just read the article which webed posted link to.....I am interested to know if anybody else doesnt really fit into any of the catergories suggested. For me I only fit into the possibility of Cervical incompetence and maybe life style factrs as i was on my feet and constantly busy at work.

I will be monitored more closely next time and have been recommended to have a home birth. She was bron at 36 weeks and my labour was only 1.5hrs and this is my first! xxx
  • Hi, I had my first baby, Leah at 33 weeks, she weighed 4lb13oz and was in special care, they just said to me 'just one of those things' too, when i got pregnant with Maisy they told me it was doubtful she would be early and was under consultant care but she came at 36 weeks, they said this time that some women can be prone to early babies. I'm now carrying baby number 3 (mad arent i?) and am under consultant care. I'm not petite, i'm 5`7. I dont think the size of the mother is relevant, just depends on whether our babies want to see us abit sooner. Maybe the whole 'every pregnancy is 40 weeks' thing should be looked at as no 2 are the same anyway.
  • i had my first baby at 32 +5 weeks, dd weighed a good 4lb 11oz. when i asked mw if there was any reason fro the early labour she said 'if we knew what caused them there wouldnt be any babies born early unless there was a medical reason' so i was told that it was just one of those things too.

• Well I've just had my baby at 30+4!! I'm 5`7 and a size 12/14 pre-pregnancy. So I don't think the mother's build is necessarily a factor. I'd love to understand why our baby was so early... I had a great pregnancy with no issues at all until my waters unexpectedly started to leak on Thursday...
  • Congratulations on the birth of your baby. Is it a girl or boy?

Its a scary time having a premmie baby and we are here if you need to ask questions as you will be wondering whats going on.

Kenny was born at 33+1 and now a healthy and thriving 1 year old.
    xx
  • hmmm all these early babies and not one of you know why?? the hospitals should to more to find out shouldnt they?? Cervical incompetence is the usual but thats a very early baby and mostly too early to survive (sometimes as early as 16 weeks) infection and illness in mother is another one.
    My 5th came early at 35 weeks. This was due to severe bleeding with placenta previa. I started having contractions immed with no warning just 2 mins apart. Once you bleed with placent previa you either bleed to death or deliver the baby quickly!!!! Luckily I got to hosp and Amelia was delivered by section. she was a bit shaky at the start but is not a beautiful almost 10 month old. My other 4 kids were all 3 days early, 3 weeks early (due to induction though), one due date and 3 days over due!!!!!

I really think more tests, swabs etc should b done as if you want another its important to know why surely!!!?? good luck all those TTC the next one and hope this one is in for longer!

d xxx