Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Has anyone been refused a VBAC?

This is my worst nightmare at the moment! I am in the very early stages of my second pregnancy. DS was born by em section at 41+6 due to failure to progress combined with maternal fatigue, this was 13 months ago.

To be honest, I was so out of it, I signed the consent form without really asking any questions and was just glad the end was in sight after a very long induction process and generally stressful last 4 weeks of pregnancy.

So, back to my topic! Does anyone know the reasons a VBAC would be refused? I would really like to try for one this time and I'm terrified that the consultatnt i see will tell me I must have another section (my recovery was not smooth the last time, and the thought of being re-admitted again and leaving two babies at home actually makes my eyes fill up!)

Also, has anyone had a homebirth after section? I'm not set on this, but the hospital I delivered ds in caused a lot of the post-natal problems I had.

Thank you!xx

Replies

• I had a c-sect first time around to be honest I think they seemed pleased that I said I wanted a vbac.I suppose it depends on why you had the c-section the first time around as each labour can be so different.But from what have heard they are more likely to refuse a 2nd c-section request then a request for vbac.Try not to worry and wait till you can discuss it with your midwife and consultant.
  • I had an emergency section due to pre-eclampsia in May '06. When I fell pregnant with my daughter 5 months later I had to fight, argue and shout to get my VBAC. Not one consultant in the hospital would back a natural birth 13 months after a section. I am now expecting another baby and going through the same fight.

A lot of hospitals will (and should) support you, so discuss all the aspects with your midwife and consultant. The most important thing is to decide what you want and stick to it. No-one can refuse to allow you a VBAC, nor can they force you to have a section
  • Since your LO is already a year old and it was for failed induction the last time they should be happy with a vbac but def not a home birth. This is because of the risk of scar rupture during labour. I had an emergency section 26 months ago and will hopefully have a vbac next month! If not it will be a planned section post dates (they wont induce me).
  • u can have a homebirth vbac, but only if u use an independent mw, well technically my mw said they acn't refuse me a homebirth because if i simply refuse to go to hospital they have a duty of care to the baby so they need to come out to u, although they won't be very happy doing it, and it won't be a booked homebirth, and its not recommended by the nhs to have a vbac at home. they will be fine doing a vbac in a hospital tho (i'm afraid birth centre is also out, if u go there they'll just transfer u immediately to the hospita via ambulance), and most consultants/hospitals will prefer u to have a vbac than a c section as a sucessful vbac is much better (recovery/financially) for all concerned. i'm 14+6 with no2 and ds is 15months (so roughly same age gap as u) and ds was born at 40+6 via em c section due to failure to failed induction and foetal distress, and the mw says there shouldn't be any reason why i won't be allowed to try for this, but there is the slight possibilty that as my bmi is v high this time (39.5) and i had pre e last time, the consultant may say that i'm not a good candidate and recommened a planned c section, but thats not to say they won't let me try vbac. hth xx