Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

PLEASE HELP!! PREMATURE BABY!!

i am now 23+6 and on bed rest at home trying to get to 28 weeks, when i will be admited to FREEMANS hospital in newcastle where my baby boy will be born because of my heart problems, Mitral valve stenosis, my valve has deteriorated in the past couple of weeks and to get to 28 weeks would be great. has anybody else had babies between 28 and 32 weeks .or a similar exprience ?? please write back with any info imageimage

Thanks

Replies

• Thank you so much for your reply and great news about your two lovely children. I am sitting in bed trying to tell myself that Im doing the best I can for my little boy but its so boring and worrying.At first I had the choice of my local hospital or the R.V.I in Newcastle then the choice was taken away and it had to be the R.V.I. now its been changed again and I have to go to Freemans because of my heart { I will most likely need surgery straight after delivery} I have to prepare myself both for a premature baby by C section and open heart surgery. Sorry to rant on but I do feel a little better now after hearing your story and I will be glued to my sons incubator as soon as I can. Thanks again xxxx
  • oooh ((hugs))
    It must be a worrying time for you.
    I will keep my fingers crossed that you get to 28 weeks.
    I have had 4 prem babies. My daughter Elise was born at 28+3 weeks and only spent 24 hours on a ventilator. she did very well and came home after 7 weeks. She is a lively 22 month old now.
    My daughter isobelle was born on the 7th oct and she was also a 28 weeker. She didnt have to be ventilated at all and was doing really well. she had to have a blood transfusion due to aneamia and has had two infections, but is now in a hot cot on HDU.
    the important thing is that you are given steroids for the babys lungs as this will make a big difference with his/her breathing after birth.
    both my two daughters and my youngest son were born by c section and so I can understand how anxious you might be feeling. I found the doctors and nurses reassuring this time and they explained everything that was happening.
    The road through NICU can be a bit like being on a roller coaster but the parents on here are lovely and very supportive.
    Good luck hun and keep in touch as we will love to hear how things are going.

Maria x
  • sorry forgot to say check out the BLISS website as there is a lot of information and support there too
  • will keep in touch, thankyou so much and hope that isobelle comes through fine image.. thanks again for all your info, xx
  • Hi there

I had my lo prem (34 weeks) at the RVI 23 months ago!!! image it was spontaneous rupture of membrames and birth - I was in the middle of a Christmas play rehersal! So it was a total shock to the system! My lo was in SCBU for a week and we were both in hospital for 10 days. He was born at 5lb6oz and lost 2lbs in 2 days!!! image It is hard and will be emotional but they will do the best for you and your lo - even if youa re not fit and well to get to SCBU yourself INSIST they wheel you there and ask the SCBU nurses all your questions - they are there for you as well as lo and it is better to ask things than stew over them.

I really wish you and your lo the very best and I am sure they will take great care of you at the general! It must be boring sitting at home but you are doing the best for your lo so stick to it!

Do keep in touch!! image
  • Sorry just realised the Freeman's doesn't have maternity or SCBU so will your baby be immediately transferred to the RVI? How soon will you be able to transfer too?
  • my twins were born at 31wks and they were both over 4lb and they spent 5wks in scbu,they were in a incubator for 3wks and tube feed for i think 2wks then went on to bottle,i expressed while there were in hospital,then they were moved to a cot for 2wks while they were happy with them,i agree with babamomma22,i also felt cheated out of those 5wks and every time another baby went home before mine it was heartbreaking and i just wanted to shout "why not me" the time in hospital did go very quick for me as i had nearly a 2 year old son,so i was always very busy back and forth and looking after him,the staff in scbu were fab! there coming up to 11 months now and you would not belive the size of them and there both very happy and contented babies,good luck

sarah