Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

C-sec run throughs pls

I am not pregnant atm but i have a 3 year old daughter, we all want a baby but i am so scared about the birth were not trying, could anyone please give me there c-sec storys please? I want to know everything! My first birth was absolutley awful i nearly died after 3 days of labour eventually the doctors pulled at one end with forceps and nurses pulling my arms to get baby out so next time definatly csec. My baby was taken of me while they saved my life so i never bonded straight away n bcame 2 overprotective and didnt want anyone else to bond with her. How did you bond?did the bay get taken away? Complications? Thanks all

Replies

• Options
    My section was an emergency one so not exactly the same as a planned one. I was given my spinal during labour but technocally this would be the first thing that would happen in a planned section. When I was on the table the surgeon tests your numbness by spraying really cold stuff up your sides. Ten they put the screen up and strap your hands down, giving you morphine (?) in a drip. You feel a lot of tugging and pulling but no pain at all. Its all very calm. The table I was on was a tilting table so it moves from side to side...not sure what the purpose in it is but nevermind! Once the baby is out the midwives take it over to a special table, make sure baby is ok and cleans him/her up a bit before wrapping the baby up and then if he/she is ok they bring him'her round to you. You can't hold your baby at this stage as they are still operating on you. It takes about half an hour or so to get you stitched up again. As soon as you are in recovery you can have skin to skin contact and bf if thats what you choose. I didn't hve a bother bonding but didn't feel the rush of "love" people talk about til day 2, right in the middle of the night. Most powerful thing ever!!! Establishing feeding wasn't a problem at all and fed him for 14 months! He was really sleepy for the first few days tho but thats to be expected from a section baby, that and the sneezing lol!

My recovery was fine. Don't get me wrong its sore and quite hard to get about in the first few days but by the second week you feel human again!

Good luck with planning your second! And don't worry, sections aren't as bad as they sound.

• Options
    My word! Do they really strap your hands down? That would be very difficult for me. After my first birth i could even walk properly for 2 weeks so maybe i might recover quicker with a c sec! Thank you for your reply it really helps x x
  • Options
    I had an emergancy c section as my baby was 10lbs 4ozs so its no wonder he got stuck. i went into hspital to be induced on the saturday morning but as the hospital was busy they didnt get round to seeing me until dinner time and they induced me and i had contract all day it was exhausting my waters finally broke the following morning at 5am i was in agony couldnt get comfortable (to be honest it hurt but it was bearable so not so bad really lol ) i was given an injection to help me sleep then at 10 am i was but in the labour suite and given an epidural altho that diddent have much effect as i could feel all the pain in my back so i tried pushing for a whole 15 mins lol nothing happened i was 10 cms dialated and the midwife couldnt understand y he wasnt coming out however couldnt feel anything down below it jsut felt like i had a really bad back as this was my 1st child i started to threat as the midwife seemed a bit clueless and he wasnt coming out i wondered if he was ok the doctor came in put the thing that monitors babyes heart beat on me and said the baby was in disstress as he was obviously stuck so he explained he was taking me into theatre to try forceps if that failed he was have to go to a csection at this point i really want bothered i just wanted my baby , he gave me an internal and said no we need to get to theatre now as it wud b pointless doin forceps as he had turned his head on a funny angle so it wouldnt work. i went into thearte the already had me on iv fluids they strapped allsorts of monitors to me and all sorts of things were bleeping there must have been at least 10m ppl in the room different types of doctors n stuff it was a bit scary really. they gave me a spinal block which i didnt feel but it was the best thing ever it felt like a warm sensation came up from my toes to my neck the guy sprayed me from my feet up to my chest to c if i cud feel it which i couldnt until he got to just under my chin this showed the spinal block worked then they put up the screen so i couldnt c wot was going on everyone seemed so calm n laid back which made me feel better i had to doctors at tmy hair just talking to me taking my mind off what was happening it felt like it only took 15 mins but we were in the theatre for 4 hours he told me just before he pulled the baby out so i knew that was where he was up to i waited for that moment for my little boy to cry so i knew he was ok and wen he did i burst out crying they wrapped him up and brought him round so i could c him then took him off across the room so he could be weighed while i was being stitched up i told me oh to go over and c him as he planned to cut the cord but as things went a bit wrong he couldnt so i fort he mite like to go n help clean his child up. my little man was a very hungry baby and wouldnt stop crying so oh and the midwife took him back to the room to feed him then about 10mins later i was wheeled back to the room too i was so weak i couldnt hold my baby for 2 days i lots so much blood i had to be kept in for a week usually it should be 3 days i think but i had alot of complications and that wsa basically it really. it was a wonderful experience but im definatly having an elective c sectioon next time lol if u need any more info just msg me in the baby forum xxxx
  • Options
    Oh My Goodness !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that sounds absolutely horrific i love motherhood im not suprised ur worried about the birth if u have another one.
    i thought my labour was bad and i worry about my next birth , so u must feel 100 times more scared than me . i cant believe they held ur arms !!

however my next baby im def having a elective section.
    my labour started with my waters breaking (walking my dog 11 days overdue) I had contractions every 3 minutes for 45 seconds through the whole of my labour. my labour lasted 32 hours and i wasnt dilating after my baby being back to back , epidural got disconnected and no one believed me that i could feel the contractions, high temperature and the baby hr speed up a bit. i got to 8cms and my body wouldnt go any further anyways.... ended up having an emergency c section ... when i got in to theatre it all went really calm ... the aneasnatis (sp?) but the spinal block in to my back my midwife was infront of me chatting and keeping my calm she was brilliant! then i lay down and i think they put the cathator in? then they put this orange stuff all over my tummy. then they put those sheets up by my chest. my hubby then came in and he held my hand .. and within 2 mins the baby was out ... the baby then they took the baby to the pediatrition (sp?) and thats when i first heard her cry a little bit , then they wrapped her up and passed her to my husband.
    after about 5 minutes my hubby and and the midwife went out and weighed the baby and checked her over . i was in theatre for another 45 mins getting stitched up (well i had staples) and then we were took back to the labour room and then i had skin to skin where i first ever fed my Lo and she fed for 45 minutes!! If i block out my labour and just think about the c section bit ,, i def would be happy just going for an elective section the next time. i hope ur labour doesnt put u off too much and u can have another little one!!!
  • Options
    wow what a birth story that is! I had to have an emergancy section, so again obviously my experience will be different to a planned one.

i started with cotractions at 3in the morning on monday morning(i was due sunday), went into the birth center aroud 7, but by lunch time the contractions stopped...they sent me up to the hospital to be discharged but my bloodpressure was high so they kept me in overnight. Contractions started up again in the early hours and it was about 5.45 when i called for the nurse to come....she EVENTUALLY responded to my buzzing and examined me..i was about 5cm, so i started on the gas and air, but the midwife said she 'couldnt tell which part of baby she could feel(very reasuring i think not!!) anyway, 3 midwifes later and an ultrasound found that baby was breech, so i was rushed off for a section as baby seemed in a hurry to come by this time. My hubby got to the hospital as i was being prepped, and i have to say the birth was lovely. I was 10cmby the time they started the section, so i was lucky to have only had to have a spinal block. It all seemed to happen so quickly and they held my baby girl up so we could identify the sex, It was amazing, and hubby got lots of cuddles once she was weighed and checked over, and once i was stitched up i got lots of cuddles. it was simply lovely.

my auntie had a planned section in january and she loved it because she knew exactly when she was going to have her baby so could plan child care for her other 2 little ones, hubby could book time off in advance, and she went and had her hair done etc the day before so she looks gorgeous in all her photos, plus she loved the fact that she didnt go through any labour pains...where as im really glad i had all the contractions and got to experience labour. xx
  • Options
    hi my labour was awful but the minute they took me thru to theatre it all changed, the theatre staff were cool headed, not flapping about like headless chickens and just generally seemed to know what they were doing, which then put me at ease almost immediately, where as 2 seconds before i was in an horrendous state of panic. spinal block went in and with in a bout 30 seconds my legs were numb. there was 3 people at my head end of the table, the anaesthetist, my OH, and some bloke who jsut generally chats to u all the way thru (not sure thats all he does lol, but thats all i noticed lol), then was the blue sheet just below my chest, right up so i couldn't see anything past that. prepped with the saline and catheter in etc, but once that was all done, abit of numb tugging (felt like when ur foots gone to sleep and u poke it but u can't feel it but u can, if that makes sense) literally about 30seconds and our son came into the world. i heard him cry, then i saw the midwife take him to the table, give it him a bit of a rub just to clear the mucus from his nose, wrapped him in a towell then brought him over to show us. OH held from that point on as obviously i was unable to. the stitching me up was what took ages, i'm guessing was around 45 minutes but to be honest i was knackered and in a bit of daze so cldn'tb tell u exactly, OH was taking thru to the recovery room along with ds, about 30 minutes later once the team had finished cleaning me up etc i was wheeled round. they then weighed him filled out his red book etc, stuck me on drips and what not then i got to have my first cuddle when he was about 2 hours old and we had our first go at breast feeding. there wasn't that huge immediate rush of love,but i knew i loved him and when we have our second if i don't go into labour naturally i will be opting from an elective c section, i can't go thru an induction again as that was in my opinion what cocked things up in the first place and i still have awful panicky flashbacks about that bit now, but when i think of the actual section my general feelings are much calmer and controlled.

xx
  • Options
    mine was pretty much like the others, it was an emergency one, i could choose what music i wanted on, my husband was there through it, they lowred thr screen so we could see her (i've had 2 emergency c sections ,both ghirls and am expecting baby no 3 that will be an elective one) the 2nd one was better cos i knew what to expect, i breast fed as soon as poss afterwards, my husband got baby dressed while they finished off with me. hope that helps!!