Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

vbac birth plans

hi ladies, so i'm provisionally booked in for a vbac now and was just wondering if anyone could help with or share their vbac birth plans, with ds all i did was fill in the preferences bit in the back of the maternity notes (not that that was any use...), i wan't to make it clear thta i want to be as mobile as possible so preferbaly a form of monitoring that enables this (rather than the the crappy straps that constantly lose trace as soon as u move), should i become confined to laying on my back again then i may very well be requesting an epidural, no pethidine but other than than the usual ( birth partner, bf etc etc) i'm not sure what else should be put on there...ta muchly xx 29+0

Replies

• i drummed all my plans into hubby, as i don't think midwifes have ever looked at any of my birth plans.

mobility isn't always poss, but can be even with those strap things on, if they pick up a good trace you can move around, i sadly had to stay on the bed, not that the monitors actually picked up anything, they gave up with finding the heartbeat as everytime they located it bubs would move.

if you have an epidural wait until you are as far gone as poss as i blame the epidural amongst othr things for my emcs.

i found tho that i was capable of telling them all my needs, and i didnt stick to much on my plan, the only thing i was certain of was a VBAC xx
  • For my VBAC I was strapped to the bed. DD1 was a section under a GA for fetal distress so they were very keen to keep a close eye on me second time round.
    My birth plan was a normal one really.
    I specified that I didnt want Pethidine (had it last time and hated it)
    I said I wanted an epidural quite early on (had I had one with DD1 I would possibly been allowed to stay awake for her birth but there wasn't time to put one in so I was knocked out)
    I wanted to tear not have episiotomy.
    And I wanted DH to tell me the sex of the baby.
    I also wanted immediate skin to skin contact.

Thats about it really. Turns out there wasnt time this time round for epidural. Got to 9cm dilated at home and just had Gas and air at the hospital. The did have to inject a bit of local anaesthetic in my lady bits (ha ha TMI) as DD2 was stuck and was a ventouse delivery. The registrar wouldn't do it in the room as I was a VBAC so said she would only do it in theatre incase something went wrong. The on call consultant came in and sucked DD2 out with no problems haha!

Good luck X
  • hi, thanks ladies, my main worry is being flat on my back again like with ds, do u think i'd be able to stipulate that if this was to happen then i would prefer c section? at the moment they keep telling me that although i'll be contiously monitored that i'll still be able to move (yeh right, tahts what they said with ds when i was induced) but i know that that could mean being v uncomfortable on my back and getting no where fast, again. so do u think i'd be able to ask that? that if i need to be completely immobile that i wish to then opt for the c section? but not sure how i'd word it either...xx