Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

has anyones section scar split?

i was doing so well getting about until i woke up last night with it split open, i am now having to have it packed and dressed and its causeing me a lot of discomfort and putting a lot of pressure on hubby to look after LO,

has anyones elses split and how long did it take you to get back to normal, hubby is due to go back to work next week and i am dreading it

becca and jacob
(11 days old)

Replies

• Hello hun, my scar split 2 weeks after my lil man was born in 2007 he was born june 3rd and it took till the end of august to totally close up, my smelt really bad and was ouzing and itchy at the same time as being painful so they put me on antibiotics incase there was an infection~
    even though it didnt heal totally until the end of august which ment 3 trips weekly to the nurse to check and redress it, i stopped noticing pain and it stopped ouzing way before which is where you have to be really careful because you can forget about it and try and do to much which could lead to reopening!
    hope it heal for you very soon hun as i know its rather scary!!xx
  • You have my full sympathy!

Mine's re-opened, I don't think it was ever closed!! I was readmitted when Lo was 5 days old, it took 14 weeks to heal. I'm certain yours won't take as long - I was just really unlucky.

Try to keep it dry and don't worry about letting hubby help, you've had majory surgery and need time to heal, 11 days is not a long time. (I'm still milking it 8 months on....!!) The 'packing' will get less painfull, I was known to my nurses as a 'toe curler' when they did mine but after a week or so it wasn't half as bad.

Congatulations on your little boy!xx
  • Hi My scar split 6 days after I had Alex (he was an Em C section not planned C Section), had to have it cleaned out in hospital with a giant Cottonbud type thing thort my husband was gonna pass out as he was watching the messy end & saw it being cleaned!!

They didn't pack mine just used caltostat (think that's how u spell it) along the wound (but it can be used for packing).

The midwives were originally changing my dressing's everyday for me, then I had a district nurse come & change it instead.

Mine was itchy & smelly & took about approx a month or more to heal!!

Trying for another baby at the mo & would like to have a VBAC but was wondering if it would be better to have a planned C section would this reduce the risk of the scar splitting?

Congrats on your Baby boy xx
  • thanx ladies

the outer skin has closed together but i have beem told to be careful as internally it may not be healed as quickly,

alexs mam

i have also thought about next baby ( i know very early!) and would like to try for VBAC although i think i would rather a planned section than emergency, but i suppose you can never guess what will happen x

good luck x
  • Hey ladies just wanted to add im 31 weeks preg with my next bundle of joy and am going to try for vbac!
    my consaltant said they wouldnt leave me labouring anymore than 8 hours unless baby was close to coming out and that they day i go into labour will be the same day baby comes out this time which has put my mind at ease as i really didnt want all the drama of an emergency section again atleast this way i know i can try natural but also could have a section within a few hours if things arent running smoothly!!

i can always keep you ladies up to date with how i got on if you would like??

take care xx
  • thats would be great mummytobrandydandy

do you automatically see a consultant if you have had a emergency section last time?
  • Well as soon as ive popped i will update you on how it all goes image cant wait!!

I guess you automatically see a consaltant because i did at around 28 weeks to discuss the birth you want vbac or planned c-section etc, i also have an extra scan at 36 weeks to check the presentation of baby because im trying for vbac they are checking baby is in the right position to hopefully come out with out an problems!!xx
  • cool thankyou

good luck, hope it all goes to plan x
  • I think you will see a consultant, I was told I would and that I'd never be induced again - I had a propess pessary an apparently an induction would increase the risk of rupture, something to do with the speed it can bring labour on, but reading on here, the policies may be different up and down the country. Also, I'm to be offered sweeps from 37 weeks if I wanted to go for VBAC, which at the moment I think I would love to give to ago, when/if we do fall with number 2.

Good lucky mummy2brandydandy, let us know how oyu get on.xx

• hi u will be under consultant care for every future pregnancy after having a c section, whether it emergency or elective. i had an em c section i march, and am about to ttc no2, but i'm petrified that 1, my scra will spit either during in pregnancy or labour, and 2, that i'll have the same awful induced labour i had last time, but i don't want to rule out induction altogether as i wld love a vbac. my understanding is that u can be induced for a vbac, but it will be pessary only, they don't like using the syntocin (evil!) for vbac as its is more intense and increases the risk of scar rupture, but i think thuis depends on ur consultant, as one lady on here was told they wld only do it with syntocin as its more easily controlled, so who knows what thats about?
    xx
  • i wonder how early they would do a elective section if i was to go for that, i laboured at 38+6, so i am guessing my chances of another early baby is quite high?
  • they won't normally do one before 37 weeks, as anything before that is classed as prem, so usually an elective is done between 37 and 38 weeks i thnk xx
  • Yea not sure wot to do weather to ask about planned C section or try for VBAC but suppose will have to cross that bridge when I come to it as am not pregnant yet!

But it has been good to see not the only one that his has happened too as I haven't been able to really talk about this to anyone before, & at the time I was really frightened & for quite some time I said I would neva have any more children as I didn't want to go through that again.

So thanks ladies for talking about this & Mummy to Brandy Dandy please let us know how it all went Good luck!! xxx
  • hey im new on here and wonderin if u could give some advice..... i had my lil girl 3 yrs ago on the 12 feb and am now 14 weeks preg my daughter was delivered by emegancy c-sec and im scared that this time round im gonna go thriugh the same. my last labour and delivery was awful after the birth my scar re opened and took 2 months 2 heal and altho i have a while 2 go im still very nervous x x x
  • shanny, i think by what i have read that you can request a section, i too had an awful time and although i would like to experience a normal deliver i cant help thinking i would rather have a controlled section than an emergency one

stuckinlimbo, congrats on your new arrival, hope your well x