Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

how many days overdue do they leave you for VBAC

Hi,
Im not overdue yet im 39+2 days, but im just wondering if any of you know how long do they leave you even though you have had previous c-section. im due on monday and have a consultant appointment on tues , does anybody know what will happen at this appointment. i really hope she comes before im due as im paniking about being induced again.

[Modified by: delbenny on 11 August 2010 10:30:14 ]

Replies

• Options
    I could be completely wrong as I have only had one c-section but I thought that you couldn't go overdue or be induced? I thought it was a case of you had to go into spontaneous labour before / on DD? Not sure how that works with having your cons appt after your dd though.

• Options
    i 'think'

they will let you go as long as you want, most hospitals will only induce with the pessarys for VBAC as the drip can cause reupture, so you can be induced and depending on the reason you had your section last time will depend on the route they would sugest if you dont go naturally,

the consultant appt will be to discuss your options, if you still want a vbac and how they can help, if you are at a hospital that doesnt induce VBAC ladies then you might be offered a section date or alteritively a date for induction x
  • Options
    Hi,

I asked a similar question when I was trying for my VBAC. My consultant was adamant that he didn't want let ladies who had a previous section go overdue at all. On my last appointment with him he booked me in for a pessary induction on my due date! I wasn't happy with this and after much reading i found out that each hospital/consultant's policy differs. Some hospitals don't offer inductions for VBACs at all and some will allow the woman to go overdue. As luck would have it my waters broke 10 days early so I had a the VBAC that I wanted. If i hadn't gone early I think I would have challenged my consultant about not being 'allowed' to go past my due date.

Like I said, each consultant is different so have a good chat with him/her about your choices.

Good luck.xx
  • Options
    i cant wait for tues to come quick enough , just so i know wots going to happen, i just want her here now!! with my 2 boys i didnt have to wait this long lol
  • Options
    Keep us updated, best of luck for Tuesday!x
  • Options
    good luck x
  • Options
    well had my consultant appointment today 40+1 weeks, she gave me a sweep , and said if this doesnt work their leaving me the 12 days till the 28th to be induced and i did tell her my concerns about being induced from previous birth,
  • Options
    Hi im 20+3 and had an emer c-sec 5 years ago and have my consultant app at 33 weeks to talk about v-bac but i dont want to go over my dd as i went 9 days over with my son but not sure where i stand with induction either, would love to know what happens please come back and update for us good luck xxx
  • Options
    the only induction method for a VBAC is a sweep, others are too dangerous (although can still be done at patients own risk), the chance of scar rupture vastly increases though from 1 in 200 to 1 in 50, so doubt they will offer induction. i booked in for a section just incase i did go further than i had done previously, i booked that at 34 wks to be done at eaclty 39 weeks. luckily lo arrived 2 days after i booked it (she obviously didn't want to come out the sunroof lol), and i managed a VBAC, which went smoothly.

now i've just read your second post, has she not explained the risks of induction and offered an elective section because she sure as hell should've done. x