Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Good Experiences with c sections?

Have been reading thru...am I the only one with a positive caesarean experience? I really feel for what some of you have gone through but I just wanted to put a brighter spin on things and say to pregnant women who might be browsing that a section is not always bad. I had a c section after getting to 7cm dilated due to failure to progress. I had not dilated at all in 5 hours and it had taken me 40 hours to get to that. My LO was big, in posterior position and had never engaged in the pelvis. It wasnt a genuine emergency as his heart rate never changed and he was fine. Had my section at 3.30am and I had a spinal so couldnt feel anything despite being terrified I would. Apart from feeling sick after the section, I was walking around fine 4-5 hours afterwards...as soon as anesthetic wore off anyway. I was 99% normal straight away and 100% normal a week afterwards, a slight pulling and pain in the scar site but nothing co codamol didnt solve. I don't feel like I missed out on a natural birth at all in fact I'm guessing with the posterior position and size of my lo, a natural birth might have been far worse as prob would have resulted in forceps and painful tears. I think we women set ourselves up for an all natural birth without epidural or intervention and are disappointed when it doesnt work out - but why should we be? With a c section the baby is still delivered - we still have our babies!!! Isnt that the most important thing? My mum only ever had c sections and felt very guilty but I'm determined never to feel like that.

Good things about c sections!

1- Downstairs is still intact - havent done the deed yet but it'll be great to feel like a virgin again! haha!
2 - Those who had an elective, you knew your los birthday, could plan and didnt have to go overdue!
3- The scar is very low and there's no way you could see it in a bikini
4- LO comes out all nice and cute looking rather than purple and squished
5 - Have an excuse to be lazy and have people drive u around!

Don't get me wrong - I don't agree with women having them for no medical reason and I would have preferred a natural birth myself as I hated the long stay in hospital but I just thought I'd focus on the good rather than the bad for a change image xxxxxx

Replies

• Options
    My experience of my babies birth was traumatic but the actual c-section was fine and I recovered well. I was able to be awake even tho it was an emergency since I had already had an epidural during labour. I had a failed induction and my baby was distressed and pooing inside me. Although it was very sore and hard to mvoe around for the first few days it wasn't as bad as I first thought and I am too glad that my downstairs is intact and my scar is lovely and neat!
  • Options
    Thank you ladies. Would you opt for an elective section then next time?
  • Options
    I will have to have one if im late again as I cant have induction.I think thats probably very likely! Would be happier about it second time round and wouldnt have any reservations about it.
  • Options
    I've been told I will need a 36 week growth scan to make an assessment of babies size and if it's a big baby again then I'll have an elective section.
    I am in no way thinking of no. 2 (in fact my OH forbids it!) but I would prefer a section. My labour was so long and slow.
  • Options
    i had a really good experience. I had an elective section due to SPD and I was really nervous about the epidural (thats just cause im a nurse and know too much about them!!!) but apart from that all went really well and I remember seeing Ellie's bum and back before hubby got her and cut her cord. he had alot fo hands on in the first hour that she was born then once I was in recovery I gave her her first breast feed and it was lovely being able to hold her and us both wrapped up warm in a bed together. I was sitting in a chair after 3 hours and walking fine and in the shower the next day. My SPD was more or less gone and i left the crutches at the hospital. I will more than likely have another section as I still suffer with SPD but in a real mild form now so it is going to return with the next pregnancy. image
  • Options
    i want a c section cos of my spd...
    but my consultant won't let me.
    i think i live in the wrong area - i am doomed !!!!
  • Options
    Bunty1975 if you push you can get one. I was told by a physio that there is something called maternal rights and if you want a section then you can have one!!! If you are seeing a physio then get them to right a letter letting them know how bad things are, mine assessed me and tried to get me in different positions for delivery but I couldn't manage any so she wrote to my consultant advising a section was necessary and luckily he agreed.
  • Options
    Ellie's birth was traumatic & the caesarean was too but even though it was an emergency (her heart rate dropped) & i'd had no pain relief before i was still able to be awake & see her delivered.
    I walked about 6 hours later & the mw couldn't believe how quickly i'd bounced back due to how ill i'd been before!!
    anyway although i didnt have a great experience & for a ood few weeks it felt as though she wasn't really my baby she's here safely & we're both ok & that's all that matters. The medical staff were b
    fabulous & did everything they could for us & i'll always be grateful for that so I do think it's just a case of accepting what happened & what didn't & moving on to enjoy our babies! xox
  • Options
    I had a good exsperience with my section...my dd was breech so i had no choice but the whole thing went really well..it only took me 4 weeks and i was back to normal...x
  • Options
    After 2 vaginal births the idea of a section scared the hell out of me. I had problems in my pregnancy and suffered from Polyhydramnios(too much fluid) then it was discovered a week before due date that baby had stopped growing at a bout 35/36 weeks and should have been induced then. Anyway at 39+3 my waters broke and hell there was loads but like my previous 2 I didnt go into labour. Due to the fluid they were a little unsure how to induce as they couldnt put me on the drip as there was too much of a risk for a cord prolapse. They were going to leave me in hospital and induce at 39+5 but the day before that babies heart rate kep dipping so the rushed me to delivery and induced me with the gel. I had actually been telling the and they had seen for themselves on the moniter that I had been contracting for over 2 weeks yet nothing had happened so I really didnt think it would then. Anyway the contractions got more intense but still I wouldnt budge from 2cm which I had been 2 weeks previous! Then babies heartrate and mine were racing and with each contraction his dipped quite badly. He also hadnt moved for 3 days! They scanned me and strong heartbeat just no movement as much as they prodded etc!
    I was then prepped for a section and my son George was born at 39+5 at 1.10am he was blue had the cord round his nec and had been tugging on it as he was holding it so tight like a comfort! My placenta had basically failed as I was so big due to the fluid my body was registering as really overdue.
    Anyway I was awake for the section and was very calm considering, was definately a weird experience and was just happy my lil boy was safe. I was walking next day and shocked with how you cant really see the wound. It definately has its pros but cons too. I had to be cut when I had my vaginal birth and I have liked being able to go to the toilet without it stinging! I have also like being able to sit down, as after the vaginal births I was a always a little uncomfrtable.

I would say even though we have said this is the last If we were to have another I would probably go for an elective next time.

Sorry for the ramble its the first time I got to talk about the experience.

Laura and George 10 days!