Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anyone have PROM?

Anyone have premature rupture of membranes? At how many weeks? My friend is 28 weeks and her waters went and they said if she doesnt have an infection after 48hrs she can go home. Is that normal?

Replies

• Options
    Sorry, im not sure. When I was in labour the midwife had to break my waters.

I hope your friend is ok and the baby waits at least a few weeks before coming along.
  • Options
    Yes this is normal! I had my waters break at 34+2 and they did swobs to check if I had an infection and said if labour hadn't started in 24 hours they would prescribe anti biotics and send me home and monitor me once a week and keep me goign until 37 weeks and then induce.

My labour started within the 24hours so it didn't happen but yes it's normal!
  • Options
    My friends baby didnt want to wait and was born last night. Mum and baby doing well.
  • Options
    oh good so glad to hear that Nicospoon - hope it all goes well for them - wonder if anyone actually ahngs on once they have ruptured???
  • Options
    hi. my waters broke at 35 weeks with my 4th baby. they kept me in for a few days did tests but sent me home. i went into labour at 38+1 and had a baby girl. but when she was born she had to have nasal swabs as my waters had broken earlier, but they all come back ok.xxxx
  • Options
    Hi all,
    i had possible prom at 19wks i went into hospital as i felt a slow trickle of water one afternoon.when i got examied the doctor said i was leaking water from membrane and that i would go into labour within the next 24-48hrs and being only 19wks pregnant the baby would have no hope. i had to stay in hospital over the week end and be monitered i was also put on antibiotics and had to do a pad chart so they could see how much water i was actually loosing. They gave me 2 scans on the ward to check the fluid around the baby and checked the hertbeat. i was given another scan on the tuesday to check how much fluid i still had, by this time the water flow had stopped and i was loosing nothing my mind was still everywhere as i just didnt no what was going to happen. At the scan they said the fluid around the baby was fine and baby was growing well. I had another scan a week later and everything seemed to be fine then to so my fingers are crossed that im one of the lucky ones that have either had two bags or i had a slight tear in the bag that has mamaged to seal or to much water. im now 23wks and am taking things easy well as easy as i can with a 3yr old to keep me busy lol. im seeing my midwife when im 28wks so i will see what she has to say about the situation then. if any one else has been throu the same sort of thing it would be great to chat. Thanks
    Kat :\)
  • Options
    Hi Kat, congratulations on your pregnancy.

I dont have any experience of this. I hope the rest of your pregnancy is uneventful.

Good luck
    xxxxx
  • Options
    Hi Denise,

im hoping that the rest of pregnancy will be fine im doing well at the moment!! things have managed to go smoothly since i had all that trouble so fingers crossed!!

I found out what i was having at my 20 wk scan and its a Girl i'm really pleased as my first was a boy so what more could i ask for, one of each is just the way we wanted it. How many do you have?.

Thanks for the reply
    kat x:\)
  • Options
    Hi, I had this was 34+1 was admitted to hospital and they wouldnt let me leave until he was born. They decided to induce me on sat 34+6, i had 18 hours of labour but didnt dilate at all and he was delivered by emergency ceasearen on sunday at 35 weeks and we came home yesterday when he was 35+5 as he had been having troubles feeding and we found out he had a tongue tie which had to be cut and now hes much better. I think the reason they kept me in tho was because my waters had been slowly leaking for about a week before i was admitted (silly me i wasnt sure if it was normal discharge or not image ) so i think thats why they kept me in til he was born because of the high risk of infection.