Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Afraid no 2 will arrive early as wel...

I need some advice. image

With my first pregnancy I lost my waters at 33+5 weeks and had to stay in hospital till they induced me at 34+4 weeks. They did not want to make me go any longer. I had a scan the day before induction because I was already messuring big and they were surprised to find an above average amount of fluids left. Consultants were afraid for infections and did not let me leave till baby was there. I had irregular contractions, even though I did not know they were contractions. I was already 2-3 cm dialated by the time I got induced andMichael was born 7 hours later, a healthy 7lbs1 and did not need any assistance in breathing and was initially rushed of the SCBU, but came back quite quick afterwards because they did not need him there. Further to that I had no problems with my pregnancy, I had a urine infection at about 33 weeks and had antibiotics for it.

I am now pregnant with number 2 (quite early on though, only 5+2) and I keep thinking about Michaels birth. I am afraid it will end the same way as my last pregnancy. I never heard why I went into labour early or anything. I know Michael was healthy and only was jaundiced for a couple days. (but quite badly and they were contemplating for transfusion rather than photo therapy)

Anyone went through the same thing? I have not spoken to the doctor or midwife and will mention my fears, but I was just wondering if other people got other appointments or anything after having a premature baby? Or will they say that Michael was healthy and they will not give anymore appointments? Is there anything I can do? Is there a chance this one will be early? Or do I have the same chance as everyone else? Anyone else lost there waters but only had irregular contractions and had to be induced due to risks?

Replies

• Congratulations on your pregnancy!
    There is usually an increased chance of another early baby, but many mums go on to have full term babies. I think it really sounds like you stand a good chance and hopefully your waters will stay in tact.
    Good luck hun
    Maria x
  • Congratulations xxx

Michael was a good weight when he was born, full term weight, what a big boy.

Kenny was born at 33+1 after spotaneous labour and like you my contractions stopped and started which lasted 2 days although my waters had to be broken. He was 4lb 4oz when he was born and is a perfectly healthy nearly 2 year old. He didnt need any oxygen, I had 2 steroid shots to mature his lungs during labour.

There was no explanation why he came early 'just one of those things' i was told.

Good luck and I hope you have a nice long and uneventfull pregnancy.
    xxx
  • wow 7lb.

dd was born at 32+5 weighing 4lb 11oz. she didnt need any help at all at birth and her apgar score was 9 at birth. she was only in hospital for 19 days. i had the first dose of steroids but 10 mins later i was pushing so didnt get the second dose.

i too had a spontaneous labour waters went then 1 hour later labour started and after 3 hours of labour 2 of which i was pushing little baby made an appearance. again there was no explanation of why i went earlyn just as denise said 'just one of those things'

good luck

• Hi

My first was born 6 weeks early so I was naturally worried the second time round. However my lo hung off and was a few days shy of his due date.

From memory I think there is a 15-20% chance that you can go early again if there was no reason for you going early the first time.

I would speak to the Doctor or midwife about your fears then they can present you with all the correct facts and reassure you

Good Luck
  • Hi

My first was born 6 weeks early so I was naturally worried the second time round. However my lo hung off and was a few days shy of his due date.

From memory I think there is a 15-20% chance that you can go early again if there was no reason for you going early the first time.

I would speak to the Doctor or midwife about your fears then they can present you with all the correct facts and reassure you

Good Luck
  • My first son was born at 29 wks and was in special care for 6 wks and came home on oxygen so when i found out i was pregnant last year i feared the worst and thought i would have a prem baby again,but i am pleased to say that my 2nd gorgeous son was born one day off my due date a healthy 6lbs 4ozs!
    I was monitiored very closely all the way through the pregnancy and if you have any concerns i would talk to your mw,dr or consultant if you are under consultant care.Good luck with your pregnancy.x
  • i was leaking waters at 35wks and when i went to the hospital i was 3-4cm dialated and when they popped my waters 8 1/2 hours later daniel popped out,like you they never gave me a reason why he was so early and he was just under 7lb,now my second pregnancy i knew i was gonna be early and i was high risk cos i was having twins but my waters went at 31wks and they were both over 4lb they stayed in scbu for 5wks,i would deffo speak to your mw and see what she says

sarah